* bad file permissions: write but no read access
@ 2021-10-01 11:04 Matthias Bodenbinder
From: Matthias Bodenbinder @ 2021-10-01 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecryptfs

Hi,

I hundreds of files in my ecryptfs home which I can write (e.g. rename them) but I can not read them resp. open them. A chmod as
user or even as root is not working.

Example:

34# file wencke-18te.xcf
wencke-18te.xcf: writable, regular file, no read permission

35# ll wencke-18te.xcf
.rw-r--r-- matthias matthias 41 MB Thu Aug  3 16:00:46 2017 wencke-18te.xcf

36# getfacl wencke-18te.xcf
# file: wencke-18te.xcf
# owner: matthias
# group: matthias
user::rw-
group::r--
other::r--

37# chmod 644 wencke-18te.xcf
chmod: changing permissions of 'wencke-18te.xcf': Input/output error

The underlying ecryptfs directory /home/.ecryptfs/matthias/ with .Private and .ecryptfs subdirectories is readable without error.
I can rsync it to my backup server. But when I mount it from the backup server with ecryptfs-recover-private I have the same
issue.

What can I do to fix that and make the files readable again?

Matthias

* Re: bad file permissions: write but no read access
@ 2021-10-01 15:11 ` Matthias Bodenbinder
From: Matthias Bodenbinder @ 2021-10-01 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ecryptfs

I notice messages like this in the journal for each such file Itry to read:

kernel: Valid eCryptfs headers not found in file header region or xattr region, inode 105438

How can this be fixed?

Matthias