* Pause/Resume and flush for V4L2 codec drivers.
@ 2012-01-06  2:31 vkalia
From: vkalia @ 2012-01-06  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi

I am trying to implement v4l2 driver for video decoders. The problem I am
facing is how to send pause/resume and flush commands from user-space to
v4l2 driver. I am thinking of using controls for this. Has anyone done
this before or if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Appreciate your
help.

Thanks
Vinay

* Re: Pause/Resume and flush for V4L2 codec drivers.
@ 2012-01-06 10:44 ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2012-01-06 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vkalia; +Cc: linux-media

On Friday, January 06, 2012 03:31:37 vkalia@codeaurora.org wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to implement v4l2 driver for video decoders. The problem I am
> facing is how to send pause/resume and flush commands from user-space to
> v4l2 driver. I am thinking of using controls for this. Has anyone done
> this before or if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Appreciate your
> help.

See this patch series:

http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-media@vger.kernel.org/msg40516.html

Does this give you what you need?

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2012-01-07  1:55   ` vkalia
From: vkalia @ 2012-01-07  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Verkuil; +Cc: vkalia, linux-media

Thanks Hans.

Yes it does solve a part of my problem - Pause/Resume. But I dont see any
command defined for Flush yet. Do you think we should add one more command
to Flush. Also, I see two more commands

#define V4L2_DEC_CMD_START       (0)
#define V4L2_DEC_CMD_STOP        (1)

How should I use the above two commands for an encoding/decoding session?
I was calling start/stop to hardware in streamon/streamoff earlier.

Thanks
Vinay

@ 2012-01-11  8:37     ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2012-01-11  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vkalia; +Cc: linux-media

On Saturday 07 January 2012 02:55:08 vkalia@codeaurora.org wrote:
> Thanks Hans.
>
> Yes it does solve a part of my problem - Pause/Resume. But I dont see any
> command defined for Flush yet. Do you think we should add one more command
> to Flush.

What exactly does flush do? Is it the equivalent of an immediate stop?

> Also, I see two more commands
>
> #define V4L2_DEC_CMD_START       (0)
> #define V4L2_DEC_CMD_STOP        (1)
>
> How should I use the above two commands for an encoding/decoding session?
> I was calling start/stop to hardware in streamon/streamoff earlier.

See the documentation of these commands in patch 2/8: a write() or streamon
does an implicit decoder start, and close/streamoff() does an implicit
immediate stop.

For hardware codecs that handle a compressed stream (as opposed to separate
compressed frames) it is often very useful to implement the read/write API.
That tends to be a natural API to use. E.g. you can just do:

	cat test.mpg >/dev/videoX

Regards,

	Hans

@ 2012-01-11 14:25 ` Laurent Pinchart
From: Laurent Pinchart @ 2012-01-11 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vkalia; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Vinay,

On Friday 06 January 2012 03:31:37 vkalia@codeaurora.org wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to implement v4l2 driver for video decoders. The problem I am
> facing is how to send pause/resume and flush commands from user-space to
> v4l2 driver. I am thinking of using controls for this. Has anyone done
> this before or if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Appreciate your
> help.

Is this a memory-to-memory device, or a live stream decoder ?

Laurent Pinchart