* RE: Mouse going nuts in RH Linux Enterprise 3 (Taroon)
@ 2005-04-07 19:58 Eve Atley
From: Eve Atley @ 2005-04-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

Additionally, the VNC Redhat desktop has no such problems with the mouse.

Thanks,
Eve

From: Richard Adams @ 2005-04-08 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajendra Mishra; +Cc: Ray Olszewski, linux-newbie

On Friday 08 April 2005 07:01, Rajendra Mishra wrote:
> The problem is due to the incompatibility of KVM with
> linux.

I have been using kvm switches here at home and at work for years, i have
never had a problem with any of them.
They switch between windows and linux fine, bsd to linux and visa versa no
problem here at all.

If you use google.com and check out some of the reported problems you will see
that most problems were solved by configuration and had really nothing to do
with KVM switches, it may well seem that the switch is at fault but as i said
mostly its not.

In most all cases its not a hardware problem but another program interfeering
with GPM and or the X server.

> regds,
-

* Re: Mouse going nuts in RH Linux Enterprise 3 (Taroon)
@ 2005-04-08  5:01       ` Rajendra Mishra
From: Rajendra Mishra @ 2005-04-08  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ray Olszewski, linux-newbie

one workaround u can try is to open a terminal, become
root
and issue following command:
$> /etc/init.d/gpm restart

The problem is due to the incompatibility of KVM with
linux.

regds,
-rpm
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 13:37:15 -0700
  Ray Olszewski <ray@comarre.com> wrote:
> At 11:10 PM 4/7/2005 +0300, caszonyi@rdslink.ro wrote:
>>On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Eve Atley wrote:
>>

>>>Simply put...my mouse has started having a mind of its
>>>own in our Redhat
>>>Enterprise Workstation 3 (Taroon) Linux box. It wants to
>>>focus on the bottom
>>>left-hand corner of the screen, and clicks on whatever
>>>happens to be there
>>>at the time (Languages at login, as an example). When I
>>>try to move the
>>>cursor up towards my destination, it insists on
>>>refocusing down at the
>>>bottom left-hand corner of the screen again. And though I
>>>press neither the
>>>left nor right button, it functions as if I am.
>>>
>>>I don't know if any of these are related, but here are a
>>>few things which
>>>lead up to this:
>>>1. desktop crashed after a user killed a window through
>>>remote VNC - I
>>>rebooted the machine
>>>2. I have an entry in vncserver to start up "root:1"
>>>(conflict?) - when a
>>>user remotely connects via VNC, they see a similar
>>>desktop but it's NOT the
>>>same. I can tell, because windows will pop up in the
>>>server that never
>>>appear in the VNC desktop. Icons layout is identical,
>>>however.
>>>3. The mouse in question is a scroll-wheel optical
>>>(Microsoft) and is
>>>connected to a KVM switch. It worked perfect fine
>>>previous to this.
>>>
>>>Any ideas how I can exorcise my mouse? Any corrupted file
>>>to examine
>>>perhaps?
>>
>>see /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config
>>
>>This behaviour is usually associated with wrong driver
>>for mouse
>
> It's also sometimes associated with trying to run X
>locally when a console mouse driver (usually gpm) is also
>running. So check for that too (especially if you reboot
>this system rarely ... you might have fixed this by hand,
>then forgotten you did so).
>
> BTW, depending on the vintage of your system, the X
>config file might be called /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 . To
>sort out the details in it, look for a section called
>"ServerLayout'" and see what mouse-like InputDevice
>entries it has. Then check the sections for them to see
>if they are configured correctly.
>
>Finally, don't rule out the possibility that the KVM
>switch is involved somehow ... if, for example, it is not
>set to connect your mouse to the Linux host when X
>actually starts. I've seen reports on this both ways
>(that it works and that it doesn't) and do not know what
>differentiates the two sets of reports.
>

> -
>"unsubscribe linux-newbie" in
> More majordomo info at
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs

-

* RE: Mouse going nuts in RH Linux Enterprise 3 (Taroon)
@ 2005-04-07 20:44     ` Eve Atley
From: Eve Atley @ 2005-04-07 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Calin Szonyi'; +Cc: linux-newbie

>see /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config

Thanks; I tried reverting back to my XF86Config.backup but that didn't work.
The old and new ones appear to be the same.

And if it helps, it's actually a Logitech PS2 trackball attached to a KVM
switch.

My entries in each show:

XF86Config.backup
------------------
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
        Identifier  "DevInputMice"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

XF86Config
--------------------
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# If the normal CorePointer mouse is not a USB mouse then
# this input device can be used in AlwaysCore mode to let you
# also use USB mice at the same time.
        Identifier  "DevInputMice"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
EndSection

- Eve

-

* Re: Mouse going nuts in RH Linux Enterprise 3 (Taroon)
@ 2005-04-07 20:37     ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2005-04-07 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

@ 2005-04-07 20:10   ` caszonyi
From: caszonyi @ 2005-04-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eve Atley; +Cc: linux-newbie

--
?

-

* Mouse going nuts in RH Linux Enterprise 3 (Taroon)
@ 2005-04-07 19:57 ` Eve Atley