* [uml-devel] Regarding Address space in UML
@ 2007-03-14 13:57 Krishnappa Abhijith-A21204
From: Krishnappa Abhijith-A21204 @ 2007-03-14 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: user-mode-linux-devel

        I'm Abhi new to UML.
I had a question on Process address space in UML.
Will there be a tracing thread for each process created in UML ? which
is responsible for system call tracking ?
Also will the address space of a process in UML also consists of the
corresponding Tracing thread ?

Pls let me know.

Thanks a lot,
Abhi

* Re: [uml-devel] Regarding Address space in UML
@ 2007-03-14 14:10 ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2007-03-14 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnappa Abhijith-A21204; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 09:57:33PM +0800, Krishnappa Abhijith-A21204 wrote:
> I had a question on Process address space in UML.
> Will there be a tracing thread for each process created in UML ? which
> is responsible for system call tracking ?

No.  There is one per virtual CPU which traces the process running on
that CPU and runs the kernel for that CPU.

> Also will the address space of a process in UML also consists of the
> corresponding Tracing thread ?

No, the address space is nearly identical to what it would be on the
host.

				Jeff

--
Work email - jdike at linux dot intel dot com

* Re: [uml-devel] Regarding Address space in UML
@ 2007-03-15  3:19   ` Krishnappa Abhijith-A21204
From: Krishnappa Abhijith-A21204 @ 2007-03-15  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Dike, user-mode-linux-devel

Thanks Jeff for your response.
So Basically when we run a process in UML, the tracing thread enables
tracing for that process.
Also I had a query on creation of a corresponding process on host...
Why it is done in UML... I mean why a corresponding process gets created
in HOST ? Is it to catch all the signals that host KERNEL delivers ?

Pls let me know.
Thanks,
Abhi

@ 2007-03-15 12:14     ` Jeff Dike
From: Jeff Dike @ 2007-03-15 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnappa Abhijith-A21204; +Cc: user-mode-linux-devel

On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 11:19:37AM +0800, Krishnappa Abhijith-A21204 wrote:
> So Basically when we run a process in UML, the tracing thread enables
> tracing for that process.

You're talking about THE tracing thread.  This is true if you're
referring to the obsolete tt mode of UML. However, now, the processes
(one per virtual CPU) that run the kernel also do the ptracing.

Your statement is correct, but the terminology is a bit off.

> Also I had a query on creation of a corresponding process on host...
> Why it is done in UML... I mean why a corresponding process gets created
> in HOST ? Is it to catch all the signals that host KERNEL delivers ?

Creating a process on the host is the only way to get a new host address
space.

				Jeff

--
Work email - jdike at linux dot intel dot com