* Development Environment Setup
@ 2010-05-17  1:29 Albert Krawczyk
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Albert Krawczyk @ 2010-05-17  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi,

I'm curious, what is the recommended / typical setup for Git development?

Do people use IDEs? If they do what are they?

I'm looking to do dev on Ubuntu.

Thanks,
Albert

* Re: Development Environment Setup
@ 2010-05-17  5:23 ` Gabriel Filion
       [not found] ` <12452_1274073815_4BF0D2D7_12452_439_1_4BF0D2CC.8090605@gmail.com>
From: Gabriel Filion @ 2010-05-17  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert Krawczyk; +Cc: git

On 2010-05-16 21:29, Albert Krawczyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm curious, what is the recommended / typical setup for Git development?
>
> Do people use IDEs? If they do what are they?
>
> I'm looking to do dev on Ubuntu.

Git has a couple of solution up its sleeves. Depending on which kind of
IDE you're typically using, you can use the right plugin or interface
for your needs.

If you like Eclipse as an IDE, EGit will be for you.

have a look at this list:

https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/InterfacesFrontendsAndTools#Editors_and_IDE_integration

And, higher up on the page, you can find descriptions for graphical
interfaces for git.

--
Gabriel Filion

@ 2010-05-17  5:40   ` Albert Krawczyk
From: Albert Krawczyk @ 2010-05-17  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Gabriel Filion'; +Cc: git

Hi Gabriel,

I probably expressed myself incorrectly.

What IDE do people use to develop / debug Git.

Albert

@ 2010-05-17  6:53 ` Howard Miller
From: Howard Miller @ 2010-05-17  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert Krawczyk; +Cc: git

> I'm curious, what is the recommended / typical setup for Git development?
>
> Do people use IDEs? If they do what are they?
>
> I'm looking to do dev on Ubuntu.
>
> Thanks,
> Albert

I've been doing development of one sort or another for longer than I
care to remember and currently develop PHP on (mostly) Ubuntu. I've
never found anything that beats the speed and versatility of
vim/ctags/git. I have tried (more than once usually) all the IDEs I
can but, clever though they are, they always seem to get in the way.

In case you have any doubt about it, git has made the single biggest
difference to my productivity that I can think of for a long, long
time.

* Re: Development Environment Setup
@ 2010-05-17  8:00     ` Michael J Gruber
From: Michael J Gruber @ 2010-05-17  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Albert Krawczyk; +Cc: 'Gabriel Filion', git

Albert Krawczyk venit, vidit, dixit 17.05.2010 07:40:
> Hi Gabriel,
>
> I probably expressed myself incorrectly.
>
> What IDE do people use to develop / debug Git.
>
> Albert

You expressed yourself correctly but top-posted in response which is
worse ;)

Git as a project isn't that large, I would think that most people's
"IDE" is vim/emacs plus bash/dash for the C, shell and Perl parts. In
fact, "git blame", "git log" and "git bisect" are probably among the
most important tools for Git development, but all of them trailing the
utmost important one:

more Documentation/SubmittingPatches

Cheers,
Michael