* Follow up on "call helper function by address" terminology
@ 2024-04-05 20:10 ` dthaler1968=40googlemail.com
From: dthaler1968 @ 2024-04-05 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpf, bpf

At IETF 119, we agreed that "by address" should be changed to something else
in the ISA.
The term "legacy ID" was used during the discussion but Christoph (if I
remember right)
pointed out that such IDs are not deprecated per se.  Hence "legacy" may not
be the
right word since we use that word with legacy packet access instructions
that are
deprecated. We decided to take further discussion to the list, hence this
email.

We need some term to distinguish them from BTF IDs, so another alternative
might be "non-BTF ID".

Thoughts, or other alternatives?

Dave

* [Bpf] Follow up on "call helper function by address" terminology
@ 2024-04-05 20:10 ` dthaler1968=40googlemail.com
From: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com @ 2024-04-05 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bpf, bpf

At IETF 119, we agreed that "by address" should be changed to something else
in the ISA.
The term "legacy ID" was used during the discussion but Christoph (if I
remember right)
pointed out that such IDs are not deprecated per se.  Hence "legacy" may not
be the
right word since we use that word with legacy packet access instructions
that are
deprecated. We decided to take further discussion to the list, hence this
email.

We need some term to distinguish them from BTF IDs, so another alternative
might be "non-BTF ID".

Thoughts, or other alternatives?

Dave

* Re: [Bpf] Follow up on "call helper function by address" terminology
@ 2024-04-05 21:50   ` David Vernet
From: David Vernet @ 2024-04-05 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com; +Cc: bpf, bpf

On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 01:10:38PM -0700, dthaler1968=40googlemail.com@dmarc.ietf.org wrote:
> At IETF 119, we agreed that "by address" should be changed to
> something else in the ISA.  The term "legacy ID" was used during the
> discussion but Christoph (if I remember right) pointed out that such
> IDs are not deprecated per se.  Hence "legacy" may not be the right
> word since we use that word with legacy packet access instructions
> that are deprecated. We decided to take further discussion to the
> list, hence this email.
>
> We need some term to distinguish them from BTF IDs, so another
> alternative might be "non-BTF ID".

Non-BTF ID is fine with me. Any objections?

Thanks,
David

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

From: David Vernet @ 2024-04-05 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com; +Cc: bpf, bpf

On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 01:10:38PM -0700, dthaler1968=40googlemail.com@dmarc.ietf.org wrote:
> At IETF 119, we agreed that "by address" should be changed to
> something else in the ISA.  The term "legacy ID" was used during the
> discussion but Christoph (if I remember right) pointed out that such
> IDs are not deprecated per se.  Hence "legacy" may not be the right
> word since we use that word with legacy packet access instructions
> that are deprecated. We decided to take further discussion to the
> list, hence this email.
>
> We need some term to distinguish them from BTF IDs, so another
> alternative might be "non-BTF ID".

Non-BTF ID is fine with me. Any objections?

Thanks,
David

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Bpf] Follow up on "call helper function by address" terminology
@ 2024-04-07  6:57     ` Watson Ladd
From: Watson Ladd @ 2024-04-07  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Vernet; +Cc: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com, bpf, bpf

On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 2:50 PM David Vernet <void@manifault.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 01:10:38PM -0700, dthaler1968=40googlemail.com@dmarc.ietf.org wrote:
> > At IETF 119, we agreed that "by address" should be changed to
> > something else in the ISA.  The term "legacy ID" was used during the
> > discussion but Christoph (if I remember right) pointed out that such
> > IDs are not deprecated per se.  Hence "legacy" may not be the right
> > word since we use that word with legacy packet access instructions
> > that are deprecated. We decided to take further discussion to the
> > list, hence this email.
> >
> > We need some term to distinguish them from BTF IDs, so another
> > alternative might be "non-BTF ID".
>
> Non-BTF ID is fine with me. Any objections?

If something later comes along supplanting BTF it will be the not-BTF
not-non-BTF thing. This is bad. How about untyped identifiers?

> Thanks,
> David

Astra mortemque praestare gradatim

From: Watson Ladd @ 2024-04-07  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Vernet; +Cc: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com, bpf, bpf

@ 2024-04-07 16:23       ` dthaler1968=40googlemail.com
From: dthaler1968 @ 2024-04-07 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Watson Ladd', 'David Vernet'
  Cc: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com, bpf, bpf

Watson Ladd wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 2:50 PM David Vernet <void@manifault.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 01:10:38PM -0700,
> dthaler1968=40googlemail.com@dmarc.ietf.org wrote:
> > > At IETF 119, we agreed that "by address" should be changed to
> > > something else in the ISA.  The term "legacy ID" was used during the
> > > discussion but Christoph (if I remember right) pointed out that such
> > > IDs are not deprecated per se.  Hence "legacy" may not be the right
> > > word since we use that word with legacy packet access instructions
> > > that are deprecated. We decided to take further discussion to the
> > > list, hence this email.
> > >
> > > We need some term to distinguish them from BTF IDs, so another
> > > alternative might be "non-BTF ID".
> >
> > Non-BTF ID is fine with me. Any objections?
>
> If something later comes along supplanting BTF it will be the not-BTF not-non-
> BTF thing. This is bad. How about untyped identifiers?

For runtimes that have a way to look up type info from a non-BTF ID, the
ID is not "untyped" per se.

Other possibilities:
* Classic ID, but "classic" would imply classic BPF
* Index, but that would imply the runtime actually has to implement it as an index

As such, I think "non-BTF ID" is better than the other possibilities above, and a
future ISA version could always rename it if other things come up in the future
that necessitate a terminology change.

From: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com @ 2024-04-07 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Watson Ladd', 'David Vernet'
  Cc: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com, bpf, bpf

Watson Ladd wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 2:50 PM David Vernet <void@manifault.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 01:10:38PM -0700,
> dthaler1968=40googlemail.com@dmarc.ietf.org wrote:
> > > At IETF 119, we agreed that "by address" should be changed to
> > > something else in the ISA.  The term "legacy ID" was used during the
> > > discussion but Christoph (if I remember right) pointed out that such
> > > IDs are not deprecated per se.  Hence "legacy" may not be the right
> > > word since we use that word with legacy packet access instructions
> > > that are deprecated. We decided to take further discussion to the
> > > list, hence this email.
> > >
> > > We need some term to distinguish them from BTF IDs, so another
> > > alternative might be "non-BTF ID".
> >
> > Non-BTF ID is fine with me. Any objections?
>
> If something later comes along supplanting BTF it will be the not-BTF not-non-
> BTF thing. This is bad. How about untyped identifiers?

For runtimes that have a way to look up type info from a non-BTF ID, the
ID is not "untyped" per se.

Other possibilities:
* Classic ID, but "classic" would imply classic BPF
* Index, but that would imply the runtime actually has to implement it as an index

As such, I think "non-BTF ID" is better than the other possibilities above, and a
future ISA version could always rename it if other things come up in the future
that necessitate a terminology change.

Dave

* Re: [Bpf] Follow up on "call helper function by address" terminology
  (?)
@ 2024-04-18  7:01       ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2024-04-18  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com
  Cc: 'Watson Ladd', 'David Vernet', bpf, bpf

Maybe "static ID", or "pre-assigned" id?

* RE: [Bpf] Follow up on "call helper function by address" terminology
@ 2024-04-18 12:46           ` dthaler1968=40googlemail.com
From: dthaler1968 @ 2024-04-18 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christoph Hellwig', dthaler1968=40googlemail.com
  Cc: 'Watson Ladd', 'David Vernet', bpf, bpf

Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:
> Maybe "static ID", or "pre-assigned" id?

I'd be ok with either of those. If I don't hear
otherwise, I'll create a patch using "static ID".

From: dthaler1968=40googlemail.com @ 2024-04-18 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Christoph Hellwig', dthaler1968=40googlemail.com
  Cc: 'Watson Ladd', 'David Vernet', bpf, bpf