* Hot Spare Virtual Machines
@ 2013-05-11 12:29 Valentin Zagura
From: Valentin Zagura @ 2013-05-11 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

I was thinking the other day if one can modify the live migration
feature of KVM to allow keeping a remote hot copy of a virtual machine
snapshot every say 10 seconds. And in the same time to use LVM or
something similar so the modifications to the storage would be
committed at every succesfull snapshot stored remotely. This way,
whenever the hardware that runs the VM has a hardware problem, the
spare could continue from the snapshot. I imagine that there can also
be a software on the router between the VM and the Internet that could
log all the traffic from the outside done since the last snapshot and
could eventually replay it to the new hot spare VM that just started
whenever is  needed.

Would this be feasible? :)

Valentin Zagura
http://zagura.com

* RE: Hot Spare Virtual Machines
@ 2013-05-12  4:33 ` Sterling Windmill
From: Sterling Windmill @ 2013-05-12  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valentin Zagura, kvm

This sounds similar to what Kemari was looking to achieve:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Features/FaultTolerance

But unfortunately, I believe Kemari development has halted.

From: Andres Toomsalu @ 2013-05-12 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sterling Windmill; +Cc: Valentin Zagura, kvm

Kemari project seems to be dead - but there is one implementation that you might check out: based on DMTCP (dmtcp.sourceforge.net) and its QEMU/KVM plugin - please see this article http://arxiv.org/abs/1212.1787
Not sure if this DMTCP QEMU/KVM plugin source code is already included into latest dmtcp release or not - if not you could contact plugin original authors for a copy (or I should have a copy lying around somewhere as well).

Another approach could be implementing it with criu.org - but that needs some development in order to support QEMU/KVM.

We are actually having this feature in our roadmap - but we still need to raise a bit funding for implementing this feature.

Cheers,
Andres Toomsalu, andres@opennodecloud.com
http://www.opennodecloud.com