* [U-Boot] Buildman Kconfig issue with consecutive builds
@ 2019-11-06 16:16 Schrempf Frieder
From: Schrempf Frieder @ 2019-11-06 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

I'm having some trouble using buildman to test the impact of some
Kconfig cleanup patches ([1]).

The patches introduce a new CONFIG_SPL_* option and I try to find out
which defconfigs need to be fixed, by comparing build sizes.

Now when I added a patch to fix a defconfig I noticed that buildman
wouldn't report the expected size changes and upon looking more closely
I found that the added Kconfig options are still missing in u-boot-spl.cfg.

The strange thing is, that when I try to build only the last commit then
the Kconfig options are there, which is why I suspect a bug in buildman
not handling Kconfig changes correctly with consecutive builds.

Can anyone have a look what is wrong or how I can debug this issue?

The issue can be reproduced with the branch at [1], running:

buildman -b spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3 --step 0 xilinx_zynqmp_virt

for a build where the added Kconfig options are missing in the resulting
u-boot-spl.cfg.

And:

buildman -b spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3^..spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3
xilinx_zynqmp_virt

for a build of only the last commit with expected output.

Thanks,
Frieder

[1]: https://github.com/fschrempf/u-boot/commits/spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3

* [U-Boot] Buildman Kconfig issue with consecutive builds
@ 2019-11-07  7:30 ` Schrempf Frieder
From: Schrempf Frieder @ 2019-11-07  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 06.11.19 17:16, Frieder Schrempf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble using buildman to test the impact of some
> Kconfig cleanup patches ([1]).
>
> The patches introduce a new CONFIG_SPL_* option and I try to find out
> which defconfigs need to be fixed, by comparing build sizes.
>
> Now when I added a patch to fix a defconfig I noticed that buildman
> wouldn't report the expected size changes and upon looking more closely
> I found that the added Kconfig options are still missing in u-boot-spl.cfg.
>
> The strange thing is, that when I try to build only the last commit then
> the Kconfig options are there, which is why I suspect a bug in buildman
> not handling Kconfig changes correctly with consecutive builds.
>
> Can anyone have a look what is wrong or how I can debug this issue?
>
> The issue can be reproduced with the branch at [1], running:
>
> buildman -b spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3 --step 0 xilinx_zynqmp_virt

Forgot to mention that my master is set to
32d870a82203a16a6e05958e2a02287af4dd825a (which is not upstream) in this
case.

@ 2019-11-07 12:41 ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2019-11-07 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Schrempf,

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 12:17 AM Schrempf Frieder
<frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble using buildman to test the impact of some
> Kconfig cleanup patches ([1]).
>
> The patches introduce a new CONFIG_SPL_* option and I try to find out
> which defconfigs need to be fixed, by comparing build sizes.
>
> Now when I added a patch to fix a defconfig I noticed that buildman
> wouldn't report the expected size changes and upon looking more closely
> I found that the added Kconfig options are still missing in u-boot-spl.cfg.
>
> The strange thing is, that when I try to build only the last commit then
> the Kconfig options are there, which is why I suspect a bug in buildman
> not handling Kconfig changes correctly with consecutive builds.
>
> Can anyone have a look what is wrong or how I can debug this issue?
>
> The issue can be reproduced with the branch at [1], running:
>
> buildman -b spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3 --step 0 xilinx_zynqmp_virt

Could you please add "-C" to the buildman command line and have a try?

> for a build where the added Kconfig options are missing in the resulting
> u-boot-spl.cfg.
>
> And:
>
> buildman -b spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3^..spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3
> xilinx_zynqmp_virt
>
> for a build of only the last commit with expected output.
>
> Thanks,
> Frieder
>
> [1]: https://github.com/fschrempf/u-boot/commits/spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] Buildman Kconfig issue with consecutive builds
@ 2019-11-07 13:28   ` Schrempf Frieder
From: Schrempf Frieder @ 2019-11-07 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Bin,

On 07.11.19 13:41, Bin Meng wrote:
> Hi Schrempf,
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 12:17 AM Schrempf Frieder
> <frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having some trouble using buildman to test the impact of some
>> Kconfig cleanup patches ([1]).
>>
>> The patches introduce a new CONFIG_SPL_* option and I try to find out
>> which defconfigs need to be fixed, by comparing build sizes.
>>
>> Now when I added a patch to fix a defconfig I noticed that buildman
>> wouldn't report the expected size changes and upon looking more closely
>> I found that the added Kconfig options are still missing in u-boot-spl.cfg.
>>
>> The strange thing is, that when I try to build only the last commit then
>> the Kconfig options are there, which is why I suspect a bug in buildman
>> not handling Kconfig changes correctly with consecutive builds.
>>
>> Can anyone have a look what is wrong or how I can debug this issue?
>>
>> The issue can be reproduced with the branch at [1], running:
>>
>> buildman -b spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3 --step 0 xilinx_zynqmp_virt
>>

> Could you please add "-C" to the buildman command line and have a try?

