* when will nftables have ability to delete matching rule like iptables?
@ 2021-03-08 13:14 Amish
From: Amish @ 2021-03-08 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hello,

I have few programs that currently use iptables to add / delete firewall
rules.

I have been waiting to migrate to nftables from 3-4 years. (I do not
want to use nft based iptables)

But roadblock for me is inability of nftables to delete a matching rule.
(similart to iptables -D INPUT -s 192.168.1.10 -j ACCEPT)

Obtaining the handle first and then deleting is difficult programmatically.

Have I missed any easy way out here?

Why is it difficult for nftables to find and delete matching rule?

Is there any ETA for this?

Curious to know,

Thank you,

Amish.

* Re: when will nftables have ability to delete matching rule like iptables?
@ 2021-03-08 15:24 ` kfm
From: kfm @ 2021-03-08 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amish, netfilter

On 08/03/2021 13:14, Amish wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have few programs that currently use iptables to add / delete firewall
> rules.
>
> I have been waiting to migrate to nftables from 3-4 years. (I do not
> want to use nft based iptables)
>
> But roadblock for me is inability of nftables to delete a matching rule.
> (similart to iptables -D INPUT -s 192.168.1.10 -j ACCEPT)
>
> Obtaining the handle first and then deleting is difficult programmatically.
>
> Have I missed any easy way out here?

Assuming that "-D INPUT -s 192.168.1.10 -j ACCEPT" is indicative of the
rules that are being added and removed, the easy way would be to
manipulate a set rather than a chain. That also goes for iptables, given
the existence of ipset.

--
Kerin Millar

* Re: when will nftables have ability to delete matching rule like iptables?
@ 2021-03-08 22:46   ` Amish V
From: Amish V @ 2021-03-08 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kfm; +Cc: netfilter

> On 08-Mar-2021, at 8:54 PM, "" <kfm@plushkava.net> <kfm@plushkava.net> wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2021 13:14, Amish wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I have few programs that currently use iptables to add / delete firewall rules.
>> I have been waiting to migrate to nftables from 3-4 years. (I do not want to use nft based iptables)
>> But roadblock for me is inability of nftables to delete a matching rule. (similart to iptables -D INPUT -s 192.168.1.10 -j ACCEPT)
>> Obtaining the handle first and then deleting is difficult programmatically.
>> Have I missed any easy way out here?
>
> Assuming that "-D INPUT -s 192.168.1.10 -j ACCEPT" is indicative of the rules that are being added and removed, the easy way would be to manipulate a set rather than a chain. That also goes for iptables, given the existence of ipset.

No I have many complex rules. Above was just an example.

When rules are complex parsing the nft output programmatically to find the handle of the rule is not easy.

Regards,

Amish