* Battery voltage unknown during charging
@ 2016-09-29 13:30 Adam Wysocki
From: Adam Wysocki @ 2016-09-29 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm

Hi,

I hope it's the right list to ask.

I'm writing a driver to report battery state on HP Jornada 720 handheld
PC. Hardware provides the raw value read from ADC (corresponding to the
voltage) and two binary values: whether AC power is connected or not, and
whether battery is charging or charged. It doesn't have any fuel gauge IC.

The problem is that during charging the ADC value doesn't reflect the
actual battery voltage. It is reliable only during discharging.

Is there a way to reflect this in the driver? What should I return in
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW property when the battery is being charged and
ADC returns garbage? Maybe I return some error (which one?) in my
get_property function then?

Also, if the hardware doesn't provide the capacity (percentage), should it
be calculated in the driver or not? The same about capacity_level (full,
high, medium, low, critical)... it's not reported by hardware, but can be
easily calculated. My understanding after reading power_supply_class.txt
is that the first one shouldn't be calculated, but I'm not sure about the
second one.

Thank you!

--
http://www.chmurka.net/

only message in thread, other threads:[~2016-09-29 13:35 UTC | newest]