* "nfsd Security: //u bad export" is triggered by IRIX clients
@ 2003-07-22 14:40 Marc Schmitt
From: Marc Schmitt @ 2003-07-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nfs

Hi all,

I made a post about this issue on the 7th of July, back then I didn't
know what was causing those error messages on my RedHat 7.3 NFS server
with kernel 2.4.18-27.7.xsmp and nfs-utils 1.0.3.

Today, a user reported a problem he has with his home directory on an
IRIX64 6.5 machine. His home used to be mounted from an SGI server,
since a couple of days, it's been moved to the Linux server. As of then,
the following problem occurs:

# cd /home/user
# pwd
/home/user
# cd work
# pwd
This command will return sometimes a), sometimes b):
a) /work
b) Cannot determine current directory
# echo $PWD
/home/user/work
echo $SHELL
/bin/tcsh (btw, it makes a difference here if I use tcsh or bash, under
bash PWD returns the correct path)

For each 'pwd' issued, where it would return b), I see the error message
"nfsd Security: //u bad export" on the console of the server. The
corresponding export entry on the server is:
/export/home/h1/u/user @user(rw,sync)

The permissions for /export/home/h1/u and /export/home/h1/u/user are
0755, the owner of /export/home/h1/u is root:root, the owner of
/export/home/h1/u/user is user:105.

Any ideas how this issue can be fixed? TIA.

Regards,

    Marc

* Re: "nfsd Security: //u bad export" is triggered by IRIX clients
@ 2003-07-22 15:07 ` Marc Schmitt
From: Marc Schmitt @ 2003-07-22 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: nfs

Great, the current NFS HowTo has the solution:

Irix versions up to 6.5.12 have problems mounting file systems exported
from Linux boxes - the mount point "gets lost," e.g.,

	# mount linux:/disk1 /mnt
	# cd /mnt/xyz/abc
	# pwd
	/xyz/abc

This is known IRIX bug (SGI bug 815265 - IRIX not liking file handles of
less than 32 bytes), which is fixed in IRIX 6.5.13. If it is not
possible to upgrade to IRIX 6.5.13, then the unofficial workaround is to
force the Linux nfsd to always use 32 byte file handles.

A number of patches exist - see:

    http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/789/2001/8/50/6371896/
    http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/mail_archive/0110/msg00006.html

Sorry for the unnecessary initial post.