* RH8 IDs SB16 wrong
@ 2003-01-08  3:45 Jack Heller
From: Jack Heller @ 2003-01-08  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

I just installed a new SB16 pnp card under RH 8. and it identifies the
card as:  Ensoniq | 5880 Audio PCI

Of course, this does not work and I cannot find a cure.  Help.

Thanks -- A Linux newbie --  Jack

* Re: RH8 IDs SB16 wrong
@ 2003-01-08  6:37 ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-01-08  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Heller, linux-hams

On Wednesday 08 January 2003 03:45, Jack Heller wrote:
> I just installed a new SB16 pnp card under RH 8. and it identifies the
> card as:  Ensoniq | 5880 Audio PCI
>
> Of course, this does not work and I cannot find a cure.  Help.

modprobe es1371

--
Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl

* fbb, progress and questions
@ 2003-01-09  4:08   ` mvw
From: mvw @ 2003-01-09  4:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

Hello all,

Well, a week further and some progress on fbb... but it is rather hard
going - for someone used to the Internet and smtp etc, this is all a tad
counterintuitive, and the documentation is rather obtuse, so bear with
me... I have so many questions I don't know where to start... I will not
bore you but just to give you a flavour of BASIC stuff I just cannot find
documented, and yes, before you ask, I have read the docs (or tried to) on
the f6fbb.org site..:

- How does this "forwarding" work??
- What are messages vs bulletins vs private messages etc?
- when a message is "on hold", how do I get it "off hold"?
- Why does killing a message not remove it? How DO I remove it?
- How does a node I forward to, allow/know/handle this?
- Why do I have one password set with "EU" command and one in passwd.sys,
and never the twain shall meet?
- ehy can I not use the "EU" command when telnetted in, but I can use it
when using the xfbbC app?
- the forward file apprently needs a degree of knowledge that is beyond
me: so, any examples?
- What are white pages (the docs just say this is an interesting
implementation of white pages)?
- How do I get bulletins in? And out?
- Using EU, can I not change someone's home bbs?
- Is there a 'phone book', so I do not have to type SP <call> @
ve3mch.#scon.on.can.noam or some such string each time?
- Many programming techniques that are used in fbb are extremely poor
(sorry! do not mean to be rude, but just wondering WHY).  Like using
binary configuration settings (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc); or using setup files
that depend on exact numbers of lines, etc. Is this historical accident?
- I guess fbb does its own ax25 thing - why not just use kernel ax25?

As you see, my lack of understanding is so great that I wonder if I will
ever usefully use this. So rather than bore you with too many questions
about the detail, a few meta questions, namely: is this all part of the
normal learning process, or am I overlooking some good basic docs
somewhere? (Or am I too dumb)? Should I bother? And, if yes, what is the
best way to find info (not the docs, apparently).

Many thanks for your advice, all.

73
Michael
VA3MVW

* Re: fbb, progress and questions
@ 2003-01-09  5:40     ` Shane Deering
From: Shane Deering @ 2003-01-09  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:08, mvw@mvw.net wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Well, a week further and some progress on fbb... but it is rather hard
> going - for someone used to the Internet and smtp etc, this is all a tad
> counterintuitive, and the documentation is rather obtuse, so bear with
> me... I have so many questions I don't know where to start... I will not
> bore you but just to give you a flavour of BASIC stuff I just cannot find
> documented, and yes, before you ask, I have read the docs (or tried to) on
> the f6fbb.org site..:
>
> - How does this "forwarding" work??

similar to smtp and nntp, but a different protocol.

> - What are messages vs bulletins vs private messages etc?

You've got bulletins and personal messages.
Like you have news and email on the Internet.

> - when a message is "on hold", how do I get it "off hold"?

something like eh, er or lh. It's been a long time. Anything that might want
an H in reject.sys just gets an R. I'm not going to muck around checking
dubious posts.

> - Why does killing a message not remove it? How DO I remove it?

It should get deleted during housekeeping. you could try using kk (extra k as
it says when you type ? k).

