* Kernel Compilation
@ 2002-10-24 15:01 Alexandre Carlos
From: Alexandre Carlos @ 2002-10-24 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mpls-linux-general; +Cc: RSVP, netfilter-devel

Hi all,

I´m trying do colmpile the kernel 2.4.29 to suport rsvp-te with the followin
software and patches

KERNEL_2.4.19_MPLS160.patch,
        iptables-1.2.4-dscp.tgz,
	DSMPLS+IP.patch
        iproute2-current.tar.gz and rsvpd.0.70-rcx.tgz.

ipt_MPLS.c: In function `target':
ipt_MPLS.c:23: warning: passing arg 1 of `mpls_set_nexthop' from
incompatible pointer type
ipt_MPLS.c:23: warning: passing arg 2 of `mpls_set_nexthop' makes pointer
from integer without a cast
ipt_MPLS.c:23: too few arguments to function `mpls_set_nexthop'
ipt_MPLS.c:20: warning: unused variable `i'
make[3]: ** [ipt_MPLS.o] Erro 1
make[3]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/net/ipv4/netfilter'
make[2]: ** [first_rule] Erro 2
make[2]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/net/ipv4/netfilter'
make[1]: ** [_subdir_ipv4/netfilter] Erro 2
make[1]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/net'
make: ** [_dir_net] Erro 2

Can some on help me please?

Alex

* Re: [mpls-linux-general] Kernel Compilation
@ 2002-10-24 16:08 ` James R. Leu
From: James R. Leu @ 2002-10-24 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Carlos; +Cc: mpls-linux-general, RSVP, netfilter-devel

User mpls-linux kernel patch 1.170.  1.160 had a bug when trying to
compile with netfilter MPLS target (BTW the instructions on the RSVP-TE page
said NOT to turn on the MPLS target .... reading the instructions helps ....)

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 12:01:42PM -0300, Alexandre Carlos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I´m trying do colmpile the kernel 2.4.29 to suport rsvp-te with the followin
> software and patches
>
> KERNEL_2.4.19_MPLS160.patch,
>         iptables-1.2.4-dscp.tgz,
> 	DSMPLS+IP.patch
>         iproute2-current.tar.gz and rsvpd.0.70-rcx.tgz.
>
> ipt_MPLS.c: In function `target':
> ipt_MPLS.c:23: warning: passing arg 1 of `mpls_set_nexthop' from
> incompatible pointer type
> ipt_MPLS.c:23: warning: passing arg 2 of `mpls_set_nexthop' makes pointer
> from integer without a cast
> ipt_MPLS.c:23: too few arguments to function `mpls_set_nexthop'
> ipt_MPLS.c:20: warning: unused variable `i'
> make[3]: ** [ipt_MPLS.o] Erro 1
> make[3]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/net/ipv4/netfilter'
> make[2]: ** [first_rule] Erro 2
> make[2]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/net/ipv4/netfilter'
> make[1]: ** [_subdir_ipv4/netfilter] Erro 2
> make[1]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/net'
> make: ** [_dir_net] Erro 2
>
> Can some on help me please?
>
> Alex

James R. Leu

* Kernel compilation
@ 2011-05-05 14:15   ` Pico Geyer
From: Pico Geyer @ 2011-05-05 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

[Forgot to cc list]

2011/5/2 Ezequiel Garc?a <elezegarcia@yahoo.com.ar>

> Greetings,
> After reading Linux Kernel in a Nutshell (by the way, great book), I now have my own kernel configured for my hardware needs.
> However, I have some really strange behavior. On tty1, the same tty that launches X11, I have to press twice each keyboard key.?Anyone has any idea what's going on? I am using a customized Debian Squeeze + OpenBox.
> Thanks in advance, and thanks Greg for writing the book.
> Ezequiel.

Hi Ezequiel

I'm new on this list as well but I don't think anyone will be able to
help you with the limited info that you have provided.
When you say you have a kernel configured for your hardware, did you:

A) Download the kernel from http://www.kernel.org/ ? In that case you
need to tell us which version you're using.
B) Get the kernel from git a git tree http://git.kernel.org/? We still
need to know exactly which version
C) Recompile your debian kernel? (2.6.32?)

If this bug is present with only a change in kernel config, it would
be interesting to see the difference between the working and broken
config.

I hope that helps,
Pico

* Kernel compilation
@ 2011-05-02 19:40 ` Ezequiel García
From: Ezequiel García @ 2011-05-02 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Greetings,After reading Linux Kernel in a Nutshell (by the way, great book), I now have my own kernel configured for my hardware needs.?
However, I have some really strange behavior. On tty1, the same tty that launches X11, I have to press twice each keyboard key.?Anyone has any idea what's going on? I am using a customized Debian Squeeze + OpenBox.
Thanks in advance, and thanks Greg for writing the book.
Ezequiel.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Kernel compilation
@ 2011-01-05  7:37 ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2011-01-05  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, 5 Jan 2011, scott wrote:

> I'm new to the list and would like to say hello to everyone. Now on
> to the meat.
>
> I have tried to compile a kernel with a grsec patch 5 times now
> using a couple of different methods and I keep getting a "No init
> found" and "Couldn't support optional features" errors every time at
> bootup. I'm trying to use a vanilla 2.6.32.27 kernel on 10.04 Ubuntu
> and it compiles fine, just will not boot.
>
> I've tried "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` fakeroot
> make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image
> kernel_headers", "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3 make-kpkg --initrd
> --append-to-version=-586 kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image".
>
> I have all the reqs for building kernels such as build-essentials,
> fakeroot, kernel-package, kernel-wedge, nurces-dev and qt for
> xconfig.
>
> These are the steps I've taken. DL the kernel image from
> kernels.org, get the patch from grsec.net, untar the kernel, cd into
> the directory created, do a 'cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config',
> 'make oldconfig', apply the patch, then either 'make menuconfig' or
> 'make xconfig'. Then I do a 'make-kpkg clean' and run one of the
> commands in the first paragraph above.
>
> I get the debs built and can install them just fine, but I keep
> getting the same errors. I've cut out as many "Experimental" options
> I thought might cause a problem and still get a kernel panic at
> boot.
>
> Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?

  you are clearly using ubuntu, so here's a simpler recipe i've used
successfully.

  1) configure and build your kernel from the source
  2) "sudo make modules_install"
  3) "sudo make install"
  4) "sudo update-initramfs -c -k <kernel version goes here>"
  5) "sudo update-grub"

the drawback to the above is that your kernel is not built as an
official *package* but for testing purposes, it should do.  you'll get
your kernel installed under /boot, your modules installed, a new
initramfs image, and your grub file updated.  can you try it this way
and see if it makes a difference?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Kernel compilation
@ 2011-01-05  7:10   ` scott
From: scott @ 2011-01-05  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 01/05/2011 01:46 AM, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
> Hi Scott :)
>
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:34, scott<redhowlingwolves@nc.rr.com>  wrote:
>> I'm new to the list and would like to say hello to everyone. Now on to
>> the meat.
>>
>> I have tried to compile a kernel with a grsec patch 5 times now using a
>> couple of different methods and I keep getting a "No init found" and
>> "Couldn't support optional features" errors every time at bootup.
>> I'm trying to use a vanilla 2.6.32.27 kernel on 10.04 Ubuntu and it
>> compiles fine,
>> just will not boot.
> My first question is: did the patching go successfully? were you
> applying the correct grsec version against a matching vanilla kernel
> version?
>
> And last, maybe you can attach your kernel .config content...and one
> of fine people here will try to decipher what's wrong with it :)

The patch was matched and was successful. It compiled with no errors.
Just the 'no init' at boot.
I'll post my .config later today as it's late here and have to work. I'm
beginning to think it may have something to do with the limits on file
size as I got a few warnings about out-of-range sizes. I have it set to
1024.

Thanks for your reply,
Scott

Thanks for your reply.

* Kernel compilation
@ 2011-01-05  6:46 ` Mulyadi Santosa
From: Mulyadi Santosa @ 2011-01-05  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

blog: the-hydra.blogspot.com
training: mulyaditraining.blogspot.com

* Kernel compilation
@ 2011-01-05  5:34 scott
From: scott @ 2011-01-05  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

[...]

