* x86 Community Call: Wed Oct 10, 14:00 - 15:00 UTC - Call for agenda items
@ 2018-10-04 10:09 Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-10-04 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, committers, Tamas K Lengyel, intel-xen, daniel.kiper,
	Roger Pau Monne, Christopher Clark, Rich Persaud, Brian Woods,
	Juergen Gross, Paul Durrant, Ji, John, Natarajan, Janakarajan
  Cc: edgar.iglesias, davorin.mista, robin.randhawa, Artem Mygaiev,
	mirela.simonovic, Stewart Hildebrand, Julien Grall,
	Stefano Stabellini, anastassios.nanos, vfachin,
	Volodymyr Babchuk, Matt Spencer, Jarvis Roach

Dear community members,

please send me agenda items for next week’s community call by next Monday. If you are not on the TO list, and want to be, please let me know.
Last month's minutes were at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VUPdWwd1raDOPhjReVVkmb6YoQB3X5oU12E4ExjO1n0/edit#heading=h.mz1wjb9vekjn

One admin item we do need to discuss is
1) Non-DST meeting times: Note that from November Daylight Savings does not apply in the northern hemisphere.
Option 1: If we keep the meeting at 14:00 - 15:00 UTC, meetings in the US and Europe will be one hour earlier, while the China will be at the same time
Option 2: If we move the meeting to 15:00 - 14:00 UTC during winter time, meetings in the US and Europe will stay the same, while the China will be at 23:00-24:00

2) Open / Recently closed ACTION items
* [Open] Lars to bring up x86 bottleneck at next AB call – due to the Aug holidays we didn’t have any of the relevant vendors on the call. On the Sept call, we had a similar issue for different reasons. I have done a little bit of Analysis, which I am willing to share.
* [Open] Christopher will follow up on IRC/xen-devel@ re memory scrubbing
* [Open] Lars would be happy to start a discussion on IRC, then xen-devel and start tidying the JIRA instance up - discussed on IRC, but did not have time to play with Jira
* [Open] Juergen agreed to add Argo to the work tracking list for the 4.12 release, communicated in the “Xen 4.12 Development Update” mail series. Latest update, see https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2018-09/threads.html#01069

* [Done] Lars to give Christopher write access to JIRA
* [Done] Christopher to create a JIRA ticket for the Argo work, see https://xenproject.atlassian.net/browse/XEN-118

Meeting time
14:00 - 15:00 UTC
10:00 - 11:00 EDT (New York)
15:00 - 16:00 BST (London)
16:00 - 17:00 CEST (Berlin)
22:00 - 23:00 CST (Beijing)
Further International meeting times: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2018&month=10&day=10&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=24&p3=179&p4=136&p5=37&p6=33

Best Regards
Lars

* Re: x86 Community Call: Wed Oct 10, 14:00 - 15:00 UTC - Call for agenda items
@ 2018-10-04 10:18 ` Paul Durrant
From: Paul Durrant @ 2018-10-04 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth, xen-devel, committers, Tamas K Lengyel, intel-xen,
	daniel.kiper, Roger Pau Monne, Christopher Clark, Rich Persaud,
	Brian Woods, Juergen Gross, Ji, John, Natarajan, Janakarajan
  Cc: edgar.iglesias, davorin.mista, robin.randhawa, Artem Mygaiev,
	mirela.simonovic, Stewart Hildebrand, Julien Grall,
	Stefano Stabellini, anastassios.nanos, vfachin,
	Volodymyr Babchuk, Matt Spencer, Jarvis Roach

I think we should discuss maintainer responsiveness, specifically w.r.t. AMD IOMMU.

  Paul

* Re: x86 Community Call: Wed Oct 10, 14:00 - 15:00 UTC - Call for agenda items
@ 2018-10-09 13:41 ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-10-09 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel, committers, Tamas K Lengyel, intel-xen, daniel.kiper,
  Cc: edgar.iglesias, davorin.mista, robin.randhawa, Artem Mygaiev,
	mirela.simonovic, Stewart Hildebrand, Julien Grall,
	Stefano Stabellini, anastassios.nanos, vfachin,
	Volodymyr Babchuk, Matt Spencer, Jarvis Roach

Hi all,

## Agenda
  The agenda can be found at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZfZ1SJRauLrISiTLXzM0DPxQL8beNkAQS5MwLLNtRKc/edit?usp=sharing
  The document is R/W already

  But in a nutshell
  * Admin Items: When to have winter meetings (DST effect)
  * Open / Closed Actions from Previous calls
  * New Series / Series that need attention - note that I don't have any right now. Feel free to add items to this section
  * Maintainer Responsiveness (Paul Durrant)
  * AOB (none at this stage)

