* RE: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-07 16:17 mpdykeman
From: mpdykeman @ 2004-01-07 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EugeneJ; +Cc: netfilter

MRTG uses snmp to poll devices...

SNMP runs on two ports -- udp/161 (polling from the monitoring console)
and udp/162 (SNMP traps sent to monitoring console)

For your purposes, you are probably interested in udp/161

-mpd

* Re: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-02-14 21:30 ` Ian McBeth
From: Ian McBeth @ 2004-02-14 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Yue; +Cc: netfilter

the target host should be running snmpd
and it is port 161 UDP

Ian

Gilles Yue wrote:

> MRTG cannot work properly due to iptables running.
>

> Anybody knows which port number to open to enable MRTG to work properly.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Rgds
>
> gy

* RE: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-09  5:54 Gilles Yue
From: Gilles Yue @ 2004-01-09  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexis; +Cc: netfilter

That's it.
Thanks very much.

gy

From: Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer - @ 2004-01-08 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

DOH! I do this all time, sorry.  He's right no $ign before the SNMP_POLLER_IP

Also I never set the nat tables or mangle tables to drop unless im using them
and I have accept rules for all my traffic in them.

--

@ 2004-01-08 12:07 ` Antony Stone
From: Antony Stone @ 2004-01-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Thursday 08 January 2004 11:56 am, Gilles Yue wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have opened port 161 in my firewall script.
>
> 	$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT
>
> 	However, POSRTOUTING SET TO DROP By default, is preventing MRTG
> from 	running properly. (I have tried setting POSTROUTING TO ACCEPT
> and MRTG 	works fine)
>
> 	$IPTABLES -t nat -P POSTROUTING DROP

That is a very bad idea.

The nat tables are for address translation, not for filtering.

The filter tables are for filtering - that's where you should be DROPping
packets.

Set the policy on POSTROUTING back to ACCEPT, and by all means tell us if this
causes you any problems.

Regards,

Antony.

--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

* RE: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-08 11:56 Gilles Yue

--

@ 2004-01-08  9:27 ` Antony Stone
From: Antony Stone @ 2004-01-08  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Thursday 08 January 2004 6:47 am, Gilles Yue wrote:

> Dear sir,
>
> Have tried your commands below but when I run my iptables script,
>
> I get "command not found" and it points to the line
>
> $SNMP_POLLER_IP="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"

There should be no $ at the beginning of this line.

Shell scripts use $ when referencing a variable, not when defining it or
assigning to it.   This is different from Perl.

Antony.

--
My New Year's resolution is not to make any resolutions I can't keep.

I'm wondering whether I've failed already.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

* RE: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-08  6:47 Gilles Yue

--

@ 2004-01-07 16:06   ` Søren Kent Jensen
From: Søren Kent Jensen @ 2004-01-07 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer -, Gilles Yue, netfilter

UDP 161 is user to poll equipment for status / statistics
UDP 162 is used for SNMP traps.
(SNMP traps are typically used by equipment to send a warning message to an
SNMP server.)

Regards
Søren Kent Jensen

> SNMP UDP Ports 161 and 162 MRTG typically only uses 161.
>

> Thanks
>
> On Wednesday 07 January 2004 00:54, Gilles Yue wrote:
> > MRTG cannot work properly due to iptables running.
> >

> > Anybody knows which port number to open to enable MRTG to work properly.
> >

> > Thanks.
> >

> > Rgds
> >
> > gy
>
> --
> Daniel Fairchild - Chief Security Officer | danielf@supportteam.net
> The distance between nothing and infinity is always the same no matter how
> close you get to nothing.

* Re: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-07 14:17 ` Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer -
From: Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer - @ 2004-01-07 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Yue, netfilter

--

@ 2004-01-07 12:57 ` Antony Stone
From: Antony Stone @ 2004-01-07 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 12:46 pm, Gilles Yue wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is this the way it should be in iptables?
>
> #Open SNMP Ports
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 161 -j ACCEPT
>
> Have tried it, not working

Try putting in the LOGging rule which two of us have already recommended, and
see what traffic is getting blocked.

This will then tell you what you need to ACCEPT.

Regards,

Antony.

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

* RE: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-07 12:46 Gilles Yue

--

@ 2004-01-07 12:44 ` Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer -
From: Daniel F. Chief Security Engineer - @ 2004-01-07 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Yue, netfilter

--

@ 2004-01-07  9:55 ` Jesper Lund
From: Jesper Lund @ 2004-01-07  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

> 	Opening port 1491 does not work.  Any other idea?
>
> 	Thanks anyway.

Try snmp ports... ;)

Finding the snmp ports is left as an exercise for the expirienced user
:)

Regards,

Jesper

* Re: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-07  9:44 ` Antony Stone
From: Antony Stone @ 2004-01-07  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Wednesday 07 January 2004 9:34 am, Gilles Yue wrote:

> Hi,
> 	Opening port 1491 does not work.  Any other idea?

As far as I know SNMP uses UDP ports 161 and 162.   This is confirmed by the
entries in my /etc/services file too.

I don't know if that's what MRTG uses, but might be worth trying.

The other approach is to turn on LOGging of dropped packets on your firewall -
try using MRTG and see what protocols/ports you see being dropped.   That
will tell you what you need to allow through.

Antony.

--
This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of
caster sugar.   Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40
minutes.   Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some
decorative kiwi fruit and cream.   Then notify me immediately by return email
and eat the original message.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

* RE: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-07  9:34 Gilles Yue
From: Gilles Yue @ 2004-01-07  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eugene Joubert; +Cc: netfilter

Hi,
	Opening port 1491 does not work.  Any other idea?

	Thanks anyway.

	Gy

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 01:54, Gilles Yue wrote:
> MRTG cannot work properly due to iptables running.
>

> Anybody knows which port number to open to enable MRTG to work
> properly.

<snip>

No, not off hand but you can use a tool like Ethereal
(http://www.ethereal.com) or just tcpdump or even just log the ropped
packets in iptables to determine what MRTG is trying to do.  Good luck -
John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer
Nexus Management
+1 207-985-7880
john.sullivan@nexusmgmt.com
---
If you are interested in helping to develop a GPL enterprise class
VPN/Firewall/Security device management console, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net

* RE: MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-07  8:28 Eugene Joubert
From: Eugene Joubert @ 2004-01-07  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: netfilter

Hi,

It uses SNMP protocol. I think this is built on top of the UDP protocol. I

@ 2004-01-07  8:03 ` John A. Sullivan III
From: John A. Sullivan III @ 2004-01-07  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gilles Yue; +Cc: netfilter

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 01:54, Gilles Yue wrote:
> MRTG cannot work properly due to iptables running.
>

> Anybody knows which port number to open to enable MRTG to work
> properly.

<snip>

No, not off hand but you can use a tool like Ethereal
(http://www.ethereal.com) or just tcpdump or even just log the ropped
packets in iptables to determine what MRTG is trying to do.  Good luck -
John

--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer
Nexus Management
+1 207-985-7880
john.sullivan@nexusmgmt.com
---
If you are interested in helping to develop a GPL enterprise class
VPN/Firewall/Security device management console, please visit
http://iscs.sourceforge.net

* MRTG and IPTABLES
@ 2004-01-07  6:54 Gilles Yue
                   ` (2 more replies)