* Multi-kernel in grub
@ 2003-07-22 15:15 Travis
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Travis @ 2003-07-22 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

I am a recent convert to RH9 and have been trying to compile a kernel to
allow dual head video support for my matrox g400-tv card.  Here is the
main tutorial I was following:
http://www.intel.com/support/platform/pentium4/linux.htm

I used xconfig , and the compilation process seemed to go fine (no
errors were display when I got the command prompt back) from running the
following.

make dep
make clean
make bzImage
make modules

My problem came at "Next, you have to copy the appropriate files so that
linux can boot from the new kernel."  I copied the vmlinuz image created
by the compilation to /boot/vmlinuz-matrox.  I then edited grub's conf
file by copy-and-pasting my current RH boot section and simply changing
the label and pointing the vmlinuz-matrox as the kernel to load.

When booting I got an error very quickly.  I have been searching for a
grub multi-boot kernel tutorial and have read most of the applicable
grub user-guide, but to no avail.  If someone could point out a good
tutorial or give a few things to try, I would appreciate it.  Thanks in
advance.

-- Travis

-

* /cdrom fails to unmount
@ 2003-07-22 15:19 ` Dan Zlotnikov
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Zlotnikov @ 2003-07-22 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

In Deb.woody, kernel 2.4.18, I have the following problem:

mount /cdrom
"sure," the computer says, "I will."

cd /cdrom

mplayer -fs whateverthehellI'mwatching
"Okay," says the computer.

cd
"No problems," says the beast.

umount /cdrom
umount: /cdrom: device is busy
Or in other words, "*$^! you!"

No processes that I could identify suggested themselves as the visible
culprit. Rebooting works, but killing the x-session doesn't.

Help, anyone?

Dan

-

* Re: Multi-kernel in grub
@ 2003-07-22 15:43 ` Amin
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.43.0307221116460.20338-100000@perpugilliam.cscl ub.uwaterloo.ca>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Amin @ 2003-07-22 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: travis; +Cc: linux-newbie

"Travis" <travis@wsor.net> writes:

> My problem came at "Next, you have to copy the appropriate files so that
> linux can boot from the new kernel."  I copied the vmlinuz image created
> by the compilation to /boot/vmlinuz-matrox.  I then edited grub's conf
> file by copy-and-pasting my current RH boot section and simply changing
> the label and pointing the vmlinuz-matrox as the kernel to load.
>
> When booting I got an error very quickly.  I have been searching for a
> grub multi-boot kernel tutorial and have read most of the applicable
> grub user-guide, but to no avail.  If someone could point out a good
> tutorial or give a few things to try, I would appreciate it.  Thanks in
> advance.

The problem is Red Hat is not satisfied by the files you've
copied, etc. etc.  It's best to let Red Hat's built-in
scripts do this.  After the compilation, do a

# make install

This, according to the Official Red Hat Linux Customization
Guide (p. 257), will copy your new kernel to its proper
place, create an entry for it in the boot loader's menu, and
if necessary, make an initrd image for you (initrd is
necessary if you use ext3 or SCSI devices).

You can get the Guide at www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux.

HTH,
Yawar Amin
-

* Re: /cdrom fails to unmount
@ 2003-07-22 15:44   ` Amin
From: Amin @ 2003-07-22 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dzlotnik; +Cc: linux-newbie

Dan Zlotnikov <dzlotnik@perpugilliam.csclub.uwaterloo.ca> writes:

> umount /cdrom
> umount: /cdrom: device is busy
> Or in other words, "*$^! you!"
>
> No processes that I could identify suggested themselves as the visible
> culprit. Rebooting works, but killing the x-session doesn't.
>
> Help, anyone?
>
> Dan

You could try a lazy unmount:

$ umount -l /cdrom

Cheers,
Yawar Amin
-

* Re: /cdrom fails to unmount
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.43.0307221116460.20338-100000@perpugilliam.cscl ub.uwaterloo.ca>
@ 2003-07-22 15:58   ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-07-22 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

At 11:19 AM 7/22/2003 -0400, Dan Zlotnikov wrote:
>In Deb.woody, kernel 2.4.18, I have the following problem:
>
>mount /cdrom
>"sure," the computer says, "I will."
>
>cd /cdrom
>
>mplayer -fs whateverthehellI'mwatching
>"Okay," says the computer.
>
>cd
>"No problems," says the beast.
>
>umount /cdrom
>umount: /cdrom: device is busy
>Or in other words, "*$^! you!"
>
>No processes that I could identify suggested themselves as the visible
>culprit. Rebooting works, but killing the x-session doesn't.
>
>Help, anyone?

