* [LARTC] Re: tc filter matches ip fileds inside pppoe frames
@ 2007-02-05 10:11 Ming-Ching Tiew
From: Ming-Ching Tiew @ 2007-02-05 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Resent using text insted of html.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ming-Ching Tiew
  To: lartc@mailman.ds9a.nl
  Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 9:28 AM
  Subject: tc filter matches ip fileds inside pppoe frames

  I have a requirement which I guess it is not too unusually, however I haven't
  quite figured out how to do it and couldn't find any examples which handle that.

  I have made myself a Linux-based bridge, eth0 bridged with
  eth1 to form br0.

  In this bridge, I run 'tc' script to handle QoS.

  So far nothing unusual.

  However, what's different is that this bridge is sitted in between a pppoe client
  and pppoe server, ie pppoe frames are bridge between the Linux bridge, and
  I am interested to perform QoS on the pppoe frames, based on the ip tos setting
  of the ppp packets ( encapsulated inside the pppoe frames ).

  For example, normal tc script :-

  tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 1:0 prio 10 u32 \
       match ip tos 0x10 0xff \
       flowid 1:4

  This will work on a ppp0 device because the ppp0 has ip packets flowing through
  it. Now in my bridge, there is no such device, I only have access to eth0 or eth1,
  how could I perform the same thing on devices such as eth0 or eth1, but matching
  the ip TOS setting inside the pppoe frame ?

  Best regards.

[-- Attachment #2: InterScan_SafeStamp.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 250 bytes --]

****** Message from InterScan E-Mail VirusWall NT ******

** No virus found in attached file noname.htm
** No virus found in attached file noname.htm

This mail has been scanned by InterScan.

* [LARTC] Re: tc filter matches ip fileds inside pppoe frames
@ 2007-02-09  3:03 ` Ming-Ching Tiew
From: Ming-Ching Tiew @ 2007-02-09  3:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
> I have a requirement which I guess it is not too unusually, however I
haven't
> quite figured out how to do it and couldn't find any examples which handle
that.

> I have made myself a Linux-based bridge, eth0 bridged with
> eth1 to form br0.
>
> In this bridge, I run 'tc' script to handle QoS.
>
> So far nothing unusual.
>
> However, what's different is that this bridge is sitted in between a pppoe
client
> and pppoe server, ie pppoe frames are bridge between the Linux bridge, and
> I am interested to perform QoS on the pppoe frames, based on the ip tos
setting
> of the ppp packets ( encapsulated inside the pppoe frames ).
>
> For example, normal tc script :-
>
> tc filter add dev ppp0 parent 1:0 prio 10 u32 \
>     match ip tos 0x10 0xff \
>     flowid 1:4
>
> This will work on a ppp0 device because the ppp0 has ip packets flowing
through
> it. Now in my bridge, there is no such device, I only have access to eth0
or eth1,
> how could I perform the same thing on devices such as eth0 or eth1, but
matching
> the ip TOS setting inside the pppoe frame ?

Perhaps this will be one step closer to matching ip TOS inside the PPPOE
frame :-

 # tc filter add dev vlan0 parent 1:0 protocol 0x8864 prio 10 u32 \
     match u32 0x00100000 0x00ff0000 at  .... \
     flowid 1:4

Protocol 0x8864 refers to PPP_SES.

But the question where is the location of the TOS filed in the ip header
encapsulated inside the PPP frame ? What if the IP header is compressed
inside the ppp frame ?

Cheers