* automated notification for fio releases
@ 2018-10-30 20:16 Vincent Fu
From: Vincent Fu @ 2018-10-30 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fio

Does anyone know of a means to be automatically notified of new fio
releases?

I have seen Jens post announcements via Twitter, but that is not a
social media platform I actively use. As far as I can tell, Github does
not provide a means to be notified of new releases.

Perhaps the solution is to monitor http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/ for new
fio shortlog files.

* Re: automated notification for fio releases
@ 2018-10-31 15:05 ` Sitsofe Wheeler
From: Sitsofe Wheeler @ 2018-10-31 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Fu; +Cc: fio

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 20:26, Vincent Fu <vincentfu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a means to be automatically notified of new fio
> releases?
>
> I have seen Jens post announcements via Twitter, but that is not a
> social media platform I actively use. As far as I can tell, Github does
> not provide a means to be notified of new releases.
>
> Perhaps the solution is to monitor http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/ for new
> fio shortlog files.

I think there are few things that are doing monitoring of this.
Repology ( https://repology.org/metapackage/fio/packages ) seems to
have some way of knowing, Fedora seem to use
https://release-monitoring.org/project/806/ and I think Debian have
their own watcher (https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/watch?pkg=fio ). You
might also be able to tell via github
(https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases and I think there are atom
feeds off that page).

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/

* Re: automated notification for fio releases
@ 2018-10-31 20:28   ` Vincent Fu
From: Vincent Fu @ 2018-10-31 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sitsofe Wheeler; +Cc: fio

On 10/31/18 11:05 AM, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 20:26, Vincent Fu <vincentfu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know of a means to be automatically notified of new fio
>> releases?
>>
>> I have seen Jens post announcements via Twitter, but that is not a
>> social media platform I actively use. As far as I can tell, Github does
>> not provide a means to be notified of new releases.
>>
>> Perhaps the solution is to monitor http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/ for new
>> fio shortlog files.
>
> I think there are few things that are doing monitoring of this.
> Repology ( https://repology.org/metapackage/fio/packages ) seems to
> have some way of knowing, Fedora seem to use
> https://release-monitoring.org/project/806/ and I think Debian have
> their own watcher (https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/watch?pkg=fio ). You
> might also be able to tell via github
> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases and I think there are atom
> feeds off that page).

Thanks, Sitsofe. That helps a lot. I am actually seeking to be notified
via email of new releases.

I signed up to be notified of fio release-monitoring.org changes via
Fedora notifications (https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications),
although the filter I created only produced example matches with fio-3.8
and did not pick up any later releases.

I also set up an IFTTT rule to receive email messages when updates are
made to the github fio release atom feed
(https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases.atom).

Finally, I signed up to be notified via https://newreleases.io/.

With any luck I should be bombarded with notifications when fio 3.12 is
tagged.

* Re: automated notification for fio releases
@ 2018-11-03 21:53     ` Jens Axboe
From: Jens Axboe @ 2018-11-03 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Fu, Sitsofe Wheeler; +Cc: fio

On 10/31/18 2:28 PM, Vincent Fu wrote:
> On 10/31/18 11:05 AM, Sitsofe Wheeler wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 20:26, Vincent Fu <vincentfu@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a means to be automatically notified of new fio
>>> releases?
>>>
>>> I have seen Jens post announcements via Twitter, but that is not a
>>> social media platform I actively use. As far as I can tell, Github does
>>> not provide a means to be notified of new releases.
>>>
>>> Perhaps the solution is to monitor http://brick.kernel.dk/snaps/ for new
>>> fio shortlog files.
>>
>> I think there are few things that are doing monitoring of this.
>> Repology ( https://repology.org/metapackage/fio/packages ) seems to
>> have some way of knowing, Fedora seem to use
>> https://release-monitoring.org/project/806/ and I think Debian have
>> their own watcher (https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/watch?pkg=fio ). You
>> might also be able to tell via github
>> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases and I think there are atom
>> feeds off that page).
>>

> Thanks, Sitsofe. That helps a lot. I am actually seeking to be notified
> via email of new releases.
>
> I signed up to be notified of fio release-monitoring.org changes via
> Fedora notifications (https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications),
> although the filter I created only produced example matches with fio-3.8
> and did not pick up any later releases.
>
> I also set up an IFTTT rule to receive email messages when updates are
> made to the github fio release atom feed
> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases.atom).
>
> Finally, I signed up to be notified via https://newreleases.io/.
>
> With any luck I should be bombarded with notifications when fio 3.12 is
> tagged.

Did it work?

FWIW, this list does receive any changes that were pushed to the git
repo. As tags are pushed, you'd see that in the "Recent changes" email
the next day. Not great, but it's something.

I don't announce all releases to twitter, and sometimes it'll be a day
or two before I do. Case in point, the 3.12 release hasn't been
announced there yet.

--
Jens Axboe

* Re: automated notification for fio releases
@ 2018-11-03 23:15       ` Vincent Fu
From: Vincent Fu @ 2018-11-03 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jens Axboe, Sitsofe Wheeler; +Cc: fio

On 11/3/18 5:53 PM, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On 10/31/18 2:28 PM, Vincent Fu wrote:

>>> I think there are few things that are doing monitoring of this.
>>> Repology ( https://repology.org/metapackage/fio/packages ) seems to
>>> have some way of knowing, Fedora seem to use
>>> https://release-monitoring.org/project/806/ and I think Debian have
>>> their own watcher (https://qa.debian.org/cgi-bin/watch?pkg=fio ). You
>>> might also be able to tell via github
>>> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases and I think there are atom
>>> feeds off that page).
>>>

>> Thanks, Sitsofe. That helps a lot. I am actually seeking to be notified
>> via email of new releases.
>>
>> I signed up to be notified of fio release-monitoring.org changes via
>> Fedora notifications (https://apps.fedoraproject.org/notifications),
>> although the filter I created only produced example matches with fio-3.8
>> and did not pick up any later releases.
>>
>> I also set up an IFTTT rule to receive email messages when updates are
>> made to the github fio release atom feed
>> (https://github.com/axboe/fio/releases.atom).
>>
>> Finally, I signed up to be notified via https://newreleases.io/.
>>
>> With any luck I should be bombarded with notifications when fio 3.12 is
>> tagged.
>
> Did it work?
>
> FWIW, this list does receive any changes that were pushed to the git
> repo. As tags are pushed, you'd see that in the "Recent changes" email
> the next day. Not great, but it's something.
>
> I don't announce all releases to twitter, and sometimes it'll be a day
> or two before I do. Case in point, the 3.12 release hasn't been
> announced there yet.

The atom feed for the github releases page now has an entry for fio
3.12. I see it in my news reader and I received an email for it from the
IFTTT RSS feed to email rule I created.

I also received an email from https://newreleases.io.

fio 3.12 has also appeared on
https://release-monitoring.org/project/806/ but I haven't received a
notification from the Fedora Notifications system. Either I've set it up
wrong or it doesn't work.