* Is there a DER for the MPC82xx?
@ 2005-01-25 22:54 annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2005-01-25 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Is there something similar to a DER (debug enable
register on a MPC8xx) on the MPC82xx processor? I was
unable to find anything similar to that on this
processor. According to the MPC8280 Reference Manual,
Appendix A.3, it says something about Chapter 36 being
the "System Development and Debugging" chapter. Well,
chapter 36 happens to be FCC ethernet stuff. Can
someone point me in the right direction here?

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

* Re: Is there a DER for the MPC82xx?
@ 2005-01-26 18:53 ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2005-01-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya, linuxppc-embedded

Can someone tell me if the BDI will be able to catch
all different kinds of exceptions/interrupts on the
MPC82xx without requiring any special register
programming? I am unable to find anything that that
resembles the DER register on the MPC8280.

--- annamaya <annamaya@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there something similar to a DER (debug enable
> register on a MPC8xx) on the MPC82xx processor? I
> was
> unable to find anything similar to that on this
> processor. According to the MPC8280 Reference
> Manual,
> Appendix A.3, it says something about Chapter 36
> being
> the "System Development and Debugging" chapter.
> Well,
> chapter 36 happens to be FCC ethernet stuff. Can
> someone point me in the right direction here?

http://my.yahoo.com

* Re: Is there a DER for the MPC82xx?
@ 2005-01-26 19:01   ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2005-01-26 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Jan 26, 2005, at 10:53 AM, annamaya wrote:

> Can someone tell me if the BDI will be able to catch
> all different kinds of exceptions/interrupts on the
> MPC82xx without requiring any special register
> programming? I am unable to find anything that that
> resembles the DER register on the MPC8280.

The BDI2000 works very nicely on 82xx processors.
The 82xx debug unit is the standard COP interface,
completely different from the 8xx debug interface.
Stop looking for a DER on the 82xx, plug in the
BDI2000 and use it.  Make sure you understand all
of the features of the BDI2000, as even on the 8xx
you should not be worrying about the DER. Let the
BDI2000 configure all of that accordingly based upon
what you are asking it to do.

	-- Dan

* Re: Is there a DER for the MPC82xx?
@ 2005-01-26 19:15     ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2005-01-26 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I do not understand the standard
COP interface very well, and hence the confusion.

On the 8xx, I had to worry about the DER cause that
was exactly what was set in the config file early on.
For example, if I did not have the external interrupt
bit set, I could not see that an external reset signal
was being asserted. Instead, all I would see is a
machine check somewhere else in the code.

I guess I am fine on the 82xx then. Great!

--- Dan Malek <dan@embeddededge.com> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2005, at 10:53 AM, annamaya wrote:
>
> > Can someone tell me if the BDI will be able to
> catch
> > all different kinds of exceptions/interrupts on
> the
> > MPC82xx without requiring any special register
> > programming? I am unable to find anything that
> that
> > resembles the DER register on the MPC8280.
>
> The BDI2000 works very nicely on 82xx processors.
> The 82xx debug unit is the standard COP interface,
> completely different from the 8xx debug interface.
> Stop looking for a DER on the 82xx, plug in the
> BDI2000 and use it.  Make sure you understand all
> of the features of the BDI2000, as even on the 8xx
> you should not be worrying about the DER. Let the
> BDI2000 configure all of that accordingly based upon
> what you are asking it to do.
>

> 	-- Dan

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

* Re: Is there a DER for the MPC82xx?
@ 2005-01-26 20:33     ` Mark Chambers
From: Mark Chambers @ 2005-01-26 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek, annamaya; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

From: "Dan Malek" <dan@embeddededge.com>

> On Jan 26, 2005, at 10:53 AM, annamaya wrote:
>
> > Can someone tell me if the BDI will be able to catch
> > all different kinds of exceptions/interrupts on the
> > MPC82xx without requiring any special register
> > programming? I am unable to find anything that that
> > resembles the DER register on the MPC8280.
>
> The BDI2000 works very nicely on 82xx processors.
> The 82xx debug unit is the standard COP interface,
> completely different from the 8xx debug interface.
> Stop looking for a DER on the 82xx, plug in the
> BDI2000 and use it.  Make sure you understand all
> of the features of the BDI2000, as even on the 8xx
> you should not be worrying about the DER. Let the
> BDI2000 configure all of that accordingly based upon
> what you are asking it to do.

Well, the DER lets you look for multiple conditions at
once.  Your program is blowing up, the memory is
getting trashed and you don't even know if the hardware
is valid - that's where BDM really shines.  I don't see
where COP let's you do the equivalent of setting a
bunch of bits in the DER, so please enlighten us if
we're missing it!

Mark Chambers

P.S. I've read the BDI manual - I don't see it.  My manual
says the BDI can only set one hardware breakpoint, and
stuff like VECTOR CATCH assumes valid memory.

* Re: Is there a DER for the MPC82xx?
@ 2005-01-26 21:19       ` Dan Malek
From: Dan Malek @ 2005-01-26 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Chambers; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

On Jan 26, 2005, at 12:33 PM, Mark Chambers wrote:

> P.S. I've read the BDI manual - I don't see it.  My manual
> says the BDI can only set one hardware breakpoint, and
> stuff like VECTOR CATCH assumes valid memory.

The BDI2000 lets you set as many hardware breakpoints
as the processor supports.  The VECTOR CATCH is equivalent
to setting of the bits in the DER.  I don't know where you
determined it requires valid memory, as it catches the vector
before it starts to execute the instructions in the trap handler.
I don't know the COP details, there may be versions that don't
have sufficient hardware support, and in that case it would
have to be implemented by stuffing breakpoints into all of
the vector tables, but that is just speculation on my part and
have never seen that done.  I've used VECTOR CATCH on
603 cores and had it trap properly before memory was initialized.
Using VECTOR CATCH seems to have no effect on setting
other breakpoints.

Yes, you can manually set bits in the DER and get a different
control over the debugging environment, but you have to
be conscious of what the BDI2000 is also trying to do with
that and other debug registers, too :-)

	-- Dan

* Re: Is there a DER for the MPC82xx?
@ 2005-01-26 21:37         ` Mark Chambers
From: Mark Chambers @ 2005-01-26 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

> The BDI2000 lets you set as many hardware breakpoints
> as the processor supports.  The VECTOR CATCH is equivalent
> ...I've used VECTOR CATCH on
> 603 cores and had it trap properly before memory was initialized.
> Using VECTOR CATCH seems to have no effect on setting
> other breakpoints.

Cool.  I was basing my comment on the fact that the BDI manual
says it must have write access to 0000-1FFF

Thanks,
Mark

* Re: Is there a DER for the MPC82xx?
@ 2005-01-26 22:22         ` annamaya
From: annamaya @ 2005-01-26 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Malek, Mark Chambers; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Dan and Mark,

Thanks for talking about this a little more and making
it a much clearer for me. I do have VECTOR CATCH
enabled. I am going to keep my fingers crossed. :-)