## Meeting time
  14:00 - 15:00 UTC
  10:00 - 11:00 EDT (New York)
  15:00 - 16:00 BST (London)
  16:00 - 17:00 CEST (Berlin)
  22:00 - 23:00 CST (Beijing)

Further International meeting times: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2018&month=10&day=10&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=224&p2=24&p3=179&p4=136&p5=37&p6=33

## Dial in details
    Web: https://www.gotomeet.me/larskurth

    You can also dial in using your phone.
    Access Code: 906-886-965

    China (Toll Free): 4008 811084
    Germany: +49 692 5736 7317
    Poland (Toll Free): 00 800 1124759
    United Kingdom: +44 330 221 0088
    United States: +1 (571) 317-3129

    More phone numbers
    Australia: +61 2 9087 3604
    Austria: +43 7 2081 5427
    Argentina (Toll Free): 0 800 444 3375
    Bahrain (Toll Free): 800 81 111
    Belarus (Toll Free): 8 820 0011 0400
    Belgium: +32 28 93 7018
    Brazil (Toll Free): 0 800 047 4906
    Bulgaria (Toll Free): 00800 120 4417
    Canada: +1 (647) 497-9391
    Chile (Toll Free): 800 395 150
    Colombia (Toll Free): 01 800 518 4483
    Czech Republic (Toll Free): 800 500448
    Denmark: +45 32 72 03 82
    Finland: +358 923 17 0568
    France: +33 170 950 594
    Greece (Toll Free): 00 800 4414 3838
    Hong Kong (Toll Free): 30713169
    Hungary (Toll Free): (06) 80 986 255
    Iceland (Toll Free): 800 7204
    India (Toll Free): 18002669272
    Indonesia (Toll Free): 007 803 020 5375
    Ireland: +353 15 360 728
    Israel (Toll Free): 1 809 454 830
    Italy: +39 0 247 92 13 01
    Japan (Toll Free): 0 120 663 800
    Korea, Republic of (Toll Free): 00798 14 207 4914
    Luxembourg (Toll Free): 800 85158
    Malaysia (Toll Free): 1 800 81 6854
    Mexico (Toll Free): 01 800 522 1133
    Netherlands: +31 207 941 377
    New Zealand: +64 9 280 6302
    Norway: +47 21 93 37 51
    Panama (Toll Free): 00 800 226 7928
    Peru (Toll Free): 0 800 77023
    Philippines (Toll Free): 1 800 1110 1661
    Portugal (Toll Free): 800 819 575
    Romania (Toll Free): 0 800 410 029
    Russian Federation (Toll Free): 8 800 100 6203
    Saudi Arabia (Toll Free): 800 844 3633
    Singapore (Toll Free): 18007231323
    South Africa (Toll Free): 0 800 555 447
    Spain: +34 932 75 2004
    Sweden: +46 853 527 827
    Switzerland: +41 225 4599 78
    Taiwan (Toll Free): 0 800 666 854
    Thailand (Toll Free): 001 800 011 023
    Turkey (Toll Free): 00 800 4488 23683
    Ukraine (Toll Free): 0 800 50 1733
    United Arab Emirates (Toll Free): 800 044 40439
    Uruguay (Toll Free): 0004 019 1018
    Viet Nam (Toll Free): 122 80 481

    First GoToMeeting? Let's do a quick system check:
    https://link.gotomeeting.com/system-check

@ 2018-10-09 14:53   ` Tamas K Lengyel
From: Tamas K Lengyel @ 2018-10-09 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: davorin.mista, Julien Grall, anastassios.nanos, Matt.Spencer,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, John Ji, robin.randhawa, Daniel Kiper,
	mirela.simonovic, Xen-devel, Artem Mygaiev, christopher.w.clark,
	Paul Durrant, committers, vfachin, intel-xen, Jarvis.Roach,
	jgross, Brian Woods, Rich Persaud, jnataraj, Stefano Stabellini,
	Stewart.Hildebrand, Volodymyr Babchuk, Roger Pau Monné

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 7:41 AM Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> ## Agenda
>   The agenda can be found at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZfZ1SJRauLrISiTLXzM0DPxQL8beNkAQS5MwLLNtRKc/edit?usp=sharing
>   The document is R/W already

I've added a last minute item I would like to discuss if possible
regarding the state of nested virtualization.

Thanks,
Tamas

* Re: x86 Community Call: Wed Oct 10, 14:00 - 15:00 UTC - Call for agenda items
@ 2018-10-09 15:13     ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2018-10-09 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas K Lengyel, Lars Kurth
  Cc: davorin.mista, Julien Grall, anastassios.nanos, Matt.Spencer,

On 09/10/18 15:53, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 7:41 AM Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> ## Agenda
>>   The agenda can be found at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZfZ1SJRauLrISiTLXzM0DPxQL8beNkAQS5MwLLNtRKc/edit?usp=sharing
>>   The document is R/W already
> I've added a last minute item I would like to discuss if possible
> regarding the state of nested virtualization.

