* Re: [ANNOUNCE] BFS CPU scheduler v0.450 with SMT nice support for linux-3.16
@ 2014-12-03  8:12 Hillf Danton
From: Hillf Danton @ 2014-12-03  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Con Kolivas'; +Cc: linux-kernel, Hillf Danton

Hey Con

> This is to announce a resync and  update of the Brain Fuck Scheduler,
> version 0.450 for the latest stable linux kernel.

[...]
> The patch against linux-3.16(.x) is available here:
> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.16/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch

$ grep -nr above_background_load  bfs/src
bfs/src/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch:689:+bool above_background_load(void);
bfs/src/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch:736:+static inline bool above_background_load(void)
bfs/src/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch:1665:+bool above_background_load(void)

Would you please pin-point what is that routine used for?

Thanks
Hillf

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] BFS CPU scheduler v0.450 with SMT nice support for linux-3.16
@ 2014-12-07 20:26 ` Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2014-12-07 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hillf Danton; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 3 December 2014 at 19:12, Hillf Danton <hillf.zj@alibaba-inc.com> wrote:
> Hey Con

Hi Hilf

>> This is to announce a resync and  update of the Brain Fuck Scheduler,
>> version 0.450 for the latest stable linux kernel.
>>
> [...]
>> The patch against linux-3.16(.x) is available here:
>> http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.16/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch
>>
> $ grep -nr above_background_load  bfs/src
> bfs/src/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch:689:+bool above_background_load(void);
> bfs/src/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch:736:+static inline bool above_background_load(void)
> bfs/src/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch:1665:+bool above_background_load(void)
>
> Would you please pin-point what is that routine used for?

This function used to be used with the VM tweaks that the -ck patchset
used to come with. I have since deprecated those VM tweaks but the
function remains in the scheduler. You're right to point it out and
I'll remove it when I resync with 3.18 (it's still in the BFS 458
patch for 3.17).

Thanks,
Con

@ 2014-08-16  5:40 Con Kolivas
From: Con Kolivas @ 2014-08-16  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

This is to announce a resync and  update of the Brain Fuck Scheduler,
version 0.450 for the latest stable linux kernel.

In addition to the usual round of fixes and changes to resync with mainline
changes, this release brings a new feature of configurable SMT nice support.

The configuration help follows to explain:

Enabling Hyperthreading on Intel CPUs decreases the effectiveness
of the use of 'nice' levels and different scheduling policies
(e.g. realtime) due to sharing of CPU power between hyperthreads.
SMT nice support makes each logical CPU aware of what is running on
its hyperthread siblings, maintaining appropriate distribution of
CPU according to nice levels and scheduling policies at the expense
of slightly increased overhead.

This code is based on my original idea from ten years ago discussed here:
http://lwn.net/Articles/73614/

A full discussion of the rationale and development follows here:
http://ck-hack.blogspot.com/2014/08/smthyperthreading-nice-and-scheduling.html

The patch against linux-3.16(.x) is available here:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/3.0/3.16/3.16-sched-bfs-450.patch

A -ck branded linux-3.16-ck1 patch is available here:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/3.0/3.16/3.16-ck1/

All patches available here:
http://ck.kolivas.org/patches

Code blog: