* [STATUS 2.5]  July 10, 2002
@ 2002-07-10  5:11 Guillaume Boissiere
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Guillaume Boissiere @ 2002-07-10  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Check out http://www.kernelnewbies.org/status/ for the latest kernel
status update.

Many link changes this week to reflect new URLs for several projects.
Also removed some URLs that were not very useful or pointing to patches
through the Bitkeeper Web interface that kept changing (I think the
Bitmover team is working on a fix - I'll put them back when that's
done).

Finally, on the cleanup side, I am planning on removing the following
entries that have been submitted a while back and don't look like
there are going to be accepted for inclusion anytime soon:
   - Better event logging for enterprise systems
   - Linux booting ELF images
   - First pass at LinuxBIOS support
   - Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT)
   - Scalable CPU bitmasks

Also on the planned deletion list:
   - Add thrashing control
   - Generic parameter/command line interface

As usual, feedback welcome!
Enjoy,

-- Guillaume

----------------------------------
Linux Kernel 2.5 Status  -  July 10th, 2002
(Latest kernel release is 2.5.25)

Features:

Merged
o in 2.5.1+   Rewrite of the block IO (bio) layer             (Jens Axboe)
o in 2.5.2    Initial support for USB 2.0                     (David Brownell, Greg
Kroah-Hartman, etc.)
o in 2.5.2    Per-process namespaces, late-boot cleanups      (Al Viro, Manfred
Spraul)
o in 2.5.2+   New scheduler for improved scalability          (Ingo Molnar)
o in 2.5.2+   New kernel device structure (kdev_t)            (Linus Torvalds, etc.)
o in 2.5.3    IDE layer update                                (Andre Hedrick)
o in 2.5.3    Support reiserfs external journal               (Reiserfs team)
o in 2.5.3    Generic ACL (Access Control List) support       (Nathan Scott)
o in 2.5.3    PnP BIOS driver                                 (Alan Cox, Thomas
Hood, Dave Jones, etc.)
o in 2.5.3+   New driver model & unified device tree          (Patrick Mochel)
o in 2.5.4    Add preempt kernel option                       (Robert Love,
MontaVista team)
o in 2.5.4    Support for Next Generation POSIX Threading     (NGPT team)
o in 2.5.4+   Porting all input devices over to input API     (Vojtech Pavlik,
James Simmons)
o in 2.5.5    Add ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)    (ALSA team)
o in 2.5.5    Pagetables in highmem support                   (Ingo Molnar, Arjan
van de Ven)
o in 2.5.5    New architecture: AMD 64-bit (x86-64)           (Andi Kleen, x86-64
Linux team)
o in 2.5.5    New architecture: PowerPC 64-bit (ppc64)        (Anton Blanchard,
ppc64 team)
o in 2.5.5+   IDE subsystem rewrite                           (Martin Dalecki)
o in 2.5.6    Add JFS (Journaling FileSystem from IBM)        (JFS team)
o in 2.5.6    per_cpu infrastructure                          (Rusty Russell)
o in 2.5.6    HDLC (High-level Data Link Control) update      (Krzysztof Halasa)
o in 2.5.6    smbfs Unicode and large file support            (Urban Widmark)
o in 2.5.7    New driver API for Wireless Extensions          (Jean Tourrilhes)
o in 2.5.7    Video for Linux (V4L) redesign                  (Gerd Knorr)
o in 2.5.7    Futexes (Fast Lightweight Userspace Semaphores) (Rusty Russell, etc.)
o in 2.5.7+   NAPI network interrupt mitigation               (Jamal Hadi Salim,
Robert Olsson, Alexey Kuznetsov)
o in 2.5.7+   ACPI (Advanced Configuration & Power Interface) (Andy Grover, ACPI
team)
o in 2.5.8    Syscall interface for CPU task affinity         (Robert Love)
o in 2.5.8    Radix-tree pagecache                            (Momchil Velikov,
Christoph Hellwig)
o in 2.5.8+   Delayed disk block allocation                   (Andrew Morton)
o in 2.5.9    Smarter IRQ balancing                           (Ingo Molnar)
o in 2.5.11   Replace old NTFS driver with NTFS TNG driver    (Anton Altaparmakov)
o in 2.5.11   Fast walk dcache                                (Hanna Linder)
o in 2.5.11+  Rewrite of the framebuffer layer                (James Simmons)
o in 2.5.12+  Rewrite of the buffer layer                     (Andrew Morton)
o in 2.5.14   Support for IDE TCQ (Tagged Command Queueing)   (Jens Axboe)
o in 2.5.14   Bluetooth support (no longer experimental!)     (Maxim Krasnyansky,
Bluetooth team)
o in 2.5.17   New quota system supporting plugins             (Jan Kara)
o in 2.5.17+  Move ISDN4Linux to CAPI based interface         (Kai Germaschewski,
ISDN4Linux team)
o in 2.5.18   Software suspend (to disk & RAM)                (Pavel Machek)
o in 2.5.23   More complete IEEE 802.2 stack                  (Arnaldo, Jay
Schullist, from Procom donated code)
o in 2.5.23+  Hotplug CPU support                             (Rusty Russell)

