* Set DSCP field for ipv6 packets using ip6tables command
@ 2012-01-25 19:35 Mrunal Upadhyay
From: Mrunal Upadhyay @ 2012-01-25 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hello,

I am currently trying to set DSCP fields for IPV4 and IPV6 packets with the version 1.3.7 of iptables using Linux kernel 2.6.35.7.

I am able to set the DSCP fields to desired values for the IPV4 packets by the following command:

iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT -p udp --dport 10000:30000 -j DSCP --set-dscp-class EF

However when I am trying to fire the same command for IPV6 packets, is does not recognize the target DSCP.

So my questions are
Is there any way to set the TRAFFIC CLASS/ TOS/ DSCP field using ip6tables command for ipv6 packets?
Are there any extensions/modules already developed or being developed for ipv6 packets that I can use to alter the DSCP field?

Thank You,
Mrunal

* Re: Set DSCP field for ipv6 packets using ip6tables command
@ 2012-01-25 21:03 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2012-01-25 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mrunal Upadhyay; +Cc: netfilter

On Wednesday 2012-01-25 20:35, Mrunal Upadhyay wrote:

>I am currently trying to set DSCP fields for IPV4 and IPV6 packets with
>the version 1.3.7 of iptables using Linux kernel 2.6.35.7.
>
>iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT -p udp --dport 10000:30000 -j DSCP
>--set-dscp-class EF
>
>However when I am trying to fire the same command for IPV6 packets, is
>does not recognize the target DSCP.
>
>So my questions are Is there any way to set the TRAFFIC CLASS/ TOS/
>DSCP field using ip6tables command for ipv6 packets?

-j TOS sets the Class field in IPv6 and TOS field in IPv4.

* Set DSCP field for ipv6 packets using ip6tables command
@ 2012-01-25 23:17   ` Mrunal Upadhyay
From: Mrunal Upadhyay @ 2012-01-25 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: Jan Engelhardt

>On Wednesday 2012-01-25 20:35, Mrunal Upadhyay wrote:

>>I am currently trying to set DSCP fields for IPV4 and IPV6 packets with
>>the version 1.3.7 of iptables using Linux kernel 2.6.35.7.
>>iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT -p udp --dport 10000:30000 -j DSCP
>>--set-dscp-class EF
>>
>>However when I am trying to fire the same command for IPV6 packets, is
>>does not recognize the target DSCP.
>>
>>So my questions are Is there any way to set the TRAFFIC CLASS/ TOS/
>>DSCP field using ip6tables command for ipv6 packets?

>-j TOS sets the Class field in IPv6 and TOS field in IPv4.

Hi,
Thank you very much for the reply.

I tried to use the -j TOS option but it only sets the TOS field to Minimize-Delay, Maximize-Throughput, Maximize-Reliability, Minimize-Cost or Normal-Service.

I am more interested in setting the Differentiated Service Code Point Bits to classes EF, BE or any of CSxx or AFxx classes just for ipv6 packets using ip6tables command.

* Re: Set DSCP field for ipv6 packets using ip6tables command
@ 2012-01-25 23:48     ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2012-01-25 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mrunal Upadhyay; +Cc: netfilter

On Thursday 2012-01-26 00:17, Mrunal Upadhyay wrote:

>>-j TOS sets the Class field in IPv6 and TOS field in IPv4.
>
>I tried to use the -j TOS option but it only sets the TOS field to
>Minimize-Delay, Maximize-Throughput, Maximize-Reliability,
>Minimize-Cost or Normal-Service.

It supports setting arbitrary values and optionally keeping certain
prior bits: -j TOS --set-tos 0xab/0xcd, see manpage for details.

I guess we can add recognition of the "EF" strings et al to TOS as well,
but then again, I don't see DSCP having set significant foot into the
world. Even Linux's packet scheduler still uses the TOS mnemonics.

@ 2012-01-26  0:00       ` Mrunal Upadhyay
From: Mrunal Upadhyay @ 2012-01-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter; +Cc: Jan Engelhardt

>>>-j TOS sets the Class field in IPv6 and TOS field in IPv4.
>>
>>I tried to use the -j TOS option but it only sets the TOS field to
>>Minimize-Delay, Maximize-Throughput, Maximize-Reliability,
>>Minimize-Cost or Normal-Service.
>
>It supports setting arbitrary values and optionally keeping certain
>prior bits: -j TOS --set-tos 0xab/0xcd, see manpage for details.
>
>I guess we can add recognition of the "EF" strings et al to TOS as well,
>but then again, I don't see DSCP having set significant foot into the
>world. Even Linux's packet scheduler still uses the TOS mnemonics.

>>I am more interested in setting the Differentiated Service Code Point
>>Bits to classes EF, BE or any of CSxx or AFxx classes just for ipv6
>>packets using ip6tables command.

Ok so now I understand using -j TOS --set-tos would help me to set the desired DSCP value based on the value I pass.

But does the current ip6tables command support TOS target for IPV6 packets?

* Re: Set DSCP field for ipv6 packets using ip6tables command
@ 2012-01-26  0:35         ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2012-01-26  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mrunal Upadhyay; +Cc: netfilter

On Thursday 2012-01-26 01:00, Mrunal Upadhyay wrote:

>Ok so now I understand using -j TOS --set-tos would help me to set the
>desired DSCP value based on the value I pass.

TOS - DSCP - it's the same field, just with lots of different names for
both the field and potential values.

>But does the current ip6tables command support TOS target for IPV6
>packets?

Yes, otherwise I would not have mentioned it :)