* [BK FBDEV updates]
@ 2003-01-08 19:19 ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-01-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Linus, please do a

	bk pull http://fbdev.bkbits.net:8080/fbdev-2.5

This will update the following files:

 include/video/font.h            |   24
 arch/m68k/kernel/m68k_defs.c    |    2
 drivers/video/Kconfig           |    2
 drivers/video/Makefile          |    3
 drivers/video/aty/atyfb_base.c  |    4
 drivers/video/console/Kconfig   |   14
 drivers/video/console/fbcon.c   |   90 +-
 drivers/video/console/sticon.c  |  101 +-
 drivers/video/console/sticore.c |  159 ++--
 drivers/video/fbmem.c           |   13
 drivers/video/fbmon.c           |  369 ++++++++++
 drivers/video/i810/i810.h       |    2
 drivers/video/i810/i810_accel.c |   11
 drivers/video/i810/i810_dvt.c   |    2
 drivers/video/i810/i810_main.c  |   51 -
 drivers/video/i810/i810_main.h  |   79 --
 drivers/video/riva/Makefile     |    2
 drivers/video/riva/fbdev.c      | 1468 +++++++++++++++++++---------------------
 drivers/video/riva/nv_driver.c  |  212 +++++
 drivers/video/riva/riva_hw.c    |  350 +++++++--
 drivers/video/riva/rivafb.h     |   15
 drivers/video/sstfb.c           |  711 +++++++++----------
 drivers/video/sstfb.h           |   31
 drivers/video/sticore.h         |   58 -
 drivers/video/stifb.c           |  103 ++
 include/linux/fb.h              |    4
 include/linux/font.h            |   30

through these ChangeSets:

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/08 1.887)
   [MONITOR support] GTF support for VESA complaint monitors. Here we calculate the general timings needed so we don't over step the bounds for a monitor.

   [fbmem.c cleanup] Name change to make teh code easier to read.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/07 1.879.2.95)
   Updates from Helge Deller for the console/fbdev drivers for the PARISC platform. Small fix for clearing the screen and a string typo for the Voodoo 1/2 driver.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/06 1.879.2.93)
   [RIVA FBDEV] Driver now uses its own fb_open and fb_release function again. It has no ill effects. The drivers uses strickly hardware acceleration so we don't need cfb_fillrect and cfb_copyarea.
   Cleaned up font.h. Geerts orignal pacth broke them up into a font.h in video and one in  linux. Now I put them back together again in include/linux. The m68k platform has been updated for this change.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/06 1.879.2.92)
   Added resize support for the framebuffer console. Now you can change the console size via stty. Also support for color palette changing on VC switch is supported.

<jsimmons@maxwell.earthlink.net> (03/01/06 1.879.2.91)
   I810 fbdev updates. Cursor fix for ati mach 64 cards on big endian machines. Buffer over flow fix for fbcon putcs function. C99 initializers for the STI console drivers.Voodoo 1/2 and NVIDIA driver updates.

The diff is located at

http://phoenix.infradead.org/~jsimmons/fbdev.diff.gz

From: James Simmons @ 2003-01-08 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

* 2.5 fbdev & driver initial mode
  (?)
@ 2003-01-08 21:52 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-01-08 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: Linux Fbdev development list

Hi James !

How is a driver supposed to set the default mode on init lately ?

Looking at rivafb, it fills info->var from fb_find_mode with the mode
option if any, but then does nothing with it (and does nothing if
no mode option is passed).

On radeonfb, I fill a var  with the default mode obtained
from EDID or the option if any. Then, I basically do

	info->var = var;
	var.activate = FB_ACTIVATE_NOW;
	fb_set_var(&var, info);

before calling register_framebuffer.

What is the right way to do ?

Ben.

http://www.vasoftware.com

* Re: 2.5 fbdev & driver initial mode
@ 2003-01-09  0:32   ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-01-09  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt; +Cc: Linux Fbdev development list

> How is a driver supposed to set the default mode on init lately ?
>
> Looking at rivafb, it fills info->var from fb_find_mode with the mode
> option if any, but then does nothing with it (and does nothing if
> no mode option is passed).
>
> On radeonfb, I fill a var  with the default mode obtained
> from EDID or the option if any. Then, I basically do
>
> 	info->var = var;
> 	var.activate = FB_ACTIVATE_NOW;
> 	fb_set_var(&var, info);
>
> before calling register_framebuffer.
>
> What is the right way to do ?

