* SIOCSIFDSTADDR for IPv6 removed ?
@ 2019-11-06 11:34 Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2019-11-06 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

From what I can tell, it is not possible to set DSTADDR in IPv6 and I wonder why?

There is an expectation for IPV6_SIT which can but am using pppoe and there I cannot.

 Jocke

* Re: SIOCSIFDSTADDR for IPv6 removed ?
@ 2019-11-06 15:55 ` David Ahern
From: David Ahern @ 2019-11-06 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund, netdev

On 11/6/19 4:34 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> From what I can tell, it is not possible to set DSTADDR in IPv6 and I wonder why?
>
> There is an expectation for IPV6_SIT which can but am using pppoe and there I cannot.

Code is still present and does not appear to have been changed recently.

* Re: SIOCSIFDSTADDR for IPv6 removed ?
@ 2019-11-06 19:16   ` Joakim Tjernlund
From: Joakim Tjernlund @ 2019-11-06 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dsahern, netdev

On Wed, 2019-11-06 at 08:55 -0700, David Ahern wrote:

> On 11/6/19 4:34 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > From what I can tell, it is not possible to set DSTADDR in IPv6 and I wonder why?
> >
> > There is an expectation for IPV6_SIT which can but am using pppoe and there I cannot.
> >

> Code is still present and does not appear to have been changed recently.

Right, IPV6 seems to have been like this(no support for DSTADDR) forever, but why?
Is it because none has impl. DSTADDR for IPv6 or is there a reason?
Would a patch adding IPv6 DSTADDR be accepted?

@ 2019-11-06 19:27     ` David Ahern
From: David Ahern @ 2019-11-06 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joakim Tjernlund, netdev

On 11/6/19 12:16 PM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> On Wed, 2019-11-06 at 08:55 -0700, David Ahern wrote:
>>
>> On 11/6/19 4:34 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
>>> From what I can tell, it is not possible to set DSTADDR in IPv6 and I wonder why?
>>>
>>> There is an expectation for IPV6_SIT which can but am using pppoe and there I cannot.
>>>

>> Code is still present and does not appear to have been changed recently.
>
> Right, IPV6 seems to have been like this(no support for DSTADDR) forever, but why?
> Is it because none has impl. DSTADDR for IPv6 or is there a reason?
> Would a patch adding IPv6 DSTADDR be accepted?

If you have a legitimate use case that is not working, send a patch. Add
a test case (or more) to tools/testing/selftests/net/fcnal-test.sh,
use_cases().