> - How does a node I forward to, allow/know/handle this?

You don't forward to nodes. allow/know/handle what ???

> - Why do I have one password set with "EU" command and one in passwd.sys,
> and never the twain shall meet?

Dunno. I use passwd.sys

> - ehy can I not use the "EU" command when telnetted in, but I can use it
> when using the xfbbC app?

I don't use telnet.

> - the forward file apprently needs a degree of knowledge that is beyond
> me: so, any examples?

Using kernel ax25.

A simple direct connect to my JNOS.
#
A jnos
P D
J 0
IF H 00-23
    C C VK3BVP-13
ENDIF
B TCPIP
F TCPIP
B VK3BVP
F VK3BVP
F VK3WRE
#H QSL.NET
G ALL
G AMSAT
G ARL
G ARRL
G AS
G ASIA
G GIPPS
G PAC
G TCPIP
G VK3
G VKNET
G WW
G NASA
G TEST
-----------

Forward to a remote BBS using netrom.
#                          forward for edk
A VK3EDK
P A
L B 235
L N 4
#IF H 20-23
#   T P
#ENDIF
IF MAN
#T P
    C C VK3BXG-2
    C C VK3EDK
ELSE
IF C1
   C C VK3bxg-2
   C C VK3EDK
END IF
ENDIF
#
F VK3DSE
B VK3DSE
F VK3EDK
B VK3EDK
! H VK3FRC.#MEL.VIC.AUS.OC
! H VK3ZZT.#MEL.VIC.AUS.OC
! H VK3YBI.#MEL.VIC.AUS.OC
H *.#MEL.VIC.AUS.OC
H *.#WEV.VIC.AUS.OC
H *.#NEV.VIC.AUS.OC
H *.ACT.AUS.OC
G AMSAT
G ARL
G ARRL
G ASIA
G MELB
G NASA
G PAC
G SEA
G SPACE
G VK3
G AUS
G VKNET
G WIA
#G WW
#G GIPPS
#R
---------------

A tip: Don't be like the idiot LLL's and put asterisks in your forward
scripts. It just means that the rest of us have to fix your mistakes.

> - What are white pages (the docs just say this is an interesting
> implementation of white pages)?

That's like your phone book. Saves a lot of typing as it does what you want
below when you send a message. FBB will (can) send updates to their BBS's to
keep their white pages up to date.

> - How do I get bulletins in? And out?

Forwarding.

> - Using EU, can I not change someone's home bbs?

Have a play with "ie callsign"

> - Is there a 'phone book', so I do not have to type SP <call> @
> ve3mch.#scon.on.can.noam or some such string each time?

See above.

> - Many programming techniques that are used in fbb are extremely poor
> (sorry! do not mean to be rude, but just wondering WHY).  Like using
> binary configuration settings (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc); or using setup files

I have other software that also does it that way.

> that depend on exact numbers of lines, etc. Is this historical accident?

Some files have moved away from that in the linux version. Maybe one day they
all will.

> - I guess fbb does its own ax25 thing - why not just use kernel ax25?

It does. I only use ports provided by the kernel.
You have choices. You are not forced to do it this way or that way.

> As you see, my lack of understanding is so great that I wonder if I will
> ever usefully use this.

Probably not, but have a go anyway.

> So rather than bore you with too many questions
> about the detail, a few meta questions, namely: is this all part of the
> normal learning process, or am I overlooking some good basic docs
> somewhere? (Or am I too dumb)? Should I bother? And, if yes, what is the
> best way to find info (not the docs, apparently).

You have asked a lot of basic questions over the last few weeks and seem to
get stuck easily. But maybe the rest of us have been there, done that for too
long and we take too much for granted.
The docs do contain a lot of info. you just have to read the right ones.
Have a look at the DOS and windows docs too.

