* powernow-k7 (again) on 2.4.20
@ 2003-07-21  6:30 emmel
       [not found] ` <03072308501000.00222@gate>
From: emmel @ 2003-07-21  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cpufreq

* Re: powernow-k7 (again) on 2.4.20
@ 2003-07-22 11:58 ` Dominik Brodowski
       [not found] ` <03072308501000.00222@gate>
From: Dominik Brodowski @ 2003-07-22 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emmel; +Cc: cpufreq

Hi "emmel",

This is not a cpufreq bug, but a bug in the BIOS. It reports wrong values in
the "PST" which should be dumped in "dmesg" when you load the powernow
module [or once it is started, in case you built it into the kernel]. You
might want to try up- or downgrading your BIOS or to override the BIOS
table; some patches for this are in the list archives, Dave Jones intends to
add a generic capability to override the PST to the powernow module in
future.

	Dominik

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 08:30:21AM +0200, emmel wrote:

> I've posted that before, but I've serious trouble with cpufreq. It returns
> once loaded it makes the CPU speed drop from 1.4GHz to 800MHz (666 when
> throttled). If the kde info thingy is somewhat relyable at all that's for
> real - the bogomips drop as well. Returning to 1.4GHz seems impossible
> without restarting (I've tried unloading the module). Somehow cpufreq gets
> the stupid idea that the CPU is scaleable between 500 and 600MHz which has to
> be the reason for those odd results. We are talking about a Mobile Athlon XP
> 1600+ here, BTW (though it's reported by linux as a 1500+). If you ask me
> that's a serious problem. The odd thing, however, is that it didn't happen
> with the same kernel version before. Maybe it depends on some intel code to
> work correct (I used to have the CPU in the kernel set to PIII, now it's
> correctly at Athlon) or maybe it has something to do with the swsp patch that
> I *don't* have applied to my actual kernel. HELP!
> The same odd behavior(sp?) appears with clean 2.5.72 and 2.6.0-test1 kernels.

* Re: powernow-k7 (again) on 2.4.20
       [not found]   ` <20030723163415.GA1870@brodo.de>
@ 2003-07-24  5:10     ` emmel
From: emmel @ 2003-07-24  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)