* Re: Samsung X10 XTC 1300
       [not found] ` <200305031848.04583.nbellm-Mmb7MZpHnFY@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-05-03 16:23   ` Alan Cox
       [not found]     ` <1051979022.24562.24.camel-2MMpYkNvuYAXoXS6vNje7nviChZXdy279dF7HbQ/qKg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-05-03 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nbellm-Mmb7MZpHnFY; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Sad, 2003-05-03 at 17:48, Nicolas Bellm wrote:
> Hello!
> I have a Samsung X10 XTC 1300 with Intel Centrino. I downloaded the
> kernel-2.4.20 and patched it with 2.4.21-rc1 and the ACPI patch. I compiled
> and loaded all modules for ACPI. But I can't get it in the sleep-mode. I
> tried 'echo 1 > /etc/acpi/sleep', I tried echo 2, 3, 4, 5 ... and echo P1-P5,
> but it doesn't work. It doesnt react, when I press the powerbutton. I can't
> change the processor speed, I can't read the battery loading. Nothing works.

Most people using Centrino seem to be reporting similar things. You
might want to swap it for a more Linux friendly laptop if you really
need ACPI stuff or working wireless

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Samsung X10 XTC 1300
@ 2003-05-03 16:48 Nicolas Bellm
       [not found] ` <200305031848.04583.nbellm-Mmb7MZpHnFY@public.gmane.org>
From: Nicolas Bellm @ 2003-05-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Hello!
I have a Samsung X10 XTC 1300 with Intel Centrino. I downloaded the
kernel-2.4.20 and patched it with 2.4.21-rc1 and the ACPI patch. I compiled
and loaded all modules for ACPI. But I can't get it in the sleep-mode. I
tried 'echo 1 > /etc/acpi/sleep', I tried echo 2, 3, 4, 5 ... and echo P1-P5,
but it doesn't work. It doesnt react, when I press the powerbutton. I can't
change the processor speed, I can't read the battery loading. Nothing works.

Nicolas

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: Samsung X10 XTC 1300
       [not found]     ` <1051979022.24562.24.camel-2MMpYkNvuYAXoXS6vNje7nviChZXdy279dF7HbQ/qKg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-05-03 17:07       ` Owen Cliffe
From: Owen Cliffe @ 2003-05-03 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f; +Cc: nbellm-Mmb7MZpHnFY

On Sat, 2003-05-03 at 17:23, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Sad, 2003-05-03 at 17:48, Nicolas Bellm wrote:
> > Hello!
> > I have a Samsung X10 XTC 1300 with Intel Centrino. I downloaded the
> > kernel-2.4.20 and patched it with 2.4.21-rc1 and the ACPI patch. I compiled
> > and loaded all modules for ACPI. But I can't get it in the sleep-mode. I
> > tried 'echo 1 > /etc/acpi/sleep', I tried echo 2, 3, 4, 5 ... and echo P1-P5,
> > but it doesn't work. It doesnt react, when I press the powerbutton. I can't
> > change the processor speed, I can't read the battery loading. Nothing works.
>
> Most people using Centrino seem to be reporting similar things. You
> might want to swap it for a more Linux friendly laptop if you really
> need ACPI stuff or working wireless

indeed <sigh> i have had CPU scaling working with CPUFreq on my dell
D600 (Dell is rapidly becoming the Ikea of computer vendors :) but the
same problems with ACPI sleep. (S1 works, S3 doesn't, although S5 does)

when ACPI does work then when bus modules are loading i get a lot of:

dsobject-0189: *** Warning: Buffer created with zero length in AML

this is using the ACPI4Linux patches against 2.4.20 and  2.4.21-rc1

ACPI didn't load at all in 2.4.21-rc1-ac2 though (i don't have the exact
message to hand, but something about signatures being incorrect maybe)

i have settled on a reasonable compromise of using swsusp with ACPI on
2.4.20 (using a patch from http://alor.antifork.org/acpi-swsusp/) which
is acceptable and works (i think you need at least S5 to work for swsusp
to turn the machine off)

/proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/performance reports the requisite number of P
states but the associated CPU speed for all of them is 0Mhz

also weirdly i can change the P state from P0 but only to P5 or P6 and
then i can't change it back again (although this doesn't seem to have a
great deal of effect)

throttling  changing works (i.e. the T state changes) but i'm not
entirely convinced it is actually doing anything.

owen

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: Intel Centrino and Linux
       [not found]     ` <1051979022.24562.24.camel-2MMpYkNvuYAXoXS6vNje7nviChZXdy279dF7HbQ/qKg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-05-07  5:27       ` Jan Rychter
       [not found]         ` <m21xzb9vig.fsf_-_-dTJq59+VGzkkCw8IV3R6h0EOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
From: Jan Rychter @ 2003-05-07  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

 Alan> On Sad, 2003-05-03 at 17:48, Nicolas Bellm wrote:
 >> Hello!  I have a Samsung X10 XTC 1300 with Intel Centrino. I
 >> downloaded the kernel-2.4.20 and patched it with 2.4.21-rc1 and the
 >> ACPI patch. I compiled and loaded all modules for ACPI. But I can't
 >> get it in the sleep-mode. I tried 'echo 1 > /etc/acpi/sleep', I
 >> tried echo 2, 3, 4, 5 ... and echo P1-P5, but it doesn't work. It
 >> doesnt react, when I press the powerbutton. I can't change the
 >> processor speed, I can't read the battery loading. Nothing works.

 Alan> Most people using Centrino seem to be reporting similar
 Alan> things. You might want to swap it for a more Linux friendly
 Alan> laptop if you really need ACPI stuff or working wireless

I'm facing this kind of decision (buying a new laptop soon, possibly the
Toshiba DynaBook SS S7/290LNKW) -- so, does the above mean that Intel
Centrino is not Linux friendly?

Andy, Bob, could you please comment on this?

I've already ruled out all Compaq notebooks thanks to the multiple
problem reports seen on this list (hi HP/Compaq! congratulations on the
market strategy), but I had thought all Centrino-based notebooks would
be among the better supported ones?

--J.

www.enterpriselinuxforum.com

* Re: Re: Intel Centrino and Linux
       [not found]         ` <m21xzb9vig.fsf_-_-dTJq59+VGzkkCw8IV3R6h0EOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
@ 2003-05-07  6:46           ` Karol Kozimor
From: Karol Kozimor @ 2003-05-07  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Rychter; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Thus wrote Jan Rychter:
> I'm facing this kind of decision (buying a new laptop soon, possibly the
> Toshiba DynaBook SS S7/290LNKW) -- so, does the above mean that Intel
> Centrino is not Linux friendly?
>
> Andy, Bob, could you please comment on this?

More specifically, if I can add my $0.02 here, are these problems due to
the general lack of support for the platform, or just mediocre DSDTs?
Best regards,

--
Karol 'sziwan' Kozimor
sziwan-DETuoxkZsSqrDJvtcaxF/A@public.gmane.org

@ 2003-05-07 11:54         ` Derek Broughton
       [not found]           ` <01f301c3148f$63f16870$3746028e-dP0OE4Ef7fWw5LPnMra/2Q@public.gmane.org>
From: Derek Broughton @ 2003-05-07 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

From: "Jan Rychter" <jan-JAsPCFd0eodBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>

> I've already ruled out all Compaq notebooks thanks to the multiple
> problem reports seen on this list (hi HP/Compaq! congratulations on the
> market strategy),

I think that's awfully short-sighted.  Compaqs appear, from my reading of this
list, to be some of the better supported laptops.  Sure there are lots of
niggling little problems, but most of them can be fixed - thanks to the support
available here from both users and HP.  Now, if Dell would only provide some
support....

