* RBD image usage with librbd (rbd du)
@ 2016-02-06  7:57 Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2016-02-06  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

I'm working on libvirt again and for volumes libvirt has a 'capacity' and
'allocation'.

Until recently both were set to the size of the RBD image since it was not
possible to fetch the allocation of a image.

We now have 'rbd du' and this uses a librbd call to fetch the real usage of a
image.

What is the best way to fetch the 'allocation' of a RBD image using librbd (C)?
rbd_stat() won't tell and looking through librbd.h I don't know which function
to use.

Thanks,

Wido

* Re: RBD image usage with librbd (rbd du)
@ 2016-02-08 13:44 ` Jason Dillaman
From: Jason Dillaman @ 2016-02-08 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: ceph-devel

The 'rbd du' utility actually just performs a diff operation on the image [1].  If the image doesn't have the _FAST_DIFF feature enabled, this operation will require scanning all potential objects in the RBD image.

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/tools/rbd/action/DiskUsage.cc#L58

--

Jason Dillaman

@ 2016-02-09 15:10   ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2016-02-09 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Dillaman; +Cc: ceph-devel

> Op 8 februari 2016 om 14:44 schreef Jason Dillaman <dillaman@redhat.com>:
>

> The 'rbd du' utility actually just performs a diff operation on the image [1].
>  If the image doesn't have the _FAST_DIFF feature enabled, this operation will
> require scanning all potential objects in the RBD image.

Thanks! How does this look:
https://github.com/wido/libvirt/commit/16817a46b6948bd97968712d4865299da54b4fff

If all good I'll send it to libvirt upstream.

Wido