Indeed forcing the reconfig between the build steps with '-C' fixes the
issue.

Is it a known problem, that buildman doesn't handle Kconfig changes
correctly without '-C' in some cases?

Thanks,
Frieder

@ 2019-11-07 14:02     ` Bin Meng
From: Bin Meng @ 2019-11-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Frieder,

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:28 PM Schrempf Frieder
<frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:

> Hi Bin,
>
> On 07.11.19 13:41, Bin Meng wrote:
> > Hi Schrempf,
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 12:17 AM Schrempf Frieder
> > <frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm having some trouble using buildman to test the impact of some
> >> Kconfig cleanup patches ([1]).
> >>
> >> The patches introduce a new CONFIG_SPL_* option and I try to find out
> >> which defconfigs need to be fixed, by comparing build sizes.
> >>
> >> Now when I added a patch to fix a defconfig I noticed that buildman
> >> wouldn't report the expected size changes and upon looking more closely
> >> I found that the added Kconfig options are still missing in u-boot-spl.cfg.
> >>
> >> The strange thing is, that when I try to build only the last commit then
> >> the Kconfig options are there, which is why I suspect a bug in buildman
> >> not handling Kconfig changes correctly with consecutive builds.
> >>
> >> Can anyone have a look what is wrong or how I can debug this issue?
> >>
> >> The issue can be reproduced with the branch at [1], running:
> >>
> >> buildman -b spi_flash_kconfig_cleanup_3 --step 0 xilinx_zynqmp_virt
> >>

> > Could you please add "-C" to the buildman command line and have a try?
>
> Indeed forcing the reconfig between the build steps with '-C' fixes the
> issue.
>
> Is it a known problem, that buildman doesn't handle Kconfig changes
> correctly without '-C' in some cases?

AFAIK, this is an intended design of calling buildman w/o '-C' to save
some build time.

Regards,
Bin

* [U-Boot] Buildman Kconfig issue with consecutive builds
@ 2019-11-07 15:15       ` Schrempf Frieder
From: Schrempf Frieder @ 2019-11-07 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On 07.11.19 15:02, Bin Meng wrote:
> Hi Frieder,
>
> On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:28 PM Schrempf Frieder
> <frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bin,
>>
>> On 07.11.19 13:41, Bin Meng wrote:
>>> Hi Schrempf,

>>> Could you please add "-C" to the buildman command line and have a try?
>>
>> Indeed forcing the reconfig between the build steps with '-C' fixes the
>> issue.
>>
>> Is it a known problem, that buildman doesn't handle Kconfig changes
>> correctly without '-C' in some cases?
>
> AFAIK, this is an intended design of calling buildman w/o '-C' to save
> some build time.

Ok, if that's the case I will try to come up with a patch that adds a
note to the README. This has cost me a few hours because I was thinking
buildman does the right thing and Kconfig options are messed up somewhere.

* [U-Boot] Buildman Kconfig issue with consecutive builds
@ 2019-11-07 16:23         ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2019-11-07 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Schrempf,

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 08:15, Schrempf Frieder
<frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:

> On 07.11.19 15:02, Bin Meng wrote:
> > Hi Frieder,
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 9:28 PM Schrempf Frieder
> > <frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Bin,

> >> Indeed forcing the reconfig between the build steps with '-C' fixes the
> >> issue.
> >>
> >> Is it a known problem, that buildman doesn't handle Kconfig changes
> >> correctly without '-C' in some cases?
> >
> > AFAIK, this is an intended design of calling buildman w/o '-C' to save
> > some build time.
>
> Ok, if that's the case I will try to come up with a patch that adds a
> note to the README. This has cost me a few hours because I was thinking
> buildman does the right thing and Kconfig options are messed up somewhere.

An incremental build means that it does not run 'make xxx_defconfig'
on every commit. Doing it this way saves *a lot* of time for large
builds and the main purpose of buildman is to validate that U-Boot
builds.

