* Re: How to send a break?
@ 2006-05-29  7:51 Haar János
From: Haar János @ 2006-05-29  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hpa; +Cc: linux-kernel

"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> az alábbiakat írta a következo üzenetben
news:e5dacu$v33$1@terminus.zytor.com...
> Followup to:  <01b701c6818d$4bcd37b0$1800a8c0@dcccs>
> By author:    =?iso-8859-2?Q?Haar_J=E1nos?= <djani22@netcenter.hu>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Hello, list,
> >
> > I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on
the
> > serial line, using echo.
> >
> > I mean like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> > sleep 2
> > echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0
> >

> You can't use it using echo, however, you can do it using Perl:
>
> perl -e 'use POSIX; tcsendbreak(1,0);' > /dev/ttyS0

Ahh, thats what i am waiting for, thanks! :-)

Works fine!

Thanks,
Janos

> -hpa
> -

* Re: How to send a break?
@ 2006-05-29 17:32     ` Haar János
From: Haar János @ 2006-05-29 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis.Kletnieks; +Cc: linux-kernel

From: Valdis.Kletnieks @ 2006-05-29 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-os (Dick Johnson); +Cc: Haar János, linux-kernel

On Mon, 29 May 2006 11:08:15 EDT, "linux-os (Dick Johnson)" said:

> On Sat, 27 May 2006, [iso-8859-2] Haar János wrote:
>
> > Hello, list,
> >
> > I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on the
> > serial line, using echo.
> >
> > I mean like this:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> > sleep 2
> > echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Janos
> >

> Can't you use /proc/sysrq-trigger?

That can be tricky if the other end of /dev/ttyS0 is plugged into a debugging
serial port on an embedded system where you don't have easy access to a shell.

Or for that matter, if you're trying to talk to the serial port on a non-embedded
system, which is too far into OOM thrashing for you to be able to get a
usable shell prompt.....

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 226 bytes --]

* Re: How to send a break?
@ 2006-05-29 15:08 ` linux-os (Dick Johnson)
From: linux-os (Dick Johnson) @ 2006-05-29 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haar János; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 27 May 2006, [iso-8859-2] Haar János wrote:

> Hello, list,
>
> I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on the
> serial line, using echo.
>
> I mean like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> sleep 2
> echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0
>
> Thanks,
> Janos

Can't you use /proc/sysrq-trigger?

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.16.4 on an i686 machine (5592.73 BogoMips).
New book: http://www.AbominableFirebug.com/
_
\x1a\x04

The information transmitted in this message is confidential and may be privileged.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination, or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify Analogic Corporation immediately - by replying to this message or by sending an email to DeliveryErrors@analogic.com - and destroy all copies of this information, including any attachments, without reading or disclosing them.

Thank you.

* Re: How to send a break?
@ 2006-05-28 23:06 ` H. Peter Anvin
From: H. Peter Anvin @ 2006-05-28 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2006-05-27 23:43 ` Jim Crilly
From: Jim Crilly @ 2006-05-27 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haar János; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 05/27/06 02:58:44PM +0200, Haar János wrote:
> Hello, list,
>
> I wish to know, how to send a "BREAK" to trigger the sysreq functions on the
> serial line, using echo.
>
> I mean like this:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> echo "?BREAK?" >/dev/ttyS0
> sleep 2
> echo "m" >/dev/ttyS0

Is there a reason you can't use "echo -n m > /proc/sysrq-trigger"?

Jim.

* How to send a break?
@ 2006-05-27 12:58 Haar János
                   ` (2 more replies)