o in -dj      Rewrite of the console layer                    (James Simmons)
o in -dj      New MTRR (Memory Type Range Register) driver    (Patrick Mochel)
o in -dj      Add support for CPU clock/voltage scaling       (Erik Mouw, Dave
Jones, Russell King, Arjan van de Ven)
o in -ac      Strict address space accounting                 (Alan Cox)
o in -ac      PCMCIA Zoom video support                       (Alan Cox)
o in -ac      More complete NetBEUI stack                     (Arnaldo Carvalho de
Melo, from Procom donated code)
o in -ac      Improved i2o (Intelligent Input/Ouput) layer    (Alan Cox)

o Ready       Better event logging for enterprise systems     (Larry Kessler, evlog
team)
o Ready       Linux booting ELF images                        (Eric Biederman)
o Ready       First pass at LinuxBIOS support                 (Eric Biederman)
o Ready       Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT)      (Karim Yaghmour)
o Ready       New kernel build system (kbuild 2.5)            (Keith Owens)
o Ready       Read-Copy Update Mutual Exclusion               (Dipankar Sarma,
Rusty Russell, Andrea Arcangeli, LSE Team)
o Ready       USB gadget support                              (Stuart Lynne, Greg
Kroah-Hartman)
o Ready       Scalable CPU bitmasks                           (Russ Weight)
o Ready       Add hardware sensors drivers                    (lm_sensors team)

o Beta        Serial driver restructure                       (Russell King)
o Beta        New IO scheduler                                (Jens Axboe)
o Beta        Add XFS (A journaling filesystem from SGI)      (XFS team)
o Beta        New VM with reverse mappings                    (Rik van Riel)
o Beta        Fix long-held locks for low scheduling latency  (Andrew Morton,
Robert Love, etc.)
o Beta        Add Linux Security Module (LSM)                 (LSM team)
o Beta        Per-mountpoint read-only, union-mounts, unionfs (Al Viro)
o Beta        EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System)      (EVMS team)
o Beta        LVM (Logical Volume Manager) v2.0               (LVM team)
o Beta        Dynamic Probes                                  (Suparna
Bhattacharya, dprobes team)
o Beta        Page table sharing                              (Daniel Phillips)
o Beta        ext2/ext3 online resize support                 (Andreas Dilger)
o Beta        Add User-Mode Linux (UML)                       (Jeff Dike)
o Beta        UDF Write support for CD-R/RW (packet writing)  (Jens Axboe, Peter
Osterlund)
o Beta        Asynchronous IO (aio) support                   (Ben LaHaise)
o Beta        Direct pagecache <-> BIO disk I/O               (Andrew Morton)

o Alpha       Better support of high-end NUMA machines        (NUMA team)
o Alpha       Full compliance with IPv6                       (Alexey Kuznetzov,
Jun Murai, Yoshifuji Hideaki, USAGI team)
o Alpha       UMSDOS (Unix under MS-DOS) Rewrite              (Al Viro)
o Alpha       Scalable Statistics Counter                     (Ravikiran Thirumalai)
o Alpha       Linux Kernel Crash Dumps                        (Matt Robinson, LKCD
team)
o Alpha       Add support for NFS v4                          (NFS v4 team)
o Alpha       ext2/ext3 large directory support: HTree index  (Daniel Phillips,
Christopher Li, Ted Ts'o)
o Alpha       Remove use of the BKL (Big Kernel Lock)         (Alan Cox, Robert
Love, Neil Brown, Dave Hansen, etc.)
o Alpha       Zerocopy NFS                                    (Hirokazu Takahashi)
o Alpha       Change all drivers to new driver model          (All maintainers)
o Alpha       Remove the 2TB block device limit               (Peter Chubb)
o Alpha       SCTP (Stream Control Transmission Protocol)     (lksctp team)

o Started     Overhaul PCMCIA support                         (David Woodhouse,
David Hinds)
o Started     Reiserfs v4                                     (Reiserfs team)
o Started     Serial ATA support                              (Andre Hedrick)
o Started     InfiniBand support                              (InfiniBand team)
* Started     Fix device naming issues                        (Patrick Mochel, Greg
Kroah-Hartman)

o Draft #2    New lightweight library (klibc)                 (Greg Kroah-Hartman)
o Draft #3    Replace initrd by initramfs                     (H. Peter Anvin, Al
Viro)
o Planning    Add thrashing control                           (Rik van Riel)
o Planning    Remove all hardwired drivers from kernel        (Alan Cox, etc.)
o Planning    Generic parameter/command line interface        (Keith Owens)
o Planning    New mount API                                   (Al Viro)

Cleanups:

