* RE: (newbie) SNAT woes
@ 2003-08-07 22:53 George Vieira
From: George Vieira @ 2003-08-07 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Djernaes, netfilter

What you've missed is that tcpdump and other utilities work on different layers and if I'm not wrong (hopefully not) it's seeing the packets before the SNAT.

Also, better to use MASQUERADE rather than SNAT for workstation access to the internet.

George Vieira
Systems Manager
georgev@citadelcomputer.com.au

Citadel Computer Systems Pty Ltd
http://www.citadelcomputer.com.au

From: Ramin Dousti @ 2003-08-07 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Vieira; +Cc: Martin Djernaes, netfilter

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 08:53:21AM +1000, George Vieira wrote:

> Also, better to use MASQUERADE rather than SNAT for workstation access to the internet.

You use MASQUERADE if you have a dynamic IP otherwise use SNAT, it's more
efficient.

Ramin

* RE: (newbie) SNAT woes
@ 2003-08-08  4:14 ` Martin Djernaes
From: Martin Djernaes @ 2003-08-08  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: georgev; +Cc: martin, netfilter

Hi,

Some pepole have helped me off the list and even though it all looked
strange and I don't know what happened, it's working now!

> What you've missed is that tcpdump and other utilities work on different
> layers and if I'm not wrong (hopefully not) it's seeing the packets
> before the SNAT.

tcpdump works below ipfilter, so I see what comes out of the filter.

> Also, better to use MASQUERADE rather than SNAT for workstation access
> to the internet.

Why? ... what I have read made me beleive that SNAT was prefered when ever
possible, but I would be happy to hear something else.

Martin

> George Vieira
> Systems Manager
> georgev@citadelcomputer.com.au