* Pushing tag from a partial clone
@ 2020-07-20 11:44 Son Luong Ngoc
From: Son Luong Ngoc @ 2020-07-20 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hi folks,

At $day_job, we are trying to push tags to a repo from a partial clone copy.
However it seems like this push would requires the partial clone copy to download more objects?
Is this intended?

Reproduce:

	mkdir repo && cd repo
	git init
	git remote add origin git@domain.com:path/repo.git
	git fetch --filter=tree:0 --no-tags --prune origin <commit-id>
	git sparse-checkout init --cone
	git checkout --force <commit-id>
	git tag -a sluongng-test -m "Test push from partial clone"
	git push HEAD:refs/tags/sluongng-test
	<git starts to download objects>

Ideally we would like to be able to push tag from a shallow + partial clone repo without
having to download extra objects if possible.
We would like to keep the required repo to the absolute minimum.
	git fetch --depth 1 --filter=tree:0 --no-tags --prune origin <commit-id>

Creating and pushing tags should not require local repo to have trees/blobs in it?

Git version: 2.27.0

Cheers,
Son Luong.