* Using yocto as a build system
@ 2018-05-17 21:06 mamta0925
From: mamta0925 @ 2018-05-17 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi,

Apologies if these are basic questions but thought this will be the best place to find answers to the point

So our requirement is to build open source packages in Linux, windows and Mac on a build system. Currently we have an internal build system which is quite cumbersome to manage. Hence we are looking for outside options

Given our situation, is Yocto our best solution? Does it even provide for building windows and Mac open source packages?

Thanks,
Mamta

* Re: Using yocto as a build system
@ 2018-05-18 14:12 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-05-18 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mamta0925, yocto

On 05/18/2018 12:06 AM, mamta0925@yahoo.com wrote:

> Apologies if these are basic questions but thought this will be the
> best place to find answers to the point
>
> So our requirement is to build open source packages in Linux, windows
> and Mac on a build system. Currently we have an internal build system
> which is quite cumbersome to manage. Hence we are looking for outside
> options
>
> Given our situation, is Yocto our best solution? Does it even provide
> for building windows and Mac open source packages?

Generally speaking, no. Yocto is aimed at embedded Linux use cases.

If you elaborate about your product and what are the 'open source
packages', maybe someone can suggest other options.

Alex

* Re: Using yocto as a build system
@ 2018-05-18 16:15   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2018-05-18 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin, mamta0925, yocto

On 5/18/18 7:12 AM, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 05/18/2018 12:06 AM, mamta0925@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Apologies if these are basic questions but thought this will be the
>> best place to find answers to the point
>>
>> So our requirement is to build open source packages in Linux, windows
>> and Mac on a build system. Currently we have an internal build system
>> which is quite cumbersome to manage. Hence we are looking for outside
>> options
>>
>> Given our situation, is Yocto our best solution? Does it even provide
>> for building windows and Mac open source packages?

I would suggest to look into something like cmake, if you do not build
platforms. it might be good for building apps across platforms

@ 2018-05-18 17:54     ` mamta0925
From: mamta0925 @ 2018-05-18 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

Thanks Alex and Khem. There are no specific open source packages we want to build. We want a build infrastructure which we can pass on to our internal dev teams, so they can build packages themselves