Certainly can.  The tl;dr is that Nested Virt is my highest priority
work, short of security issues.

Curiously, it hasn't made much progress in the past year...

~Andrew

* Re: x86 Community Call: Wed Oct 10, 14:00 - 15:00 UTC - Call for agenda items
@ 2018-10-09 16:06       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-10-09 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper, Tamas K Lengyel
  Cc: davorin.mista, Julien Grall, anastassios.nanos, Matt.Spencer,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, John Ji, robin.randhawa, Daniel Kiper,
	mirela.simonovic, Xen-devel, Artem Mygaiev, christopher.w.clark,
	Paul Durrant, committers, vfachin, intel-xen, Jarvis.Roach,
	jgross, Brian

Tamas: I saw it. Thank you

@ 2018-10-09 18:20       ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-10-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cooper, Tamas K Lengyel
  Cc: davorin.mista, Julien Grall, anastassios.nanos, Matt.Spencer,
	Edgar E. Iglesias, John Ji, robin.randhawa, Daniel Kiper,
	mirela.simonovic, Xen-devel, Artem Mygaiev, christopher.w.clark,
	Paul Durrant, committers, vfachin, intel-xen, Jarvis.Roach,
	jgross, Brian

Hi all,
I added a NIST Security Paper to the agenda which is currently under review and is full of inaccuracies and could potentially become very problematic to the project and vendors using Xen if officially published by NIST without being corrected (it needs responses by the end of week). I will be struggling to do this alone and would like to enlist help, in particular from people with a security background. That would also be significantly more powerful than me providing the feedback.
Regards
Kars

@ 2018-10-09 20:32         ` Rich Persaud
From: Rich Persaud @ 2018-10-09 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Kurth
  Cc: davorin.mista, Volodymyr Babchuk, Julien Grall,
	anastassios.nanos, Matt.Spencer, Edgar E. Iglesias, John Ji,
	robin.randhawa, Daniel Kiper, mirela.simonovic, Xen-devel,
	Artem Mygaiev, Tamas K Lengyel, christopher.w.clark,
	Paul Durrant, committers, vfachin, intel-xen, Jarvis.Roach

Lars,

This NIST document ("A Methodology for Determining Forensic Data Requirements for Detecting Hypervisor Attacks" [1]) appears to be focused on the application of LibVMI in some contexts.  It is a NIST Interagency or Internal Report (NISTIR) document with a narrower scope than other NIST publications, e.g. Special Publications (SP).  NISTIR documents are:

https://www.nist.gov/nist-research-library/nist-series-publications
"... Interim or final reports on work performed by NIST for outside sponsors (both government and non-government).  May also report results of NIST projects of transitory or limited interest, including those that will be published subsequently in more comprehensive form."

If the Xen community wishes to provide feedback on this NISTIR draft, I suggest compiling a single document, including:

 - any inaccuracies + supporting references
 - vulnerability scope boundaries, including Xen hypervisor, Linux kernel affecting KVM, KVM module for Linux kernel, QEMU and hypervisor toolstack(s)
 - additional sample attack(s) and evidence coverage for forensic analysis
 - additional references on hypervisor security / vulnerability analysis
 - missing perspectives (e.g. impact of features selected via KCONFIG, disaggregation)
 - other feedback

If a single list can be compiled, each item can be numbered and Xen community viewpoints can be aggregated for possible consensus in unified feedback, or individuals could submit their feedback separately.

Rich

[1] https://csrc.nist.gov/CSRC/media/Publications/nistir/8221/draft/documents/nistir-8221-draft.pdf

@ 2018-10-10  8:08           ` Lars Kurth
From: Lars Kurth @ 2018-10-10  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rich Persaud
  Cc: davorin.mista, Volodymyr Babchuk, Julien Grall,
	anastassios.nanos, Matt.Spencer, Edgar E. Iglesias, John Ji,
	robin.randhawa, Daniel Kiper, mirela.simonovic, Xen-devel,
	Artem Mygaiev, Tamas K Lengyel, christopher.w.clark,
	Paul Durrant, committers, vfachin, intel-xen, Jarvis.Roach

> If the Xen community wishes to provide feedback on this NISTIR draft, I suggest compiling a single document, including:
I hope so: we may as well use the relevant section in https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZfZ1SJRauLrISiTLXzM0DPxQL8beNkAQS5MwLLNtRKc/edi to collate the feedback
But I can create a separate doc
Let’s discuss in the meeting
Regards