* Re: RE: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-10 17:50 frankgaetano
From: frankgaetano @ 2003-06-10 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MarkKnecht, frankgaetano; +Cc: Alsa-Devel

I recompiled a new kernel 2.4.19 with the latency patch and preemptive
kernel patch. I still got the same unresolved symbol, so I loaded the
modules that it was giving errors for individually. Like this:

 /sbin/modprobe snd-rawmidi
/sbin/modprobe snd-hammerfall-mem
/sbin/modprobe snd-hwdep
/sbin/modprobe snd-hdsp

 After I issue the last command I get the following errors:

/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o: init_module:
No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

I know that I have the latest firmware. However, I am using the
lastest version of ALSA 0.9.4 from the ftp site. I also tried the
lastest CVS and I get the same error. When I check the hdsp.c it has
the code for my firmware version 0x0b.

What is the status of this driver on the newest firmware? I am sorry
if I am asking questions that have already been answered.

I am okay with C programming if you need more help. The main thing is
I don't understand the status of the driver with the newest firmware
and what do I use the hdsploader for, or how. The documentation I have
found for the setup of this card doesn't mention this program.

Someone please help or direct me were I can get it.

Thanks,
Frank

Mark Knecht <mknecht@controlnet.com> wrote:

>Hi Frank,
>
> I'm an HDSP 9652 non-user for many of the same reasons. A couple of
>
>comments below.
>
>Mark
>

>> Hello,
>
>> I recently purchased a Hammerfall DSP system to use on Windows and
>
>> especially LINUX for use on Ardour. I have the multiface system. I
>
>> must say I am confused on the support of the newest version of this
>
>> pci card (I know that I have firmware version 11). I downloaded the
>
>> current CVS on alsa-dev and compiled it fine. However when I run
>
>> modprobe I get the following error:
>

>> /sbin/modprobe snd-hdsp
>
>> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o:
>
>> init_module: No such device
>

>[MWK] This is sometimes caused by a mismatch between between the
firmware

>revision in your card/box and those firmware revisions that the
driver knows

>about. Run lspci to see what your card has, and read through the
driver code

>to see what the driver knows about.
>

>NOTE TO DEVELOPERS - Can't you make this message "init_module: No
such

>device" more descriptive, such as "init_module: Checked for devices
with PCI

>Device ID's XXX, firmware revisions AA, BB, CC, DD & EE - No devices
found"?

>Many people, including me, don't know how to read source code and
can't give

>you as much direct information. Just a thought.
>

>> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
>
>> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
>
>> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o: insmod
>
>> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o failed
>
>> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o: insmod
>
>> snd-hdsp failed
>

>> Then when I just offer the command insmod snd-hdsp I get the
>
>> following:
>

>> /sbin/insmod snd-hdsp
>
>> Using /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o
>
>> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o:
unresolved

>> symbol snd_hammerfall_get_buffer_R5bab1fdf
>
>> /lib/modules/2.4.18-3/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o:
unresolved

>> symbol snd_rawmidi_receive_R1e37534c
>

>[MWK] I have seen these sorts of errors when:
>

>1) The kernel source code that the driver was compiled against is not
the

>same as the kernel that's running. For instanace, you have a standard
>
>distribution kernel and a custom kernel from kernel.org. If you are
running

>the standard kernel, but the Alsa driver was compiled with
/usr/src/linux

>pointing at the custom kernel, then problems ensue.
>

>2) The C compiler used to compile Alsa does not match the compiler
used to

>compile the kernel.
>

><SNIP>
>

>> When I run hdsploader it completes but says nothing like this:
>

>> hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
>
>> Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
>

>[MWK] Again, this strikes me that Alsa does not understand your
firmware

>revision since it isn't even finding a card.
>

>Good luck!!

Looking for a roommate? Let CollegeClub.com help you out!
<http://navisite.collegeclub.com/channels/college/>

CollegeClub.com makes college life even better.

* RE: RE: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-10 18:06 ` Mark Knecht
From: Mark Knecht @ 2003-06-10 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frankgaetano; +Cc: Alsa-Devel

>  /sbin/modprobe snd-rawmidi
> /sbin/modprobe snd-hammerfall-mem
> /sbin/modprobe snd-hwdep
> /sbin/modprobe snd-hdsp
>
>  After I issue the last command I get the following errors:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/sound/pci/rme9652/snd-hdsp.o: init_module:
> No such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

I am having the very same problems with my HDSP 9652. What's even stranger
is, in my case, that for one evening the card worked, at least as far as
/proc/asound/card0 (or whatever the directory/device was at the time...) and
see sensible stuff. I even took some screen shots and sent email to another
individual as I was debugging why I had no sound.