--
Shane Deering   vk3bvp@qsl.net 	vk3bvp@vk3bvp.#sev.vic.aus.oc
http://www.qsl.net/vk3bvp/		Up 5 hours and 13 minutes

* Re: fbb, progress and questions
@ 2003-01-09 10:55     ` Tomi Manninen
From: Tomi Manninen @ 2003-01-09 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mvw; +Cc: linux-hams

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 mvw@mvw.net wrote:

> - when a message is "on hold", how do I get it "off hold"?

RE(view)

> - Why does killing a message not remove it? How DO I remove it?

As Shane said, the actual removing is done during the nightly
housekeeping. The kill command only marks the message for removing by
changing it's status. A killed message is visible only to the sysop, a
normal user can not list or read it.

There are actually several stages of killed messages: expired, killed,
archived. To be honest, I have never fully understood what these mean but
they pretty much converge to one if you have epurmess.ini configured
properly (no archiving, PK->PA delay 0 days etc.).

See: http://www.f6fbb.org/fbbdoc/fmtepurm.htm

> - Why do I have one password set with "EU" command and one in passwd.sys,
> and never the twain shall meet?

The EU command edits the user database and there a password that is used
when a user logs in with telnet or a modem (FBB has a modem interface as
well).

Passwd.sys is for authenticating a remote sysop. FBB has three levels of
users: normal, sysop and sysop after authenticating. A sysop user simply
has the S-flag set in the user database (EU). When a sysop want more
privileges he issues the "SYS" command and uses the passwd.sys password to
authenticate him.

See: http://www.f6fbb.org/fbbdoc/fmtpassw.htm

> - ehy can I not use the "EU" command when telnetted in, but I can use it
> when using the xfbbC app?

Only the sysop can use the EU command. Apparently you haven't set the
S-flag for yourself.

When logging in with the remote console app xfbbC any user becomes a sysop
with full privileges. That is why it needs the passwd.sys sysop password
to authenticate.

> - Many programming techniques that are used in fbb are extremely poor
> (sorry! do not mean to be rude, but just wondering WHY).  Like using
> binary configuration settings (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc); or using setup files
> that depend on exact numbers of lines, etc. Is this historical accident?

I think so. The FBB sofware is more than 10 years old and originally
written for DOS. The memory constraints in DOS are probably the reason for
all this. As Shane said, this is (slowly) getting better.

> - I guess fbb does its own ax25 thing - why not just use kernel ax25?

It does use kernel AX.25. It doesn't use ax25d though, it listens for
incoming connections by it self.

Also FBB can handle certain types of TNC's directly, bypassing the kernel
stuff. That was needed in DOS/Windows so why remove it in Linux? But you
don't have to use this functionality.

> As you see, my lack of understanding is so great that I wonder if I will
> ever usefully use this. So rather than bore you with too many questions
> about the detail, a few meta questions, namely: is this all part of the
> normal learning process, or am I overlooking some good basic docs
> somewhere? (Or am I too dumb)? Should I bother? And, if yes, what is the
> best way to find info (not the docs, apparently).

From the questions it seems like you have never even used a packet BBS.
I mean as a normal user, not as a sysop. If that is the case then I think
you need to start with reading some book or doc that describes the whole
packet BBS network from the user point of view.

--
Tomi Manninen           Internet:  oh2bns@sral.fi
OH2BNS                  AX.25:     oh2bns@oh2rbi.fin.eu

* Re: fbb, progress and questions
@ 2003-01-09 13:52       ` mvw
From: mvw @ 2003-01-09 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomi Manninen; +Cc: linux-hams

Tomi,

You too - thanks. As always the answers here are very clarifying!

> There are actually several stages of killed messages: expired, killed,
> archived. To be honest, I have never fully understood what these mean

Ah, I am not alone then.

> The EU command edits the user database and there a password that is used
> when a user logs in with telnet or a modem (FBB has a modem interface as
> well).
> Passwd.sys is for authenticating a remote sysop.

AHA! That clarifies a lot.

> >From the questions it seems like you have never even used a packet BBS.

Actually I had one running for a few years. but it was set up for me by
another ham, who has since stopped "doing" packet. I am now doing this
myself, finally. At least I can reproduce if I have to!

