* 3c905B - Transmit error, Tx status register 82
@ 2007-03-01 16:25 WHITE, JOE (ASI-AIT)
From: WHITE, JOE (ASI-AIT) @ 2007-03-01 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrewm, netdev, linux-kernel

This server I inherited is a SUSE Linux box.

Here is the eth0 device info: eth0      device: 3Com Corporation 3c905B
100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 24)

There is this reoccurring issue I am seeing in the /var/log/messages:

Mar  1 09:44:04 thor kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register
82.
Mar  1 09:44:04 thor kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch.  See
Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

Any ideas on how I can fix this issue, I have been all over google and
have not found a solution.

Joe White
AT&T Midwest
Manager Web Development
Phone: 847-248-7800
Pager: 312-689-3100

* Re: 3c905B - Transmit error, Tx status register 82
@ 2007-03-01 18:13 ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2007-03-01 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WHITE, JOE (ASI-AIT); +Cc: andrewm, netdev, linux-kernel

On 3/1/07, WHITE, JOE (ASI-AIT) <jw2365@att.com> wrote:
> Mar  1 09:44:04 thor kernel: Probably a duplex mismatch.  See
> Documentation/networking/vortex.txt

Um... did you check Documentation/networking/vortex.txt?

261	Transmit error, Tx status register 82
262	-------------------------------------
263
264	This is a common error which is almost always caused by another host on
265	the same network being in full-duplex mode, while this host is in
266	half-duplex mode.  You need to find that other host and make it run in
267	half-duplex mode or fix this host to run in full-duplex mode.
268
269	As a last resort, you can force the 3c59x driver into full-duplex mode
270	with
271
272		options 3c59x full_duplex=1
273
274	but this has to be viewed as a workaround for broken network gear and
275	should only really be used for equipment which cannot autonegotiate.
276

Lee

* RE: 3c905B - Transmit error, Tx status register 82
@ 2007-03-01 22:08   ` WHITE, JOE (ASI-AIT)
From: WHITE, JOE (ASI-AIT) @ 2007-03-01 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lee Revell; +Cc: andrewm, netdev, linux-kernel

Lee,

Thanks for the reply.

We have tried moving my network connection to a new switch, replaced the
cables, but still getting that error.

What do I do with that command options 3c59x full_duplex=1, where do I
put it?  Bare with me as I am a newbie.

Thanks,
Joe

@ 2007-03-01 22:15     ` Lee Revell
From: Lee Revell @ 2007-03-01 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: WHITE, JOE (ASI-AIT); +Cc: andrewm, netdev, linux-kernel

On 3/1/07, WHITE, JOE (ASI-AIT) <jw2365@att.com> wrote:
> Lee,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> We have tried moving my network connection to a new switch, replaced the
> cables, but still getting that error.
>
> What do I do with that command options 3c59x full_duplex=1, where do I
> put it?  Bare with me as I am a newbie.

Easiest way to test is to shut down all networking, "rmmod 3c59x",
then "modprobe 3c59x full_duplex=1".

If that solves the problem you need to figure out where your distro
stores kernel module options and add it there.  They all do it
differently (for no good reason).

Lee