Later that evening I powered down. Upon rebooting the next morning it
failed, and has failed ever since. That was last Thursday evening.

I too am using 0.9.4 as provided in the Gentoo emerge, along with a custom
compiled kernel.

Like you I think the HDSP driver understands my firmware revision. I have
also downgraded and upgraded my firmware without success.

This whole Alsa/HDSP thing is amazingly weird...

- Mark

* Re: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-10 18:33   ` Paul Davis
From: Paul Davis @ 2003-06-10 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Knecht; +Cc: frankgaetano, Alsa-Devel

>I am having the very same problems with my HDSP 9652. What's even stranger
>is, in my case, that for one evening the card worked, at least as far as
>/proc/asound/card0 (or whatever the directory/device was at the time...) and
>see sensible stuff. I even took some screen shots and sent email to another
>individual as I was debugging why I had no sound.
>
>Later that evening I powered down. Upon rebooting the next morning it
>failed, and has failed ever since. That was last Thursday evening.

the same thing happened to me a week ago. i have, as usual, not had
time to investigate further.

>I too am using 0.9.4 as provided in the Gentoo emerge, along with a custom
>compiled kernel.
>
>Like you I think the HDSP driver understands my firmware revision. I have
>also downgraded and upgraded my firmware without success.
>
>This whole Alsa/HDSP thing is amazingly weird...

at the moment, i regret that we made the move to user-space loading of
the "firmware" when we did. i think now that it was a mistake to do it
at that time. it has caused a fundamental change in the way the driver
sets up, but it came at a time when we weren't confident that setup
was working for various cases.

* Re: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-12  5:13     ` Jesse Chappell
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Jesse Chappell @ 2003-06-12  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Davis; +Cc: D R Holsbeck, Alsa-Devel

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Like you I think the HDSP driver understands my firmware revision. I have
> >also downgraded and upgraded my firmware without success.
> >
> >This whole Alsa/HDSP thing is amazingly weird...
>
> at the moment, i regret that we made the move to user-space loading of
> the "firmware" when we did. i think now that it was a mistake to do it
> at that time. it has caused a fundamental change in the way the driver
> sets up, but it came at a time when we weren't confident that setup
> was working for various cases.

I have now joined the ranks of troubleshooting HDSP owner.  I
have a cardbus HDSP (rev 0b) with a Multiface.  IBM Thinkpad A31.
Kernel 2.4.20 LL+preemp with cardbus support in kernel.
Multiface connected and powered via AC adaptor.
I've been trying alsa-driver-0.9.4, and I detail my setup and
problems below:

snd-hammerfall-mem  loads normally

snd-hdsp            first stage loads fine (dmesg output snip):
  PCI: Setting latency timer of device 06:00.0 to 64
  ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:4110: card initialization pending : waiting for firmware

------------------
# hdsploader
hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0x31000000, irq 9
Upload firmware for card hw:0
Hwdep ioctl error on card hw:0 : Input/output error.
------------------------

dmesg snippet while hdsploader ran with extra debugging added by
me:
 ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:644: wait for FIFO status <= 0 failed after 30 iterations
 ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:3804: initializing firmware upload
 ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:522: loading firmware
 the code in snd_hdsp_create_alsa_devices() is executed here,
successfully up until snd_hdsp_set_defaults() is called.  In that
function, the loop where the gains for the matrix mixer are
silenced executes hdsp_write_gain 128 times, and on the next
iteration the following message is thrown:
 ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:644:
    wait for FIFO status <= 127 failed after 5000 iterations
causing the function to return -EIO hence the ioctl error passed
back to hdsploader.

Any attempts to run hdsploader again result in more errors
involving FIFO timeouts, getting worse until the following
message is thrown every time:
 ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:3804: initializing firmware upload
 ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:508: Hammerfall-DSP: no  Digiface or Multiface connected!

Unloading the modules, and ejecting and reinserting the card
doesn't help matters, nor does a warm reboot.  I do not have
windows on the laptop (yet) so I have not attempted to get it
working there (to load the multiface firmware, then warm boot) or
to downgrade the hdsp firmware to 0a.  Ideally, I can help to
debug the primary problems with recent HDSP and recent ALSA.... I
don't *need* to use the hardware right away (but I would like
to :)

If there is any offlist discussion about the HDSP debugging,
please include me in those messages.

