* isotp in mainline?
@ 2020-06-11 15:43 Drew Fustini
From: Drew Fustini @ 2020-06-11 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oliver Hartkopp; +Cc: linux-can

Hi Oliver,

Hope you are doing well.

I'm reviewing patches we add to our beaglebone kernel build [0] and
remembered that we added isotp for the Macchina P1 adapter [1].

Is there a current effort to get the isotp driver accepted into mainline?

Thanks,
Drew

[0] https://github.com/RobertCNelson/ti-linux-kernel-dev/tree/ti-linux-5.4.y/patches/can_isotp
[1] https://www.macchina.cc/catalog/p1-boards/p1-under-dash

* Re: isotp in mainline?
@ 2020-06-12 13:47 ` Patrick Menschel
From: Patrick Menschel @ 2020-06-12 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Fustini; +Cc: linux-can

Hi Drew,

> Is there a current effort to get the isotp driver accepted into mainline?

I believe ISOTP has been mainline for quite a while.

I remember writing a test script when Python 3.7 came out in Aug 2018
and added the isotp socket type to socket class [1].

I tested on a X86_64 machine with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, so it must have been
mainline at that time.

Regards,
Patrick

[1]
https://docs.python.org/3.7/library/socket.html?highlight=socket#socket.CAN_ISOTP

* Re: isotp in mainline?
@ 2020-06-12 15:36   ` Drew Fustini
From: Drew Fustini @ 2020-06-12 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Menschel; +Cc: linux-can, Marc Kleine-Budde, Oliver Hartkopp

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 03:47:45PM +0200, Patrick Menschel wrote:
> Hi Drew,
>
> > Is there a current effort to get the isotp driver accepted into mainline?
>
> I believe ISOTP has been mainline for quite a while.
>
> I remember writing a test script when Python 3.7 came out in Aug 2018
> and added the isotp socket type to socket class [1].
>
> I tested on a X86_64 machine with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, so it must have been
> mainline at that time.
>
> Regards,
> Patrick
>
> [1]
> https://docs.python.org/3.7/library/socket.html?highlight=socket#socket.CAN_ISOTP

Hi Patrick,

Maybe it was just to a test to see if the the protocol type existed?

It does look like the protocol is defined in include/uapi/linux/can.h:

#define CAN_ISOTP	6 /* ISO 15765-2 Transport Protocol */

However, there does not appear to be any implementation in the mainline
kernel.

I recall Oliver mentioning that he should try to mainline isotp modules
at the end of the J1939 talk at ELC-E last October [1]. I don't see any
posts regarding isotp in the linux-can archives since then, so I thought
I would bring it up.

Thanks,
Drew

[0] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.7/source/include/uapi/linux/can.h#L159
[1] https://youtu.be/3NfN8B4-w8w?t=2052

* Re: isotp in mainline?
@ 2020-06-12 20:00     ` Patrick Menschel
From: Patrick Menschel @ 2020-06-12 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Fustini; +Cc: linux-can

> Maybe it was just to a test to see if the the protocol type existed?
>
> It does look like the protocol is defined in include/uapi/linux/can.h:
>
> #define CAN_ISOTP	6 /* ISO 15765-2 Transport Protocol */
>
> However, there does not appear to be any implementation in the mainline
> kernel.
>
> I recall Oliver mentioning that he should try to mainline isotp modules
> at the end of the J1939 talk at ELC-E last October [1]. I don't see any
> posts regarding isotp in the linux-can archives since then, so I thought
> I would bring it up.

Hi,

you're perfectly right. I just tested that script on a fresh ubuntu
20.04 install and it turns out, isotp-module is missing.

"OSError: [Errno 93] Protocol not supported"

I must have compiled it by hand back then.

--Patrick