Your fanciful responses from the computer are cute but, in practice,
distracting and even a bit confusing. In particular, when you report ...

>mplayer -fs whateverthehellI'mwatching
>"Okay," says the computer.

... does the "Okay" stand in for the fact that mplayer *begins* playing the
file or *finishes* playing the file?

If the first ... if the file is still playing ... then the last message is
correct, in that mplayer is using the device. (But I'd be surprised to see
this survive killing X.)

If the second ... after finishing playing, does mplayer exit? Or wait for a
command? If it waits, it may well retain access to /cdrom until you tell it
to play something located elsewhere. (But, again, I'd be surprised to see
this survive killing X.)

Bottom line: *something* is using the device, and it is not clear
what.  (One wild guess: does the system make it available via NFS?) In any
case, try running "fuser /cdrom" to get the PIDs of the process(es)
currently accessing the filesystem. Then deal with the accesses however is
appropriate to what you find.

-

* Re: /cdrom fails to unmount
@ 2003-07-22 16:06   ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-07-22 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dzlotnik, Dan Zlotnikov, linux-newbie

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 17:19, Dan Zlotnikov wrote:
> In Deb.woody, kernel 2.4.18, I have the following problem:
>
> mount /cdrom
> "sure," the computer says, "I will."
>
> cd /cdrom
>
> mplayer -fs whateverthehellI'mwatching
> "Okay," says the computer.
>
> cd
> "No problems," says the beast.
>
> umount /cdrom
> umount: /cdrom: device is busy
> Or in other words, "*$^! you!"

No it says' sommat or someone started another program while you were in /cdrom
'fuser' would be a good idea on this one.

fuser /cdrom

may help.

> No processes that I could identify suggested themselves as the visible
> culprit. Rebooting works, but killing the x-session doesn't.

Let fuser decide that.

--
If the Linux community is a bunch of theives because they
try to imitate windows programs, then the Windows community

Regards Richard
pa3gcu@zeelandnet.nl
http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

-

* Re: Multi-kernel in grub
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.43.0307221116460.20338-100000@perpugilliam.cscl ub.uwaterloo.ca>
@ 2003-07-22 16:11 ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-07-22 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: travis, linux-newbie

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 17:15, Travis wrote:

> My problem came at "Next, you have to copy the appropriate files so that
> linux can boot from the new kernel."  I copied the vmlinuz image created
> by the compilation to /boot/vmlinuz-matrox.  I then edited grub's conf
> file by copy-and-pasting my current RH boot section and simply changing
> the label and pointing the vmlinuz-matrox as the kernel to load.
>
> When booting I got an error very quickly.  I have been searching for a
> grub multi-boot kernel tutorial and have read most of the applicable
> grub user-guide, but to no avail.  If someone could point out a good
> tutorial or give a few things to try, I would appreciate it.  Thanks in
> advance.

It would have been a "very" good idea to have mentioned the error you got or
are getting.
The way you word things i get the impression the kernel starts to boot, that
means grub did its work and you forgot some or other important kernel compile
option, just what was the error message.???

BTW; I'm no grub expert, once again i read it to be a kernel compile problem
and not a bootloader problem. I've been wrong before however with the error
we can go from there.

--

@ 2003-07-22 16:28     ` Dan Zlotnikov
From: Dan Zlotnikov @ 2003-07-22 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

> Your fanciful responses from the computer are cute but, in practice,
> distracting and even a bit confusing. In particular, when you report ...

Well, at least they were cute...

> ... does the "Okay" stand in for the fact that mplayer *begins* playing the
> file or *finishes* playing the file?

First of all, thank you for your suggestions and help, everyone. I
got it unmounted (fuser helped).

Second, has anyone ever encountered the following:

ADSL service dies (connection reset).

