* On the issue of direct I/O and csum warnings
@ 2021-07-23 14:55 Jonas Aaberg
From: Jonas Aaberg @ 2021-07-23 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi,

I use btrfs on dm-crypt. About two months ago, I started to get:

--
BTRFS warning (device dm-0): csum failed root 257 ino 1068852 off
25690112 csum 0xa27faf9a expected csum 0x4c266278 mirror 1 BTRFS error

kind of warning/errors on my laptop. I went a bought a new NVME disk
because I'm rather found of my data, eventhough most is backup-ed up.

A week later, I started to get the same kind of warning/error message
on my new NVME. After half a day of memtest86, resulted in no memory
errors found, I gave up on my otherwise stable laptop and started to
use an old laptop that I've been to lazy to sell instead while looking
out for a decent pre-owned newer laptop.

Now I'm just about to install and move over to a newly bought laptop,
when today my old laptop started to show the same warning/errors.
My old laptop does not share a single part with the laptop which I
previous got the "checksum failure" warnings on. Therefore I have a hard
time to believe that I've gotten the same hardware failure twice.

Then I found:
<https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Gotchas> and "Direct I/O and
CRCs".

Which I believe is what I've ran into. One of the affect files is
a log file from syncthing on both computers.

Some people might have been quite pissed off having bought a new
NVME disk and another laptop in vain, but I'm a relieved that I
think I've found the root cause of.
I've used btrfs for about ten years and together with the "btrfs"
tool I find btrfs a very pleasant experience.

I have just one humble request, please do something about this
checksum error message. Just add printk with a link to:
<https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Gotchas> and the issue of
"Direct I/O and CRCs".

Maybe update the wiki with:
`find <mountpoint> -inum <ino-number-from-warning-message>`
would be a helpful as well.

Thanks.

Best regards,
 Jonas Aaberg