* [Q] Which tree should we work agains?
@ 2014-06-10  6:50 Yi Li
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Yi Li @ 2014-06-10  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

Hi Dan,
I’m a kernel newbie, and sorry for bother you in advanced.
From your this email: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.janitors/30739,
you have pointed out we should work against linux-next tree. is it true for all of us?

From this site: https://code.google.com/p/kernel-janitors/, I got this statements:
"Q: What version should I be patching against?
A: Latest "linus" (2.6.x-rcY from kernel.org). Be sure to check -mm and -kj trees to see
	if someone already did that. "
For -mm tree, is it means the linux-mm tree? after reading this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mm_tree,
it seems linux-next is the substitution for linux-mm tree's "new features" functionality.
For the -kj tree, I event can't find it from https://git.kernel.org/cgit website, only found it at here: http://cba.si/kj/
is it outdated, and un-useful?

So, in one word, could you kindly point me out which tree I should work against ?Or just kindly give me the links for document.
Thanks for your help in advanced.

regards,
Yi

* Re: [Q] Which tree should we work agains?
@ 2014-06-10  8:06 ` Dan Carpenter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2014-06-10  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 02:50:45PM +0800, Yi Li wrote:
> Hi Dan,
> I’m a kernel newbie, and sorry for bother you in advanced.
> >From your this email: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.janitors/30739,
> you have pointed out we should work against linux-next tree. is it true for all of us?

Pretty much, unless you are fixing an important bug and then you work
on the latest Linus tree.

> >From this site: https://code.google.com/p/kernel-janitors/, I got this statements:
> "Q: What version should I be patching against?
> A: Latest "linus" (2.6.x-rcY from kernel.org). Be sure to check -mm and -kj trees to see
> 	if someone already did that. "
> For -mm tree, is it means the linux-mm tree? after reading this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mm_tree,
> it seems linux-next is the substitution for linux-mm tree's "new features" functionality.
> For the -kj tree, I event can't find it from https://git.kernel.org/cgit website, only found it at here: http://cba.si/kj/
> is it outdated, and un-useful?

Yes.  Those are all outdated.

> So, in one word, could you kindly point me out which tree I should work against ?Or just kindly give me the links for document.
> Thanks for your help in advanced.

Btw, one constant problem that we have had in kernel janitors is that
the TODO list gets outdated.  I have started tagging my emails if I want
to record something in a TODO list.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/5/28/184
http://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/ksummit-discuss/2014-May/000690.html

I can do a:  `grepmail ^TODO-list inbox` to see my todo list.  Anyone
can add stuff to it.

Eventually, I'm hoping someone will put the TODO list on a webpage, but
for now if you want to subscribe to driver-devel then that's where there
are the most TODO items.

regards,
dan carpenter

* Re: [Q] Which tree should we work agains?
@ 2014-06-10 11:16 ` Dan Carpenter
From: Dan Carpenter @ 2014-06-10 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:29:55AM +0200, Sima Baymani wrote:
> The patch you responded to in that link was aimed for staging. Previously,
> I have understood that staging work is done on staging-next - has this
> changed?

linux-next is compiled each day from staging-next and 100+ other devel
trees.  It might be up to 24 hours behind staging-next but it's
basically the same thing.

regards,
dan carpenter

* Re: [Q] Which tree should we work agains?
@ 2014-06-10 12:22 ` Sima Baymani
From: Sima Baymani @ 2014-06-10 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Dan Carpenter <dan.carpenter@oracle.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:29:55AM +0200, Sima Baymani wrote:
>> The patch you responded to in that link was aimed for staging. Previously,
>> I have understood that staging work is done on staging-next - has this
>> changed?
>
> linux-next is compiled each day from staging-next and 100+ other devel
> trees.  It might be up to 24 hours behind staging-next but it's
> basically the same thing.

That clears things up, thanks!

-Sima

> regards,
> dan carpenter

* Re: [Q] Which tree should we work agains?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-06-10 17:39 ` Yi Li
From: Yi Li @ 2014-06-10 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernel-janitors

于 2014年06月10日 19:16, Dan Carpenter 写道:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 11:29:55AM +0200, Sima Baymani wrote:
>> The patch you responded to in that link was aimed for staging. Previously,
>> I have understood that staging work is done on staging-next - has this
>> changed?
>
> linux-next is compiled each day from staging-next and 100+ other devel
> trees.  It might be up to 24 hours behind staging-next but it's
> basically the same thing.
>
> regards,
> dan carpenter

Thanks, Dan. it is very useful!