From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
To: Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk>
Cc: Dave Lawrence <dgl@integrinautics.com>,
Subject: Re: compact flash IDE hot-swap summary please
Date: 23 Jul 2003 23:15:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mer, 2003-07-23 at 22:15, Russell King wrote:
> Ok, I see a couple of problems here.
>
> Firstly, how does ide_cs in 2.6.0-test1 know that ide_unregister has
> failed?  In my copy of 2.6.0-test1, it doesn't return any values.

It does in 2.4. For 2.6 check with Bart - it may be the need has gone
away or that stuff got "cleaned up" that was needed

> Secondly, 2.4.21 seems to fail with value '1' for two cases:
>  - the ide interface wasn't found to be present
>  - the drive is in use
>  - the shutdown fails

Right. We want multiple fail cases. I know this - ditto it needs to
zap the iops

> not going to complete.  Hopefully an in-progress request should time
> out, but we shouldn't try to start a new request.

Once we've flipped the iops it wont matter if we accidentally queue
new requests.

> So, in short, I think that IDE unplug is broken in the core IDE driver
> and needs significant work in _both_ 2.4 and 2.6 before we can think
> about getting PCMCIA-based IDE cards to work sufficiently well.  Yes,
> ide-cs.c may need some work, but ide.c also requires work.

You need a call in it to zap the iops, 3 return codes so you can tell
the difference - anything else ? If not I'll fix those.