* mv88e6xxx assisted learning on CPU port
@ 2023-01-22  4:15 Aaron Thompson
From: Aaron Thompson @ 2023-01-22  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Waldekranz, Vladimir Oltean; +Cc: netdev

Hi Tobias, Vladimir, et al.,

Just a quick question: Is there a reason why the patch to enable
assisted_learning_on_cpu_port for mv88e6xxx never made it to mainline?
It was included in this RFC series:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210224114350.2791260-14-olteanv@gmail.com/

But not in the series that eventually made it to mainline. In my
searching on lore, I haven't been able to find anything else about it,
yea or nay.

Thanks,
-- Aaron

* Re: mv88e6xxx assisted learning on CPU port
@ 2023-01-22 13:10 ` Vladimir Oltean
From: Vladimir Oltean @ 2023-01-22 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Thompson; +Cc: Tobias Waldekranz, netdev

On Sun, Jan 22, 2023 at 04:15:08AM +0000, Aaron Thompson wrote:
> Hi Tobias, Vladimir, et al.,
>
> Just a quick question: Is there a reason why the patch to enable
> assisted_learning_on_cpu_port for mv88e6xxx never made it to mainline? It
> was included in this RFC series:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20210224114350.2791260-14-olteanv@gmail.com/
>
> But not in the series that eventually made it to mainline. In my searching
> on lore, I haven't been able to find anything else about it, yea or nay.
>
> Thanks,
> -- Aaron

Because since commit ce5df6894a57 ("net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: map virtual
bridges with forwarding offload in the PVT"), the mv88e6xxx driver
supports a more potent feature (bridge TX forwarding offload), which
sends packets from software to the switch in a way in which the switch
can automatically learn their MAC SA + VLAN ID, among other benefits.
More details can be found here:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/networking/dsa/dsa.html#bridge-layer