* vcan OpenWRT
@ 2022-07-12 15:41 Sergio Alberto Valdivia
From: Sergio Alberto Valdivia @ 2022-07-12 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-can

Hi my name is Sergio, I’m trying to use can-utils in an Onion Omega 2 pro, which runs OpenWRT.

I have already installed the can-utils packages, but when I try to create a virtual CAN interface I get the following error: failed to find a module named vcan.

Hope you could help me solve this ussue. Regards,

Sergio A. Valdivia

* Re: vcan OpenWRT
@ 2022-07-12 19:47 ` Jeroen Hofstee
From: Jeroen Hofstee @ 2022-07-12 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergio Alberto Valdivia, linux-can

Hello Sergio,

On 7/12/22 17:41, Sergio Alberto Valdivia wrote:
> Hi my name is Sergio, I’m trying to use can-utils in an Onion Omega 2 pro, which runs OpenWRT.
>
> I have already installed the can-utils packages, but when I try to create a virtual CAN interface I get the following error: failed to find a module named vcan.

You should ask the OpenWRT folks to build the module and make it
available or build
it yourself.

Regards,

Jeroen

* Re: vcan OpenWRT
@ 2022-07-12 20:30 ` Oliver Hartkopp
       [not found]   ` <SN7PR14MB4270FF670FBC33CAC9BAD5CADD869@SN7PR14MB4270.namprd14.prod.outlook.com>
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2022-07-12 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergio Alberto Valdivia, linux-can

Hi Sergio,

On 12.07.22 17:41, Sergio Alberto Valdivia wrote:
> Hi my name is Sergio, I’m trying to use can-utils in an Onion Omega 2 pro, which runs OpenWRT.
>
> I have already installed the can-utils packages, but when I try to create a virtual CAN interface I get the following error: failed to find a module named vcan.

You need to install the vcan kernel module first.

E.g. on OpenWrt 21.02.3 it looks like this:

# opkg update

# opkg list | grep vcan
kmod-can-vcan - 5.4.188-1 - Similar to the network loopback devices,
vcan offers a virtual local CAN interface.

# opkg install kmod-can-vcan
Installing kmod-can-vcan (5.4.188-1) to root...
Downloading
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.3/targets/ath79/generic/packages/kmod-can-vcan_5.4.188-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Installing kmod-can (5.4.188-1) to root...
Downloading
https://downloads.openwrt.org/releases/21.02.3/targets/ath79/generic/packages/kmod-can_5.4.188-1_mips_24kc.ipk
Configuring kmod-can.
Configuring kmod-can-vcan.

# lsmod | grep vcan
vcan                    2192  0

There we are ;-)

# ip link add type vcan

Then you can see vcan0 in

# cat /proc/net/dev

Best regards,
Oliver

* Re: vcan OpenWRT
       [not found]   ` <SN7PR14MB4270FF670FBC33CAC9BAD5CADD869@SN7PR14MB4270.namprd14.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2022-07-12 21:49     ` Oliver Hartkopp
From: Oliver Hartkopp @ 2022-07-12 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergio Alberto Valdivia; +Cc: linux-can

On 12.07.22 23:18, Sergio Alberto Valdivia wrote:
> Thank you very much, I guess I have a previous version of OpenWRT because it can’t find the vcan module.

OpenWrt 21.02.3 is the latest stable version.
You should upgrade your system to stay secure!

Have fun!
Oliver