* kernel compilation
@ 2008-01-04 11:37 rohithvjp2006
From: rohithvjp2006 @ 2008-01-04 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

hi this is rohith
                    i am doing project such as porting an linux 2.4 fedora
to some target say x86 when i modified the kernel by make menuconfig command
and after doin make dep there is no error but when i given make bzImage  i
am getting this error please reply me what it means and i am very new to
this linux field can any body help
                    and if the target as arm 9 what i should do where i
should change

regards rohith

   from base.c:635:
/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/include/asm/processor.h:257:1: warning:
this is the location of the previous definition
base.c: In function `is_devfsd_or_child':
base.c:1417: structure has no member named `p_opptr'
base.c:1417: structure has no member named `p_opptr'
make[3]: *** [base.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/fs/devfs'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/fs/devfs'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_devfs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/fs'
make: *** [_dir_fs] Error 2
[root@rohit linux-2.4]#

* Re: kernel compilation
@ 2005-04-26 17:11         ` andrew mathes
From: andrew mathes @ 2005-04-26 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

ok, at this point i've tried -

2.6.11 and 2.6.10

... patched with arch-xen.patch and drivers-xen.patch,
and also tried with just copying the linux-2.6.11-xen-sparse folder to the
kernel directory

then make menuconfig ARCH=xen (seems fine, brings up xen options)
then make ARCH=xen ... always has errors.

the two places it seems to error are "rmap.h" and "skbuff.c" depending how
I patch the kernels/which i use ...

am I still going about this wrong? is there somewhere to get the "latest"
arch-xen.patch/drivers-xen.patch?

thanks again for any help

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, andrew mathes wrote:

> to use a more up to date repository ...
>
> where would i find more updated patches for the kernel? I only saw the two
> from the download site ... are they in the xen source tarball somewhere?
>
> then i assume i just patch them to the latest 2.6.11 kernel
>
> thanks a lot again-
>
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Keir Fraser wrote:
>

>>  On 25 Apr 2005, at 23:13, andrew mathes wrote:
>>
>> >   this is the top of my .config ... will it help if I post the whole
>> >   thing?
>>
>>  The .config looks good, so the error you are getting is weird. If you look
>>  in include/linux/skbuff.h you should find that the definition of
>>  __dev_alloc_skb is wrapped in
>>  #ifndef CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB
>>
>>  If you have no such line in your skbuff.h file then your patching has gone
>>  wrong. I notice you are using 2.6.10 still -- have you tried downloading a
>>  more up to date repository or snapshot tarball?
>>
>>  -- Keir

* Re: kernel compilation
@ 2005-04-26 16:03       ` andrew mathes
From: andrew mathes @ 2005-04-26 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

to use a more up to date repository ...

where would i find more updated patches for the kernel? I only saw the two
from the download site ... are they in the xen source tarball somewhere?

then i assume i just patch them to the latest 2.6.11 kernel

thanks a lot again-

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Keir Fraser wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2005, at 23:13, andrew mathes wrote:
>
>>  this is the top of my .config ... will it help if I post the whole thing?
>
> The .config looks good, so the error you are getting is weird. If you look in
> include/linux/skbuff.h you should find that the definition of __dev_alloc_skb
> is wrapped in
> #ifndef CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB
>
> If you have no such line in your skbuff.h file then your patching has gone
> wrong. I notice you are using 2.6.10 still -- have you tried downloading a
> more up to date repository or snapshot tarball?
>
> -- Keir

* Re: kernel compilation
@ 2005-04-25 22:55     ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2005-04-25 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew mathes; +Cc: xen-devel

@ 2005-04-25 22:13   ` andrew mathes
From: andrew mathes @ 2005-04-25 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keir Fraser; +Cc: xen-devel

this is the top of my .config ... will it help if I post the whole thing?