D R Holsbeck, what version of ALSA, and what HDSP firmware
are you successfully using on your A31?  I know you have the
Digiface though... I have the multiface.

Paul, any info you have on the initialization steps or iobox
identification would be useful.  The code in
hdsp_get_iobox_version() seems a bit odd to me.  I always get
the:  ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:644:
     wait for FIFO status <= 0 failed after 30 iterations
 in the primary conditional where it picks multiface or digiface.
I suppose that is intentional, but I wonder if that technique
masks some other problem, even though I do have a multiface.  How
does that sequence work?

I want to get this crap working so I can test ardour better
:)

jlc

* Re: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-12  8:29       ` Jesse Chappell
       [not found]       ` <1055414777.1404.6.camel@tpdrh.niptron.com>
From: Jesse Chappell @ 2003-06-12  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Davis; +Cc: Alsa-Devel, Mark Knecht

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> doesn't help matters, nor does a warm reboot.  I do not have
> windows on the laptop (yet) so I have not attempted to get it
> working there (to load the multiface firmware, then warm boot) or
> to downgrade the hdsp firmware to 0a.  Ideally, I can help to
> debug the primary problems with recent HDSP and recent ALSA.... I
> don't *need* to use the hardware right away (but I would like
> to :)

Woohoo!

Well, there is no time like the present.  I installed windows XP
and the RME drivers.  No problems there, HDSP works in windows,
red light gone.  Warm reboot into Linux, everything loads and
works like a champ!  I think that this solution was mentioned by
someone not too long ago on the list archives.

I am still interested in solving the problem so that the
firmware loading to the multiface/digiface all works within
linux.  I will try my hand at fixes if folks have any ideas.

jlc

* Re: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-12 11:28       ` Jaakko Prättälä
       [not found]       ` <1055414777.1404.6.camel@tpdrh.niptron.com>
From: Jaakko Prättälä @ 2003-06-12 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Chappell, Paul Davis; +Cc: D R Holsbeck, Alsa-Devel

On Thursday 12 June 2003 08:13, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> Hwdep ioctl error on card hw:0 : Input/output error.
[...]
>  ALSA ../../alsa-kernel/pci/rme9652/hdsp.c:644:
>     wait for FIFO status <= 127 failed after 5000 iterations
> causing the function to return -EIO hence the ioctl error passed
> back to hdsploader.

This is exactly what I'm seeing on my hp xe4100
(with multiface+cardbus). Thank you Jesse for your explanation.

> If there is any offlist discussion about the HDSP debugging,
> please include me in those messages.

Yes, please, me too.

--
Jaakko Prättälä
Jaakko.Prattala@Helsinki.FI

@ 2003-06-22 14:57         ` Jesse Chappell
From: Jesse Chappell @ 2003-06-22 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: D R Holsbeck; +Cc: Paul Davis, Alsa-Devel

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, D R Holsbeck wrote:

> The newer Alsa code (with the new HDSP firmware code), has some new
> device nodes, that dont get handled correctly if you are using the
> devfs. I havent worked it all out yet, but running the snddevices script
> will create them. Here is my list of my /dev/snd directory
>
> Do you have all the device nodes setup? Especially the hwC*D* nodes? I
> had problems running the hdsploader at first, because these nodes are
> not being handled by the devfsd correctly.

No luck, running snddevices created the extra hw nodes but I got
the same behavior when running hdsploader.  The only node I had
before running the script was hwC1D0.

jlc

* Re: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-22 19:36           ` Mark Knecht
From: Mark Knecht @ 2003-06-22 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesse Chappell; +Cc: Alsa-Devel

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 07:57, Jesse Chappell wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, D R Holsbeck wrote:
>
> > The newer Alsa code (with the new HDSP firmware code), has some new
> > device nodes, that dont get handled correctly if you are using the
> > devfs. I havent worked it all out yet, but running the snddevices script
> > will create them. Here is my list of my /dev/snd directory
> >
> > Do you have all the device nodes setup? Especially the hwC*D* nodes? I
> > had problems running the hdsploader at first, because these nodes are
> > not being handled by the devfsd correctly.
>
> No luck, running snddevices created the extra hw nodes but I got
> the same behavior when running hdsploader.  The only node I had
> before running the script was hwC1D0.