Sorry about the confusion. The answer depends on the driver. For the
rivafb driver because it has a VGA core we have it NOT switch to a
graphics state. The reason is

1) If we run a /dev/fb app was can save the hardware text mode state and
    restore it on closing /dev/fb. You can see this in rivafb_open and
   rivafb_release.

2) We can test loading it as a module as see debugging info while still
   having a VGA text mode. Makes life a little easier. The other thing
   I like to do is run mdacon and just the fbdev driver by itself. I can
   then test the fbdev driver. When I get really brave I test fbcon.c and
   can debug it.

Now for graphics hardware built in that has no hardware text mode. It is
better to set the video mode right away.

http://www.vasoftware.com

* Re: Re: 2.5 fbdev & driver initial mode
@ 2003-01-09  9:30     ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2003-01-09  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: Benjamin Herrenschmidt, Linux Fbdev development list

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, James Simmons wrote:
> > How is a driver supposed to set the default mode on init lately ?
> >
> > Looking at rivafb, it fills info->var from fb_find_mode with the mode
> > option if any, but then does nothing with it (and does nothing if
> > no mode option is passed).
> >
> > On radeonfb, I fill a var  with the default mode obtained
> > from EDID or the option if any. Then, I basically do
> >
> > 	info->var = var;
> > 	var.activate = FB_ACTIVATE_NOW;
> > 	fb_set_var(&var, info);
> >
> > before calling register_framebuffer.
> >
> > What is the right way to do ?
>
> Sorry about the confusion. The answer depends on the driver. For the
> rivafb driver because it has a VGA core we have it NOT switch to a
> graphics state. The reason is
>

> 1) If we run a /dev/fb app was can save the hardware text mode state and
>     restore it on closing /dev/fb. You can see this in rivafb_open and
>    rivafb_release.
>
> 2) We can test loading it as a module as see debugging info while still
>    having a VGA text mode. Makes life a little easier. The other thing
>    I like to do is run mdacon and just the fbdev driver by itself. I can
>    then test the fbdev driver. When I get really brave I test fbcon.c and
>    can debug it.
>
> Now for graphics hardware built in that has no hardware text mode. It is
> better to set the video mode right away.

Note: on some platforms graphics chips with VGA cores are _not_ initialized to
VGA mode by the firmware. So great care should be taken when not explicitly
switching to graphics mode on those platforms.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds

@ 2003-01-09 10:39       ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-01-09 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geert Uytterhoeven

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 10:30, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Note: on some platforms graphics chips with VGA cores are _not_ initialized to
> VGA mode by the firmware. So great care should be taken when not explicitly
> switching to graphics mode on those platforms.

Yup. This is typically the case of PowerMacs where the VGA memory isn't
even reachable on the PCI/AGP bus.

Ben.

http://www.vasoftware.com

* Re: [Linux-fbdev-devel] Re: 2.5 fbdev & driver initial mode
@ 2003-01-09 20:34           ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-01-09 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
  Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven, Geert Uytterhoeven,
	Linux Frame Buffer Device Development, Linux Kernel Mailing List

> > Note: on some platforms graphics chips with VGA cores are _not_ initialized to
> > VGA mode by the firmware. So great care should be taken when not explicitly
> > switching to graphics mode on those platforms.
>
> Yup. This is typically the case of PowerMacs where the VGA memory isn't
> even reachable on the PCI/AGP bus.

Here are the case we will have.

1) Embedded devices. People here have a tendency to want to use serial
   console and just want fbdev without fbcon. Fbcon set the graphics state
   in fbcon_startup. Now the developers want to know if the hardware
   actually worked. So they can call fb_set_var and fb_show_logo
   themselves in there drivers. They want to fully bring up the hardware.

2) Now say the above want to use fbcon. Then they don't need to set the
   graphics state in there driver. Fbcon will do it for them.

3) The graphics card has some kind of default text mode state. For the
   case  where we want to use /dev/fb without fbcon and the text mode then
   we don't want to change the graphics state in the intialization code.
   It is done in the first open and the last close.

From: James Simmons @ 2003-01-09 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
  Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven, Geert Uytterhoeven,