* Patch process question
@ 2018-04-25 17:49 Martin Kelly
From: Martin Kelly @ 2018-04-25 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-iio; +Cc: Jonathan Cameron

Hi,

I have a quick question regarding the patch submission process for IIO.
Let's say I have a patch that I know will hit conflicts against other
accepted patches that are in linux-iio testing and/or togreg but have
not yet landed in torvalds master.

Which of these things should I do?

- Make patch against torvalds master (then it will have merge conflicts
when accepted).

- Make patch against testing or togreg (whichever branch contains the
conflicts).

- Wait to test/send the patch until the patches with conflicts make it
into torvalds master (this could be a while, and depending on which
patches get accepted, more conflicts may arise again in testing/togreg).

Thanks,
Martin

* Re: Patch process question
@ 2018-04-25 18:09 ` Lars-Peter Clausen
From: Lars-Peter Clausen @ 2018-04-25 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Kelly, linux-iio; +Cc: Jonathan Cameron

On 04/25/2018 07:49 PM, Martin Kelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a quick question regarding the patch submission process for IIO.
> Let's say I have a patch that I know will hit conflicts against other
> accepted patches that are in linux-iio testing and/or togreg but have
> not yet landed in torvalds master.
>
> Which of these things should I do?
>
> - Make patch against torvalds master (then it will have merge conflicts
> when accepted).
>
> - Make patch against testing or togreg (whichever branch contains the
> conflicts).

Either this...

> - Wait to test/send the patch until the patches with conflicts make it
> into torvalds master (this could be a while, and depending on which
> patches get accepted, more conflicts may arise again in testing/togreg).

or this.

* Re: Patch process question
@ 2018-04-26 17:00   ` Martin Kelly
From: Martin Kelly @ 2018-04-26 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars-Peter Clausen, linux-iio; +Cc: Jonathan Cameron

On 04/25/2018 11:09 AM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 04/25/2018 07:49 PM, Martin Kelly wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a quick question regarding the patch submission process for IIO.
>> Let's say I have a patch that I know will hit conflicts against other
>> accepted patches that are in linux-iio testing and/or togreg but have
>> not yet landed in torvalds master.
>>
>> Which of these things should I do?
>>
>> - Make patch against torvalds master (then it will have merge conflicts
>> when accepted).
>>
>> - Make patch against testing or togreg (whichever branch contains the
>> conflicts).
>
> Either this...
>
>> - Wait to test/send the patch until the patches with conflicts make it
>> into torvalds master (this could be a while, and depending on which
>> patches get accepted, more conflicts may arise again in testing/togreg).
>
> or this.

Thanks!