Merged
o in 2.5.3    Break Configure.help into multiple files        (Linus Torvalds)
o in 2.5.3    Untangle sched.h & fs.h include dependancies    (Dave Jones, Roman
Zippel)
o in 2.5.4    Per network protocol slabcache & sock.h         (Arnaldo Carvalho de
Melo)
o in 2.5.4    Per filesystem slabcache & fs.h                 (Daniel Phillips,
Jeff Garzik, Al Viro)
o in 2.5.6    Killing kdev_t for block devices                (Al Viro)
o in 2.5.18+  ->getattr() ->setattr() ->permission() changes  (Al Viro)
o in 2.5.21   Split up x86 setup.c into managable pieces      (Patrick Mochel)
o in 2.5.23+  Major MD tool (RAID 5) cleanup                  (Neil Brown)

o Ready       Switch to ->get_super() for file_system_type    (Al Viro)

o Beta        file.h and INIT_TASK                            (Benjamin LaHaise)
o Beta        Proper UFS fixes, ext2 and locking cleanups     (Al Viro)
o Beta        Lifting limitations on mount(2)                 (Al Viro)
o Beta        Remove dcache_lock                              (Maneesh Soni, IBM
team)

o Started     Reorder x86 initialization                      (Dave Jones, Randy
Dunlap)

Have some free time and want to help?  Check out the Kernel Janitor
TO DO list for a list of source code cleanups you can work on.
A great place to start learning more about kernel internals!

* RE: [STATUS 2.5]  July 10, 2002
@ 2002-07-10 17:46 Perches, Joe
From: Perches, Joe @ 2002-07-10 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Alan Cox', thunder
  Cc: bunk, boissiere, linux-kernel, 'Larry Kessler',
	'Martin.Bligh@us.ibm.com'

While I understand the possible value, are printk translations
really important enough to justify?

Do we really need to have the equivalent of:
	printk(tr("Context string %s: %d"),tr("some string"),value);
translate/lookups?  Why?  If so, is this facility supposed to be
run-time or compile-time?

Unfortunately, I missed the RAS BOF at OLS, so I don't know
what was discussed.  Some of these were audio recorded.
Anyone know of the audio repository location?  Can't find any of
the 2001 or 2002 sessions on the symposium website.

From: Russ Weight @ 2002-07-10 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thunder; +Cc: lkml

> > >    - Scalable CPU bitmasks
>
> Seems they got lost.
>
> 							Regards,
> 							Thunder

This patch was most recently submitted against 2.5.20. The patch
introduces two new files, and modifies a single makefile. I believe
it still applies cleanly to the latest version.

I will resubmit the patch soon for the latest kernel version.

- Russ

PS. Please copy me on any replies, as I am not subscribed to the list.

* Re: [STATUS 2.5]  July 10, 2002
@ 2002-07-11 19:21 Richard J Moore
From: Richard J Moore @ 2002-07-11 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thunder from the hill; +Cc: Guillaume Boissiere, linux-kernel

> Nobody seemed to be interested in this toolkit. The (s|l)trace toolkit
and
> kdb seemed to be sufficient for the most developers. (I don't whine here
> either.)

That' ridiculous - there's quite a lot of interest in having a
comprehensive system trace capability. The OLS RAS BoF confirmed that. This
sort of capability is essential for system serviceability. Talk to any
Service Engneer who has to deal with real-word non-recreatable problems,
which are nevertheless of enormous impact to a customer.

I would accept that LTT doesn't yet have all the desired features, but
those are one the way and this demonstates a definite interest in LTT.
Also, LTT is currently or about to be distributed in the Monta Vista's
carrier grade offering, Lineo and TurboLinux's enterprise server offering.
There's also a strong possibility that it will end up in United  Linux 1.0
-  no interest? I don't think so.

Richard J Moore  RAS Project Lead - IBM Linux Technology Centre

* Re: [STATUS 2.5]  July 10, 2002
@ 2002-07-11 20:34 Richard J Moore
From: Richard J Moore @ 2002-07-11 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thunder from the hill
  Cc: Guillaume Boissiere, linux-kernel, Larry_Kessler/Beaverton/IBM%IBMGB

>> Are there any reasons why these don't make it into 2.5?
>>
>> >    - Better event logging for enterprise systems
>
> Linus was scared we could break old syslog parsers.

This is a surprising view given that what we currently have is broken.
Logging serves two purposes:
problem determination - via a human interface
system's management - via automation
It's the latter we need to be able to do reliably and can't because
currently:

   message uniqueness is not guaranteed
   message content is not complete for automation purposes
   some of the most serious error message have the least useful content
   many messages are issued using multiple printks and on an MP system can
   have their text interleaved
   there's no national language support
   embedded systems are not well catered for
   message recognition and parsing is haphazard

EVL is not seeking to do a wholesale replacement of printk. But does
provide the necessary infrastructure to achieve automation. Instrumentation
and re-instrumentation is an independent activity. It can be done in
incremental steps. But until we have a useful log management system service
we can't even begin to address the needs of system automation and systems'
management.

Again the OLS RAS BoF discussions were very focused on this issue and
supportive of it.  Instrumentation was the key subject of discussion - how
to do it with no administrative overhead, how to do it in a way that
developers would find acceptable, how to satisfy the needs for NLS and
embedded systems.

Richard J Moore IBM Linux Technology Centre