* [dm-crypt] Expanding a LUKS partition to a second drive.
@ 2020-02-11 19:21 James Dehnert
From: James Dehnert @ 2020-02-11 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Greetings dm-crypt group,

I have a situation where I have an existing LUKS encrypted partition (root)
and the user wants to expand that partition onto a second drive.

The existing partition was created at configuration as part of the Ubuntu
preseed setup.

I know how to do this with LVM, but I'm not sure if this can be done
without backing up all the data, and then rebuilding the system from
scratch.

I'm not sure where the LUKS volume is created in respect to LVM.  I
can't tell if its created directly on the physical volume, on the volume
group, or on the logical volume, so I'm noy sure where I should be looking
to expand the substrate.  Or if this is even possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, even if its just "It can't be
done".

—
Thanks,    James "Zeke" Dehnert

  Zeke Dehnert
  Senior Linux IT Engineer
  Cruise LLC
  zeke.dehnert@getcruise.com

--

*Confidentiality Note:* We care about protecting our proprietary
information, confidential material, and trade secrets. This message may