Are any of you DSP users having any luck with the MIDI interface? I'm
finding it still drops lots of notes, which has so far stimied any
possibilities of my doing soft synths using Linux.

Thanks,
Mark

* RE: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-11 14:15     ` Mark Knecht
From: Mark Knecht @ 2003-06-11 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua N Pritikin; +Cc: Paul Davis, frankgaetano, Alsa-Devel

> > so I think
> > I'm almost set to be able to try this stuff out again.
>
> For what it's worth, i had problems with alsa 0.9.4 & SMP.  i think
> there are some spinlock changes that aren't very well debugged yet.
> On the other hand, alsa 0.9rc7 seems fairly stable.  i've gotten
> some lockups, but i've also used jack for 4-5 hours without any
> problem.

Well, I found last night that if I removed Alsa and then rebuilt it, that as
long as I didn't power down 0.9.4-rc1 stayed up and I could see my card even
after a warm boot, but again, after a cold boot Alsa no longer recognized
the card.

So, my new strategy is that every morning, as I brew my tea, I now do:

emerge -C alsa-driver alsa-utils alsa-tools
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge alsa-driver alsa-utils alsa-tools

and then warm boot to get the driver to find the card. I still don't get
sound, but at least my CPU knows the card is there.

I guess life is good when you finally know how to cope with it! ;-)

Mark

* Re: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-11  6:45   ` Joshua N Pritikin
From: Joshua N Pritikin @ 2003-06-11  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Knecht; +Cc: Paul Davis, frankgaetano, Alsa-Devel

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 01:02:57PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> I'm sure that it will get worked out. I think Joshua is currently having
> some good successes with the HDSP 9652,

Yes, it works.

> and I'm currently learning how to
> modify a Gentoo ebuild to accomplish doing a patch. I also have (after more
> pain than I wish to recount) Windows on this Gentoo box in a dual boot
> config, and have the RME firmware tools to upgrade and downgrade, so I think
> I'm almost set to be able to try this stuff out again.

For what it's worth, i had problems with alsa 0.9.4 & SMP.  i think
there are some spinlock changes that aren't very well debugged yet.
On the other hand, alsa 0.9rc7 seems fairly stable.  i've gotten
some lockups, but i've also used jack for 4-5 hours without any
problem.

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org

* RE: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
       [not found] <20030610183131.76A8A3EFBF@vivaldi.controlnet.com>
@ 2003-06-10 20:02 ` Mark Knecht
From: Mark Knecht @ 2003-06-10 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Davis; +Cc: frankgaetano, Alsa-Devel

> >Later that evening I powered down. Upon rebooting the next morning it
> >failed, and has failed ever since. That was last Thursday evening.
>
> the same thing happened to me a week ago. i have, as usual, not had
> time to investigate further.

Well, it is actually quite comforting to know that folks with far more
experience than I sometimes see the same strange behaviors!

> >This whole Alsa/HDSP thing is amazingly weird...
>
> at the moment, i regret that we made the move to user-space loading of
> the "firmware" when we did. i think now that it was a mistake to do it
> at that time. it has caused a fundamental change in the way the driver
> sets up, but it came at a time when we weren't confident that setup
> was working for various cases.

I'm sure that it will get worked out. I think Joshua is currently having
some good successes with the HDSP 9652, and I'm currently learning how to
modify a Gentoo ebuild to accomplish doing a patch. I also have (after more
pain than I wish to recount) Windows on this Gentoo box in a dual boot
config, and have the RME firmware tools to upgrade and downgrade, so I think
I'm almost set to be able to try this stuff out again.

I'm sure over the next few weeks and months this will get straightened out.
:-)

Mark

* RE: Hammerfall DSP System Problems
@ 2003-06-06 13:39 ` Mark Knecht
From: Mark Knecht @ 2003-06-06 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frankgaetano; +Cc: Alsa-Devel

@ 2003-06-05 23:56 frankgaetano
From: frankgaetano @ 2003-06-05 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: PaulDavis; +Cc: alsa-devel

Paul,
 Thanks for responding. I am using the current CVS of Alsa version 0.9.4.

Frank

@ 2003-06-05 21:59 ` Paul Davis
From: Paul Davis @ 2003-06-05 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: frankgaetano; +Cc: alsa-devel