* [meta-ti / pandaboard] SGX / powervr drivers
@ 2012-08-10  8:34 Tim Verstraete
From: Tim Verstraete @ 2012-08-10  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-ti

i am using a pandaboard with meta-ti and i see that in meta-ti we have the following:

·        Root/recipes-bsp/powervrdrivers

o   Omap3-sgx-modules

o   Omap3 bb file

·        Root/recipes-graphics/

o   Libgles

§  Libgles-omap3.inc

§  Libgles-omap3

§  Libgles-omap3 recipe

o   Omapfbplay

o   Xorgxserver

Now I have 2 questions about this ...

·        why would we need 2 locations for this since when I look in the recipe they use the same source binary but handle it different, is this one recipe for driver and one recipe for opengles library? Why not do it in one shot?

·        If I want to generate such setup for omap4 for pandaboard I would need to make 2 recipes again but this time for the omap4 processor

Thanks in advances for replying and confirming my thoughts ;-)

Kind regards,

Tim

* Re: [meta-ti / pandaboard] SGX / powervr drivers
@ 2012-08-10  8:55 ` Koen Kooi
From: Koen Kooi @ 2012-08-10  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Verstraete; +Cc: meta-ti

Op 10 aug. 2012, om 10:34 heeft Tim Verstraete <Tim.Verstraete@medecbenelux.be> het volgende geschreven:

> Hi,
>
> i am using a pandaboard with meta-ti and i see that in meta-ti we have the following:
> ·        Root/recipes-bsp/powervrdrivers
> o   Omap3-sgx-modules
> o   Omap3 bb file
> ·        Root/recipes-graphics/
> o   Libgles
> §  Libgles-omap3.inc
> §  Libgles-omap3
> §  Libgles-omap3 recipe
> o   Omapfbplay
> o   Xorgxserver
>
> Now I have 2 questions about this …
> ·        why would we need 2 locations for this since when I look in the recipe they use the same source binary but handle it different, is this one recipe for driver and one recipe for opengles library? Why not do it in one shot?

Kernel and userspace builds are quite different and in general the kernel gets updated more often than the sgx userspace. Instead of "rebuilding" the userspace binaries everytime a kernel changes we only rebuild the kernel modules.
Even if the kernel never changed, building both kernel modules and userspace in the same recipe should never be done.

regards,

Koen

* Re: [SPAM] - Re: [meta-ti / pandaboard] SGX / powervr drivers - Email found in subject
@ 2012-08-10  9:00   ` Tim Verstraete
From: Tim Verstraete @ 2012-08-10  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koen Kooi; +Cc: meta-ti

Indeed does make sense ... so this would mean that I now have to make 2 recipes for the pandaboard, one for each.

Kind regards,

Tim