* [cip-dev] CIP in the News
@ 2018-03-28 23:15 Maemalynn Meanor
From: Maemalynn Meanor @ 2018-03-28 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi CIP community!

We have a few awesome pieces of content that we wanted to share with you. Today, Linux.com <http://linux.com/> ran an article that highlighted Yoshi?s CIP session from ELC/OpenIoT Summit. You can view it here: https://www.linux.com/blog/event/elc-open-iot/2018/3/civil-infrastructure-platform-sets-out-save-civilization <https://www.linux.com/blog/event/elc-open-iot/2018/3/civil-infrastructure-platform-sets-out-save-civilization>.

We also featured Codethink in this month?s member spotlight. Here?s the link to the blog: https://www.cip-project.org/blog/2018/03/20/cip-member-spotlight-codethink <https://www.cip-project.org/blog/2018/03/20/cip-member-spotlight-codethink>

We ask that you please share these with your social networks.

You can retweet us below:
Linux.com <http://linux.com/> article: https://twitter.com/cip_project/status/979131216703172608 <https://twitter.com/cip_project/status/979131216703172608>
LWM.net <http://lwm.net/>: https://twitter.com/cip_project/status/977092606571302912 <https://twitter.com/cip_project/status/977092606571302912>
Codethink: https://twitter.com/cip_project/status/976323771614277632 <https://twitter.com/cip_project/status/976323771614277632>

If you chose to create your own promotions, please just don?t forget to tag @cip_project.

Thanks!
Mae

Maemalynn Meanor
PR Manager
The Linux Foundation
Maemalynn at linuxfoundation.org
(602) 541-0356
Skype: Maemalynn

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [cip-dev] [cip-members] CIP in the News
@ 2018-03-29  7:30 ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-03-29  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi,

>From the LWN comments, I think there are some points that are not being emphasized enough.

1) CIP has been doing a very important role reviewing the patches of the LTS kernel. The LTS kernel
is used as a base kernel not only by us but also by other industries such as Android and Linux distributions
such as Ubuntu or Debian. All this review is beneficial for the whole community.

2) Some comments say that all this security/bug fixes are meaningless if you are not going
to update your devices. That is not true at all. As time passes the CIP kernel will become more
and more tested (eg because it has been used by several companies and products). Then, when you
want to create a more advanced variation of an existing board, you can start with the latest version
of the CIP kernel and benefit from all that maintenance. In conclusion, being able to update devices every
#N months/years is not the benefit from the CIP kernel project, but also the fact that you
can start with a more and more stable kernel to develop new variations of your boards or products.

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2018-03-29  7:31 ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-03-29  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

only

@ 2018-03-29 18:17   ` Jeff ErnstFriedman
From: Jeff ErnstFriedman @ 2018-03-29 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

@Chris The level of comments on this post is amazing, the conversation
illustrated here shows we are on the right track.

@Sangorrin - I was curious how much of the questions raised were legitimate
concerns vs. misunderstandings by the community. It might be worth it for
the team to comb through the comments and construct a FAQ type page we can
post to the site that can address common concerns misconceptions about SLTS.

*Jeff ErnstFriedman*
*jernstfriedman at linuxfoundation.org <jernstfriedman@linuxfoundation.org> *
*2201 Broadway #604, Oakland, CA 94612*
*mobile: 510.593.1367*
*skype: jeffrey.ernstfriedman*
*twitter: @namdeirf*

@ 2018-03-30  7:49     ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-03-30  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
> might be worth it for the team to comb through the comments and construct a FAQ type page we can post to the site that can address
> common concerns misconceptions about SLTS.

Sure. Probably it would be good to discuss this in person or online so that we can exchange our views on the matter.

Regards,
Daniel Sangorrin

@ 2018-03-30 14:09     ` Maemalynn Meanor
From: Maemalynn Meanor @ 2018-03-30 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

All:

I agree - this highlights that we need to be more aggressive in educating this audience about CIP. I?ll start putting the questions together and will email it to the group to get discussion and clarity of how we should respond. Then, I would suggest adding the Q&A to the CIP website and sharing it on social and with key publications like LWN.net <http://lwn.net/>.

Thanks,
Mae

Maemalynn Meanor
PR Manager