* OpenBMC health statistics
@ 2020-06-29 15:54 Matuszczak, Piotr
From: Matuszczak, Piotr @ 2020-06-29 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hello,

I would like to upload the OpenBMC health statistics design guide for people that would like to integrate the OpenBMC to their platforms. I would not like to put it into /docs/designs, since this is not exactly design how it will be implemented. This document was meant to guide the OpenBMC users how they can implement BMC health statistics themselves.

The question is, where would be the best place to upload such document?

Piotr Matuszczak
Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
ul. Slowackiego 173, 80-298 Gdansk
KRS 101882
NIP 957-07-52-316

* Re: OpenBMC health statistics
@ 2020-06-29 17:53 ` krtaylor
From: krtaylor @ 2020-06-29 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matuszczak, Piotr, openbmc

On 6/29/20 10:54 AM, Matuszczak, Piotr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to upload the OpenBMC health statistics design guide for people that would like to integrate the OpenBMC to their platforms. I would not like to put it into /docs/designs, since this is not exactly design how it will be implemented. This document was meant to guide the OpenBMC users how they can implement BMC health statistics themselves.

I don't see a problem with a guidelines/best practices type guide living
in docs, but prob not in designs. Maybe in architecture or userguide or
development? Kind of hard to say without seeing it. You could also
always add it to the wiki.

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)

@ 2020-06-29 18:49   ` Khetan, Sharad
From: Khetan, Sharad @ 2020-06-29 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: krtaylor, Matuszczak, Piotr, openbmc

I agree. Based on description it appears the best fit is docs/development, as developers will need to provide right hooks.

If its really end-user focused, then it can perhaps go in userguide - which needs a lot more documentation 😊 for users.

Thanks,
-Sharad

@ 2020-06-29 20:20     ` Vijay Khemka

@ 2020-06-30 18:52       ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-06-30 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, Khetan, Sharad, krtaylor, Matuszczak, Piotr, openbmc

On 6/29/20 3:20 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
> We can have a folder "how to" under guidelines and this document should fit there.

That makes sense to me.  I want document stuff for both system
integrators (who put together firmware images) and system administrators
(who perform BMC initial configurations, oversee BMC operation, etc.).
We also need a place for documentation for things like how to use
BMCWeb's mTLS feature which cuts across system integration and
administration.  Details: https://github.com/ibm-openbmc/dev/issues/1531

- Joseph

@ 2020-06-30 19:51       ` Milton Miller II
From: Milton Miller II @ 2020-06-30 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds
  Cc: Vijay Khemka, Khetan, Sharad, krtaylor, Matuszczak, Piotr, openbmc

On 06/30/2020 around 01:54PM in some timezone, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>On 6/29/20 3:20 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
>> We can have a folder "how to" under guidelines and this document
>should fit there.
>
>That makes sense to me.  I want document stuff for both system
>integrators (who put together firmware images) and system
>administrators
>(who perform BMC initial configurations, oversee BMC operation,
>etc.).
>We also need a place for documentation for things like how to use
>BMCWeb's mTLS feature which cuts across system integration and
>administration.

Speaking of which, we added the document but didn't link to it in
either the top level or the user guide section so you have to
stumble across it.

https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/security/TLS-configuration.md

Maybe here? https://github.com/openbmc/docs/#openbmc-usage

> Details:
>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_ibm-2
>Dopenbmc_dev_issues_1531&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=bvv7AJEE
>CoRKBU02rcu4F5DWd-EwX8As2xrXeO9ZSo4&m=XCL8eI954f4equF5mjno80k9RtQpNBr
>kFoWrttLHUF8&s=fzPBC2_zSgHFF0Ku_87QXPBll5CYqC9LTDO9BDVCvLQ&e=
>
>- Joseph

milton

* RE: OpenBMC health statistics
@ 2020-07-01 15:05         ` Matuszczak, Piotr
From: Matuszczak, Piotr @ 2020-07-01 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Milton Miller II, Joseph Reynolds
  Cc: Vijay Khemka, Khetan, Sharad, krtaylor, openbmc

Thank you for the meaningful discussion. This  document is more relevant for the developers, because it contains information about how to implement BMC health statistics to be compliant with the OpenBMC sensor and telemetry architecture. So probably, the best place to put it, would be the development folder. Do you agree?

Piotr Matuszczak
Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
ul. Slowackiego 173, 80-298 Gdansk
KRS 101882
NIP 957-07-52-316

On 06/30/2020 around 01:54PM in some timezone, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>On 6/29/20 3:20 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
>> We can have a folder "how to" under guidelines and this document
>should fit there.
>
>That makes sense to me.  I want document stuff for both system
>integrators (who put together firmware images) and system
>administrators (who perform BMC initial configurations, oversee BMC
>operation, etc.).
>We also need a place for documentation for things like how to use
>BMCWeb's mTLS feature which cuts across system integration and
>administration.

Speaking of which, we added the document but didn't link to it in either the top level or the user guide section so you have to stumble across it.

https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/security/TLS-configuration.md

Maybe here? https://github.com/openbmc/docs/#openbmc-usage

> Details:
>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_ibm-2
>Dopenbmc_dev_issues_1531&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=bvv7AJEE
>CoRKBU02rcu4F5DWd-EwX8As2xrXeO9ZSo4&m=XCL8eI954f4equF5mjno80k9RtQpNBr
>kFoWrttLHUF8&s=fzPBC2_zSgHFF0Ku_87QXPBll5CYqC9LTDO9BDVCvLQ&e=
>
>- Joseph

milton

* Re: OpenBMC health statistics
@ 2020-07-01 17:25           ` Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2020-07-01 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matuszczak, Piotr, Milton Miller II, Joseph Reynolds
  Cc: Khetan, Sharad, krtaylor, openbmc

I don't see any issues with having this under developments, it would be good if you can create
a "HowTo" folder under developments and copy there.

On 7/1/20, 8:05 AM, "Matuszczak, Piotr" <piotr.matuszczak@intel.com> wrote:

    Thank you for the meaningful discussion. This  document is more relevant for the developers, because it contains information about how to implement BMC health statistics to be compliant with the OpenBMC sensor and telemetry architecture. So probably, the best place to put it, would be the development folder. Do you agree?

    Piotr Matuszczak
    Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
    ul. Slowackiego 173, 80-298 Gdansk
    KRS 101882
    NIP 957-07-52-316

    On 06/30/2020 around 01:54PM in some timezone, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
    >On 6/29/20 3:20 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
    >> We can have a folder "how to" under guidelines and this document
    >should fit there.
    >
    >That makes sense to me.  I want document stuff for both system
    >integrators (who put together firmware images) and system
    >administrators (who perform BMC initial configurations, oversee BMC
    >operation, etc.).
    >We also need a place for documentation for things like how to use
    >BMCWeb's mTLS feature which cuts across system integration and
    >administration.

    Speaking of which, we added the document but didn't link to it in either the top level or the user guide section so you have to stumble across it.

    https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/security/TLS-configuration.md

    Maybe here? https://github.com/openbmc/docs/#openbmc-usage

    > Details:
    >https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_ibm-2
    >Dopenbmc_dev_issues_1531&d=DwIDaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=bvv7AJEE
    >CoRKBU02rcu4F5DWd-EwX8As2xrXeO9ZSo4&m=XCL8eI954f4equF5mjno80k9RtQpNBr
    >kFoWrttLHUF8&s=fzPBC2_zSgHFF0Ku_87QXPBll5CYqC9LTDO9BDVCvLQ&e=
    >
    >- Joseph

    milton