* help with MPC8272ADS board
@ 2009-05-03  7:16 Landau, Bracha
From: Landau, Bracha @ 2009-05-03  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-dev

I'm trying to get the MPC8272ADS evaluation board up and running with the latest versions of u-boot and Denx linux (2.6.24).

I use the device tree file (mpc8272ads.dts) provided. Based on another post, I updated the MPC8260ADS.h file, changing OF_CPU from "cpu@0<mailto:cpu@0>" to "PowerPC,8272@0", because I was getting an error.

I tried booting both using a cuImage (cuImage.mpc8272ads) and a uImage with a device tree blob. Neither boot was successful, with no helpful information printed to the serial port.

Is there any change that has to be made in order to get the board to boot?

Bracha Landau

________________________________
This e-mail is confidential, the property of NDS Ltd and intended for the addressee only. Any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message or any attachments by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the postmaster@nds.com and destroy the original message. Messages sent to and from NDS may be monitored. NDS cannot guarantee any message delivery method is secure or error-free. Information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. We do not accept responsibility for any errors or omissions in this message and/or attachment that arise as a result of transmission. You should carry out your own virus checks before opening any attachment. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of NDS.

NDS Limited Registered Office: One London Road, Staines,Middlesex TW18 4EX, United Kingdom. A company registered in England and Wales Registered no. 3080780 VAT no. GB 603 8808 40-00

* Re: help with MPC8272ADS board
@ 2009-05-03 19:26 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2009-05-03 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Landau, Bracha; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Dear Bracha,

In message <065A7D06F7D4E546A18E80E08D066E1811892DD86B@ILMA1.IL.NDS.COM> you wrote:

> I'm trying to get the MPC8272ADS evaluation board up and running with
> the latest versions of u-boot and Denx linux (2.6.24).

2.6.24 is actually very old and not even close to latest. "Latest" is
(as I'm typing this) v2.6.30-rc4.

> I use the device tree file (mpc8272ads.dts) provided. Based on
> another post, I updated the MPC8260ADS.h file, changing OF_CPU from
> "cpu@0<mailto:cpu@0>" to "PowerPC,8272@0", because I was getting an
> error.

No such changes should be necessary.

I  just  tried  this  (using  both  the  kernel.org  tree,  and   our
linux-2.6-denx  repository),  with the same results (i. e. zero build
problems):

	$ export CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx-
	$ export ARCH=powerpc

	$ make CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- ARCH=powerpc mpc8272_ads_defconfig
	$ make -j6 CROSS_COMPILE=ppc_6xx- ARCH=powerpc uImage

	$ make mpc8272ads.dtb

Then use the images in "arch/powerpc/boot/uImage" and
"arch/powerpc/boot/mpc8272ads.dtb", resp.

[Sorry, I cannot test this myself as we don't have a mpc8272_ads board
in our lab.]

> I tried booting both using a cuImage (cuImage.mpc8272ads) and a
> uImage with a device tree blob. Neither boot was successful, with no
> helpful information printed to the serial port.
>
> Is there any change that has to be made in order to get the board to
> boot?

Maybe you did not pass the right "console=" boot  argument?  Keep  in
ind  that the serial ports are named "ttyCPM*" now, not "ttyS*" as it
used to be with very old kernel versions.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@denx.de
I thought my people would grow tired of killing. But you were  right,
they  see it is easier than trading. And it has its pleasures. I feel
it myself. Like the hunt, but with richer rewards.
	-- Apella, "A Private Little War", stardate 4211.8

* Re: help with MPC8272ADS board
@ 2009-05-04 16:30 ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2009-05-04 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Landau, Bracha; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

On Sun, May 03, 2009 at 10:16:29AM +0300, Landau, Bracha wrote:
> I'm trying to get the MPC8272ADS evaluation board up and running with
> the latest versions of u-boot and Denx linux (2.6.24).

2.6.24 is nowhere near the latest version of Linux.  If you specifically
want to use a Denx kernel, you're better off at eldk@denx.de -- though
I'd be surprised if that's the latest they offer, either.

> I use the device tree file (mpc8272ads.dts) provided. Based on another
> post, I updated the MPC8260ADS.h file, changing OF_CPU from
> "cpu@0<mailto:cpu@0>" to "PowerPC,8272@0", because I was getting an
> error.

I'd rather change the device tree, instead.

> I tried booting both using a cuImage (cuImage.mpc8272ads) and a uImage
> with a device tree blob. Neither boot was successful, with no helpful
> information printed to the serial port.
>
> Is there any change that has to be made in order to get the board to boot?

Upgrade to the latest kernel, and if it still doesn't work try enabling
the early debug console (note that the default address is currently for
cuImage).

-Scott

* RE: help with MPC8272ADS board
@ 2009-05-05  6:16   ` Landau, Bracha
From: Landau, Bracha @ 2009-05-05  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Wood; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

I've upgraded to the latest kernel (2.6.29), and after updating the configu=
ration the cuImage did boot.
What's the difference between the address for the early debug console for c=
uImage and uImage + blob?

?

[...]

To protect the environment please do not print this e-mail unless necessary=
.

@ 2009-05-05 15:52     ` Scott Wood
From: Scott Wood @ 2009-05-05 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Landau, Bracha; +Cc: linuxppc-dev

Landau, Bracha wrote:
> I've upgraded to the latest kernel (2.6.29), and after updating the configuration the cuImage did boot.
> What's the difference between the address for the early debug console for cuImage and uImage + blob?

The address is wherever the previous driver (u-boot or bootwrapper) put
the transmit descriptor.  The default address matches what Linux's
bootwrapper uses, but u-boot is a bit different (IIRC it's DPRAM+0x88).

-Scott