* OMAP 3530 without a PMIC
@ 2011-02-22 20:41 Boswell, Patrick
From: Boswell, Patrick @ 2011-02-22 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-omap

Hello,

I've designed an OMAP3530 board without a PMIC.

While trying to boot, the kernel cannot locate the rootfs on
/dev/mmcblk0p2.

The kernel fails to locate the block device when calling
blk_lookup_devt() in genhd.c.

The twl regulator support must be compiled in to support the MMC reader.
How do I go about
creating an "always on" or "not managed" VMMC so that the device
operates properly?

Thanks.

* Re: OMAP 3530 without a PMIC
@ 2011-02-22 22:00 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2011-02-22 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boswell, Patrick; +Cc: linux-omap

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 03:41:39PM -0500, Boswell, Patrick wrote:

> The twl regulator support must be compiled in to support the MMC reader.
> How do I go about
> creating an "always on" or "not managed" VMMC so that the device
> operates properly?

Use a fixed voltage regulator, or if you don't have any software
controllable regulators in your system at all then just disable the
regulator API and it should stub itself out to look like a fixed voltage
regulator.

* Re: OMAP 3530 without a PMIC
@ 2011-02-23 20:06 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2011-02-23 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boswell, Patrick; +Cc: linux-omap

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 09:14:10AM -0500, Boswell, Patrick wrote:

Don't top post and please fix your mail client to word wrap within
paragraphs.

> I will check that out Mark.

> I did notice that there was discussion a while back about "dummy
> regulators". I think that might work -- has anyone tried this
> approach?

That's implemented but isn't really relevant if you're not using
regulators on your system.  It's also a bit of a stopgap solution - it
papers over the issue at runtime but ideally the code would make it
clear that everything is working correctly.

* Re: OMAP 3530 without a PMIC
@ 2011-02-23 14:14 Boswell, Patrick
From: Boswell, Patrick @ 2011-02-23 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: linux-omap