#
# Automatically generated make config: don't edit
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.10
# Mon Apr 25 14:44:29 2005
#
CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_ARCH_XEN=y
CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ=y

#
# XEN
#
# CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND is not set
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND_PIPELINED_TRANSMITTER is not set
CONFIG_XEN_WRITABLE_PAGETABLES=y
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB=y
CONFIG_X86=y
# CONFIG_X86_64 is not set

#
# Code maturity level options
#
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y
CONFIG_CLEAN_COMPILE=y
CONFIG_BROKEN_ON_SMP=y

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Keir Fraser wrote:

> On 25 Apr 2005, at 19:56, andrew mathes wrote:
>
>>  I posted to xen-users I was having problems, but looking through list
>>  archives looks like xen-devel is a more appropriate place.
>>
>>  After patching my kernel, and running make menuconfig ARCH=xen, everything
>>  seems fine.  When I run make ARCH=xen, it compiles fine till here:
>>   CC      arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.o
>>  arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.c:28: error: redefinition of `__dev_alloc_skb'
>>  include/linux/skbuff.h:940: error: `__dev_alloc_skb' previously defined
>>  here
>>  arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.c: In function `__dev_alloc_skb':
>>  arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.c:30: warning: implicit declaration of function
>>  `alloc_skb_from_cache'
>>  arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.c:30: warning: assignment makes pointer from
>>  integer without a cast
>>
>>  is there anything I should be doing different/workaround?
>
> Take a look in your .config file. There should be a line near the start, at
> the end of the 'XEN' subsection, that says
> 'CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB=y'.
>
> If you're missing that, and/or the entire xen subsection, then you've somehow
> configured for native i386 by mistake.
>
> -- Keir

* Re: kernel compilation
@ 2005-04-25 22:03 ` Keir Fraser
From: Keir Fraser @ 2005-04-25 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrew mathes; +Cc: xen-devel

@ 2005-04-25 18:56 andrew mathes
From: andrew mathes @ 2005-04-25 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

I posted to xen-users I was having problems, but looking through list
archives looks like xen-devel is a more appropriate place.

After patching my kernel, and running make menuconfig ARCH=xen, everything
seems fine.  When I run make ARCH=xen, it compiles fine till here:
   CC      arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.o
arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.c:28: error: redefinition of `__dev_alloc_skb'
include/linux/skbuff.h:940: error: `__dev_alloc_skb' previously defined
here
arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.c: In function `__dev_alloc_skb':
arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.c:30: warning: implicit declaration of function
`alloc_skb_from_cache'
arch/xen/kernel/skbuff.c:30: warning: assignment makes pointer from
integer without a cast

is there anything I should be doing different/workaround?

Thanks a lot for any help
Andrew Mathes

* Re: kernel compilation
@ 2004-03-20  9:16 ` Andreas Unterkircher
From: Andreas Unterkircher @ 2004-03-20  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mtr, linux-kernel

you havent build all the modules i think :)

this order as example if you wanna do it step by step

make xconfig
make clean
make dep
make
make modules
make bzImage
make modules_install

andi

From: mtr @ 2004-03-20  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

@ 2001-10-11  9:53 Syed Mohammad Talha
From: Syed Mohammad Talha @ 2001-10-11  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Kernel List, Pekka Pietikäinen

 Dear all,

 I have just subscribed this mailing list and sent mail to
 linux-vger.kernel.org but this seems that I am missing omething, because I
 cant see my mail on the list and also have no idea whether this is the
right
 place to discuss or not, if not please excuse me, if yes than please help.
 have an IBM e-server and have installed redhat 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2, now
 when I am trying to upgrade the kernel I am unable to do so. This has the
 SCSI HDD and controller aic7xxx. I am upgrading the new kernel 2.4.10 now
 when I start compiling the kernel every things goes ok but when I makes the
 initrd image it gives different errors, like

 modules for aic7xxx not found or
 all loopback devices busy

 I am selecting all the options in the kernel compilation as per my
knowledge
 and adopting the ways defined to compile, I have compiled the same kernel
on
 an IDE drive and is working fine and did not gave any error, but on scsci I
 am very badly stuck, I can make the initrd image from the old modules
 directory and define in the lilo.conf with the new kernel it works. Once I
 was successful in making the initrd image through the new kernel module
 directory but this was of no use, because when I rebooted the machine there
 was a kernel panic

 So guruz please if u can help me in resolving this problem, I am not sure
 that whether I am selecting the wrong choices in the kernel compilation or
 there is something else. Also when I compared the old module directory
which
 was of the default installed kernel and which I compile are quite
different.

 Looking for help

 Talha