* crypto: possible NULL reference
@ 2021-03-30  4:11 Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2021-03-30  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I was trying to document "fips=<integer", I noticed this.

In crypto/ecc.c, ecc_get_curve() can return NULL:

const struct ecc_curve *ecc_get_curve(unsigned int curve_id)
{
	switch (curve_id) {
	/* In FIPS mode only allow P256 and higher */
	case ECC_CURVE_NIST_P192:
		return fips_enabled ? NULL : &nist_p192;
	case ECC_CURVE_NIST_P256:
		return &nist_p256;
	case ECC_CURVE_NIST_P384:
		return &nist_p384;
	default:
		return NULL;
	}
}

but when its return value is passed to
static int __ecc_is_key_valid(const struct ecc_curve *curve,
			      const u64 *private_key, unsigned int ndigits)

the use of <curve> here is not checked for NULL or not NULL
before it is used. Nor is the use of <curve> in most other functions
in ecc.c.

Is there something else protecting the improper use of <curve>
in these cases?  or is a patch warranted?

thanks.
--
~Randy

* Re: crypto: possible NULL reference
@ 2021-04-09  7:51 ` Herbert Xu
From: Herbert Xu @ 2021-04-09  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 09:11:17PM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:

> Is there something else protecting the improper use of <curve>
> in these cases?  or is a patch warranted?

The curve ID is always hard-coded and AFAIK we don't have any
use-cases where an unsupported curve ID is used.

Cheers,
--
Email: Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au>