Michael

* PMS messaging program: where?
@ 2003-01-09 19:33       ` Tim Neu
From: Tim Neu @ 2003-01-09 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-hams

The linux ax25 faq refers to a packet radio mail program called "pms".  I
can't seem to find this program anywhere!   I installed the debian package by
the same name - but that doesn't seem to be anything related to packet radio.
 (It's some sort of python library)

I am all googled out.   I suppose if it were so easy to find, the URL would be
in the FAQ.   That or I am just having no luck whatsoever.

Does this program still exist, or is it superceeded by something else?

Thanks in advance.

-Tim
KC0LQL

Debian Project (http://www.debian.org)

* Re: PMS messaging program: where?
@ 2003-01-09 21:04         ` Jacques Chion
From: Jacques Chion @ 2003-01-09 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Neu; +Cc: linux-hams

Le Jan 9, Tim Neu écrivait

> The linux ax25 faq refers to a packet radio mail program called "pms".  I
> can't seem to find this program anywhere!   I installed the debian package by
> the same name - but that doesn't seem to be anything related to packet radio.
>  (It's some sort of python library)

> Does this program still exist, or is it superceeded by something else?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hello,
you can find that program in ax25-utils-2.1.42.a-3 package.
Best 73

------
Jacques.Chion@wanadoo.fr f6cwo
Quelques HOWTO en français http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jacques.chion/

-

* Re: PMS messaging program: where?
@ 2003-01-09 22:06           ` Tim Neu
From: Tim Neu @ 2003-01-09 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jacques Chion, Tim Neu; +Cc: linux-hams

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:04:19 +0100 (CET), Jacques Chion wrote

> Hello,
> you can find that program in ax25-utils-2.1.42.a-3 package.
> Best 73

Hmm.  When I try to intstall ax25-utils on debian, it claims that ax25utils is
replaced by ax25-tools...

I _do_ have ax25-tools installed, though, but it does not have pms.
Evidently ax25-tools does not completely replace all funtionality of
ax25-utils, or the debian package folks have their wires crossed.

I will give a search for ax25-utils.   Thanks for the help.

@ 2003-01-09 22:20             ` Tomi Manninen
From: Tomi Manninen @ 2003-01-09 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Neu; +Cc: linux-hams

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Tim Neu wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:04:19 +0100 (CET), Jacques Chion wrote
> >
> > you can find that program in ax25-utils-2.1.42.a-3 package.
>
> Hmm.  When I try to intstall ax25-utils on debian, it claims that ax25utils is
> replaced by ax25-tools...

A few years ago ax25-utils was split into three packages: libax25,
ax25-tools and ax25-apps. At the same time a few of the applications were
left out to be maintained separately. At least node and pms belong to that
category.

Unfortunately it seems that no one took pms and I believe there isn't any
recent versions out there... Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You could rip pms from the old ax25-utils but it would need a bit of
tweaking to compile on a modern system.

--

@ 2003-01-10  6:27             ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-01-10  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Neu, Jacques Chion, Tim Neu; +Cc: linux-hams

On Thursday 09 January 2003 22:06, Tim Neu wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jan 2003 22:04:19 +0100 (CET), Jacques Chion wrote
>
> > Hello,
> > you can find that program in ax25-utils-2.1.42.a-3 package.
> > Best 73
>
> Hmm.  When I try to intstall ax25-utils on debian, it claims that ax25utils
> is replaced by ax25-tools...
>
> I _do_ have ax25-tools installed, though, but it does not have pms.
> Evidently ax25-tools does not completely replace all funtionality of
> ax25-utils, or the debian package folks have their wires crossed.
>
> I will give a search for ax25-utils.   Thanks for the help.

As Tomi explained PMS is not part of anything thesedays, however i still use
it on my system, i can suplly you with a binary, however there is no garentee
it will work, it works on a slackware 8.0 system using;

ax25-apps-0.0.4.
ax25-tools-0.0.5
libax25-0.0.7
node-0.3.0