@ 2003-05-07 12:02           ` Alan Cox
       [not found]             ` <1052308970.3061.4.camel-2MMpYkNvuYAXoXS6vNje7nviChZXdy279dF7HbQ/qKg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alan Cox @ 2003-05-07 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Rychter; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Mer, 2003-05-07 at 06:27, Jan Rychter wrote:
> I'm facing this kind of decision (buying a new laptop soon, possibly the
> Toshiba DynaBook SS S7/290LNKW) -- so, does the above mean that Intel
> Centrino is not Linux friendly?

Currently yes. On some of them the APM works well enough to suspend and
do battery reporting but not to do CPU speed control stuff (at least not
from battery life measurement).

> I've already ruled out all Compaq notebooks thanks to the multiple
> problem reports seen on this list (hi HP/Compaq!

The newer Compaq ACPI seems to work well (eg the z9xx series laptops).
They do need an ACPI kernel and have some other quirks which needed
Linux fixing (and which showed up Linux bugs too)

@ 2003-05-08  6:33               ` Alexander Hoogerhuis
From: Alexander Hoogerhuis @ 2003-05-08  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Cox; +Cc: Jan Rychter, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

@ 2003-05-08 19:46             ` Jan Rychter
       [not found]               ` <m2bryd8bnc.fsf-dTJq59+VGzkkCw8IV3R6h0EOCMrvLtNR@public.gmane.org>
From: Jan Rychter @ 2003-05-08 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

 Derek> From: "Jan Rychter" <jan-JAsPCFd0eodBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
 >> I've already ruled out all Compaq notebooks thanks to the multiple
 >> problem reports seen on this list (hi HP/Compaq! congratulations on
 >> the market strategy),

 Derek> I think that's awfully short-sighted.  Compaqs appear, from my
 Derek> reading of this list, to be some of the better supported
 Derek> laptops.  Sure there are lots of niggling little problems, but
 Derek> most of them can be fixed - thanks to the support available here
 Derek> from both users and HP.  Now, if Dell would only provide some
 Derek> support....

Is it? From what I see, people have to fix and patch their DSDTs in
order to get their notebooks working. I didn't have to do that with my
Sharp and I'm not looking forward to the experience. I would like to buy
a notebook that I can boot Linux on without going through the hassle of
ironing out the details.

But I guess everyone's taste is different. The level of "acceptable
annoyance" is also different for each one of us.

But I didn't see any comments from Andy or Bob in this thread -- about
Linux and Centrino, which is what this thread is really about?

@ 2003-05-09 14:32                 ` Ducrot Bruno
From: Ducrot Bruno @ 2003-05-09 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Rychter; +Cc: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:46:15PM -0700, Jan Rychter wrote:
>  Derek> From: "Jan Rychter" <jan-JAsPCFd0eodBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
>  >> I've already ruled out all Compaq notebooks thanks to the multiple
>  >> problem reports seen on this list (hi HP/Compaq! congratulations on
>  >> the market strategy),
>
>  Derek> I think that's awfully short-sighted.  Compaqs appear, from my
>  Derek> reading of this list, to be some of the better supported
>  Derek> laptops.  Sure there are lots of niggling little problems, but
>  Derek> most of them can be fixed - thanks to the support available here
>  Derek> from both users and HP.  Now, if Dell would only provide some
>  Derek> support....
>
> Is it? From what I see, people have to fix and patch their DSDTs in
> order to get their notebooks working. I didn't have to do that with my
> Sharp and I'm not looking forward to the experience. I would like to buy
> a notebook that I can boot Linux on without going through the hassle of
> ironing out the details.
>
> But I guess everyone's taste is different. The level of "acceptable
> annoyance" is also different for each one of us.
>
> But I didn't see any comments from Andy or Bob in this thread -- about
> Linux and Centrino, which is what this thread is really about?

Andy have already answered this in the cpufreq mailing list (at least
for CPU frequency stuff).  Basically, a binary only driver for the
enhanced speedstep stuff is already available (look at intel site.
Don't rememeber exactly the URL), but documentation about this
technology will be done (well... I hope it will done).

Cheers,

--
Ducrot Bruno

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.

www.enterpriselinuxforum.com