However it might be possible to have it both ways...the code fragment
below compares the Kconfig files and configs/ directory against the
data of the 'u-boot' output file, and could trigger a full rebuild if
newer.

If you have time (sounds like you do!), you could incorporate that
into buildman.

files = ['%s/u-boot' % outdir]
  if os.path.exists(files[0]):
    if options.incremental:
      cmd = ['find', 'configs/', '-cnewer', files[0]]
      result = cros_build_lib.RunCommand(cmd, capture_output=True, **kwargs)
      if result.output:
        logging.warning('config/ dir has changed - dropping -i')
        options.incremental = False

    if options.incremental:
      cmd = ['find', '.', '-name', 'Kconfig', '-and', '-cnewer', files[0]]
      result = cros_build_lib.RunCommand(cmd, capture_output=True, **kwargs)
      if result.output:
        logging.warning('Kconfig file(s) changed - dropping -i')
        options.incremental = False

The current logic is in RunJob() and do_config is the thing that
causes a reconfig.

Regards,
Simon

* [U-Boot] Buildman Kconfig issue with consecutive builds
@ 2019-11-07 19:14           ` Schrempf Frieder
From: Schrempf Frieder @ 2019-11-07 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Simon,

On 07.11.19 17:23, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Schrempf,
>
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 08:15, Schrempf Frieder
> <frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:
>>
>> On 07.11.19 15:02, Bin Meng wrote:
>>> Hi Frieder,

>>> AFAIK, this is an intended design of calling buildman w/o '-C' to save
>>> some build time.
>>
>> Ok, if that's the case I will try to come up with a patch that adds a
>> note to the README. This has cost me a few hours because I was thinking
>> buildman does the right thing and Kconfig options are messed up somewhere.
>
> An incremental build means that it does not run 'make xxx_defconfig'
> on every commit. Doing it this way saves *a lot* of time for large
> builds and the main purpose of buildman is to validate that U-Boot
> builds.
>
> However it might be possible to have it both ways...the code fragment
> below compares the Kconfig files and configs/ directory against the
> data of the 'u-boot' output file, and could trigger a full rebuild if
> newer.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

> If you have time (sounds like you do!), you could incorporate that
> into buildman.

It's kind of funny that you got the impression, that I have time ;)
Actually I do not have much time to work on U-Boot in general among all
the other things.

And now I went deep down into the rabbit hole from "I want to get some
boards upstreamed" to "I need to port a QSPI controller driver first" to
"the driver port affects existing CONFIG options that are a total mess
and need to be fixed" to "I need to run buildman on my cleanup patches"
to "buildman could need some tweaking".

So unless there will be a lot of rainy weekends, I probably won't start
working on optimizing buildman ;)

Regards,
Frieder

@ 2019-11-07 19:19             ` Simon Glass
From: Simon Glass @ 2019-11-07 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Schrempf,

On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 12:14, Schrempf Frieder <frieder.schrempf@kontron.de>
wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On 07.11.19 17:23, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi Schrempf,
> >
> > On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 08:15, Schrempf Frieder
> > <frieder.schrempf@kontron.de> wrote:

> out

> closely
> u-boot-spl.cfg.

> then
> buildman

> try?

> the

> >> Ok, if that's the case I will try to come up with a patch that adds a
> >> note to the README. This has cost me a few hours because I was thinking
> >> buildman does the right thing and Kconfig options are messed up
> somewhere.
> >
> > An incremental build means that it does not run 'make xxx_defconfig'
> > on every commit. Doing it this way saves *a lot* of time for large
> > builds and the main purpose of buildman is to validate that U-Boot
> > builds.
> >
> > However it might be possible to have it both ways...the code fragment
> > below compares the Kconfig files and configs/ directory against the
> > data of the 'u-boot' output file, and could trigger a full rebuild if
> > newer.
>
> Ok, thanks for the explanation.
>

> > If you have time (sounds like you do!), you could incorporate that
> > into buildman.
>
> It's kind of funny that you got the impression, that I have time ;)
> Actually I do not have much time to work on U-Boot in general among all
> the other things.
>
> And now I went deep down into the rabbit hole from "I want to get some
> boards upstreamed" to "I need to port a QSPI controller driver first" to
> "the driver port affects existing CONFIG options that are a total mess
> and need to be fixed" to "I need to run buildman on my cleanup patches"
> to "buildman could need some tweaking".
>
> So unless there will be a lot of rainy weekends, I probably won't start
> working on optimizing buildman ;)

May you be plagued with downpours :-)

- Simon