* b4 cover-letter in single patch submission
@ 2022-09-21 12:23 Amjad Ouled-Ameur
From: Amjad Ouled-Ameur @ 2022-09-21 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tools

Hi,

I would like to open a discussion regarding b4 tool. I read in the b4
doc that it will always

include a cover-letter even when sending a single patch [0]. This is
regarded as a proactive

feature in case the submitter is later asked to split up the single the
patch to many patches.

However, this can upset maintainers and reviewers when a single patch
(that does not need

to be split up) is sent with a cover letter that would probably contain
the same title and text

as the single patch.

My humble opinion is, adding a cover letter to a single patch should be
an optional feature.

In this case, it might even be convenient to keep the change-id and
changelog in the patch's

comment section.

[0]:
https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/latest/contributor/prep.html#what-if-i-only-have-a-single-patch

Regards,

Amjad

* Re: b4 cover-letter in single patch submission
@ 2022-09-22 18:01 ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-09-22 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amjad Ouled-Ameur; +Cc: tools

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 02:23:18PM +0200, Amjad Ouled-Ameur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to open a discussion regarding b4 tool. I read in the b4 doc
> that it will always include a cover-letter even when sending a single patch
> [0]. This is regarded as a proactive feature in case the submitter is later
> asked to split up the single the patch to many patches.
>
> However, this can upset maintainers and reviewers when a single patch (that
> does not need to be split up) is sent with a cover letter that would
> probably contain the same title and text as the single patch.
>
> My humble opinion is, adding a cover letter to a single patch should be an
> optional feature.
>
> In this case, it might even be convenient to keep the change-id and
> changelog in the patch's comment section.

I agree, I never really liked forcing the cover letter on a single-patch
series. I've committed the initial implementation of mixing in the contents of
the cover letter into the patch basement itself. The implementation is not as
clean as I would have hoped it to be, but it seems to do the right thing in
most of my tests.

Please try it out and see if that's more like something you were thinking.

I'll backport it to 0.10.y as well.

-Konstantin

* Re: b4 cover-letter in single patch submission
@ 2022-09-27  9:34   ` Amjad Ouled-Ameur
From: Amjad Ouled-Ameur @ 2022-09-27  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: tools

Hi Konstantin,

On 9/22/22 20:01, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 02:23:18PM +0200, Amjad Ouled-Ameur wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to open a discussion regarding b4 tool. I read in the b4 doc
>> that it will always include a cover-letter even when sending a single patch
>> [0]. This is regarded as a proactive feature in case the submitter is later
>> asked to split up the single the patch to many patches.
>>
>> However, this can upset maintainers and reviewers when a single patch (that
>> does not need to be split up) is sent with a cover letter that would
>> probably contain the same title and text as the single patch.
>>
>> My humble opinion is, adding a cover letter to a single patch should be an
>> optional feature.
>>
>> In this case, it might even be convenient to keep the change-id and
>> changelog in the patch's comment section.
> I agree, I never really liked forcing the cover letter on a single-patch
> series. I've committed the initial implementation of mixing in the contents of
> the cover letter into the patch basement itself. The implementation is not as
> clean as I would have hoped it to be, but it seems to do the right thing in
> most of my tests.
>
> Please try it out and see if that's more like something you were thinking.
>
> I'll backport it to 0.10.y as well.

Thank you for taking this into consideration, looking forward to using
v0.10.1 :)

Regards,

Amjad

@ 2022-10-04 10:08     ` Amjad Ouled-Ameur
From: Amjad Ouled-Ameur @ 2022-10-04 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev; +Cc: tools

Hi Konstantin,

I have tried v0.10.1, cover letter is no longer sent when dealing with a
single patch,

thank you for the fix. However, the cover letter is instead embedded
into the

"under-the-cut" portion of the patch, this means the user still has to
unnecessary

fill the cover letter ; because keeping the cover template as-is will
result into "b4 send"

failing. My suggestion is not include the cover's title and description
into the patch,

I think keeping only "base-commit" and "change-id" is enough.

Regards,

Amjad

@ 2022-10-07 18:08       ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2022-10-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amjad Ouled-Ameur; +Cc: tools

On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 12:08:36PM +0200, Amjad Ouled-Ameur wrote:
> Hi Konstantin,
>
> I have tried v0.10.1, cover letter is no longer sent when dealing with a
> single patch, thank you for the fix. However, the cover letter is instead
> embedded into the "under-the-cut" portion of the patch, this means the user
> still has to unnecessary fill the cover letter ; because keeping the cover
> template as-is will result into "b4 send" failing. My suggestion is not
> include the cover's title and description into the patch, I think keeping
> only "base-commit" and "change-id" is enough.

I felt there were good reasons to go with the solution that I put in place,
specifically:

1. keeping a separate cover letter makes it easy to keep track of changelog
   entries
2. breaking a single patch up into multiple patches is a very common feedback

One of the biggest problems I'm trying to deal with right now is the fact that
cover letters are so free-form. When we encounter a cover letter format that
we don't recognize, we're likely to do something wrong.

I'm considering enforcing the cover letter format to be more rigid -- at least
when managed by b4, but I'm likely to encounter resistance from users.

-K

* Re: b4 cover-letter in single patch submission
@ 2022-10-10  7:05         ` Mattijs Korpershoek
From: Mattijs Korpershoek @ 2022-10-10  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Ryabitsev, Amjad Ouled-Ameur; +Cc: tools

On ven., oct. 07, 2022 at 14:08, Konstantin Ryabitsev <konstantin@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 04, 2022 at 12:08:36PM +0200, Amjad Ouled-Ameur wrote:
>> Hi Konstantin,
>>
>> I have tried v0.10.1, cover letter is no longer sent when dealing with a
>> single patch, thank you for the fix. However, the cover letter is instead
>> embedded into the "under-the-cut" portion of the patch, this means the user
>> still has to unnecessary fill the cover letter ; because keeping the cover
>> template as-is will result into "b4 send" failing. My suggestion is not
>> include the cover's title and description into the patch, I think keeping
>> only "base-commit" and "change-id" is enough.
>
> I felt there were good reasons to go with the solution that I put in place,
> specifically:
>
> 1. keeping a separate cover letter makes it easy to keep track of changelog
>    entries
> 2. breaking a single patch up into multiple patches is a very common feedback

I agree with Konstantin on this. I've used b4 for single patch sending
as well and to me it works well the way it is today:
* changelog (for the single patch) is done in the separate commit
* changelog is then appended

I do remove the "commit title" from the cover letter commit to have a
better overall format.