I proceed to do the following (cdrom is mounted, accord. to fuser no
processes are using it)
alpha:/cdrom# adsl-start
. Connected!

alpha:/cdrom#fuser /cdrom/
/cdrom/:              2176c  2485c  2513c  2515c

The processes are: (incidentally, this is all being done as root)

root      2176  0.0  0.4  2308 1392 pts/2    S    10:42   0:00 bash
root      2485  0.0  0.3  2080 1048 pts/2    S    12:18   0:00 /bin/sh
/usr/sbin/adsl-connect
root      2513  0.0  0.2  1936  912 ?        S    12:18   0:00
/usr/sbin/pppd pty /usr/sbin/pppoe -p /var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe
-I eth0 -T 80 -U  -m 1412    noi
root      2515  0.0  0.1  1212  440 ?        S    12:18   0:00
/usr/sbin/pppoe -p /var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -U -m
1412

For some obscure reason, my running adsl-start from /cdrom has mated the
processes to the directory.

Is that supposed to happen?

Additional info: System is standalone, no NFS or other users present.

Dan

-

* Re: Multi-kernel in grub
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2003-07-22 21:54 ` Travis Osterman
From: Travis Osterman @ 2003-07-22 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newbie list

I tried to compile my kernel again and here are the results.  I'm really
new to this, and thank you for your patience.

# make dep // no errors
# make clean: // no errors
# make bzImage // below

make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci/devlist
.h', needed by `names.o'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_pci] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers'
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

# make modules // below

/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/include/linux/module.h:187: warning: function
declaration isn't a prototype
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/include/linux/module.h:196:
`try_inc_mod_count_R_ver_str' declared as function returning a function
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/include/linux/module.h:196: warning: parameter
names (without types) in function declaration
make[2]: *** [dummy.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/net'
make[1]: *** [_modsubdir_net] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers'
make: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2

# make install // below

make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci/devlist.h', needed by `names.o'.
Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci'
make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci'
make[1]: *** [_subdir_pci] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers'
make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

Thanks again.

-- Travis

--

-

* Re: Multi-kernel in grub
@ 2003-07-23  2:20   ` Ray Olszewski
From: Ray Olszewski @ 2003-07-23  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newbie list

OK. This clears up a lot. Since the "make bzImage" step fails, everything
that follows it is irrelevant to your problem. And *this* is where your
problem occurs, not when trying to cp or mv the file created by "make bzImage".

A basic rule that beginners need to learn: when a step in the process fails
with error messages, going on to the next step is almost always wasted effort.

The next basic rule: believe the error messages. In your case, you get an
error that says:

"make[3]: *** No rule to make target
`/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci/devlist.h', needed by `names.o'.  Stop."

Unfortunately, I do not have a fresh kernel source tree handy to unpack, so
I do not know *for sure* if this file really gets generated by the make
process ... but it does appear to be a generated file from its internal
structure and timestamps here. So I suspect the problem is that you did not
follow carefully enough the steps needed to compile a kernel, and that this
error just happens to be the first place where your omission matters.

As I assume you know, the outline of how to compile a kernel is in the
source tree in /[path-to-source-tree]/README . A quick, compact review of
the steps is:

         make mrproper [not always needed]
         make clean [not always needed]
         make config
           -OR-
         make menuconfig
           -OR-
         make xconfig
         make dep
         make bzImage
         make modules
         make install [or install by hand]
         make modules_install

This sequence is a bit more extended than the one you say you followed, so
first off, follow it and see if it fixes your problem. If not, report back
with the step it first fails on and what the error message looks like (as
you did before).

At 04:54 PM 7/22/2003 -0500, Travis Osterman wrote:
>I tried to compile my kernel again and here are the results.  I'm really
>new to this, and thank you for your patience.
>
># make dep // no errors
># make clean: // no errors
># make bzImage // below
>
>make[3]: *** No rule to make target
>`/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci/devlist
>.h', needed by `names.o'.  Stop.
>make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci'
>make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
>make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers/pci'
>make[1]: *** [_subdir_pci] Error 2
>make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/drivers'
>make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2

[rest deleted]

-

* Re: Multi-kernel in grub
@ 2003-07-23  4:51     ` Travis Osterman
From: Travis Osterman @ 2003-07-23  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: newbie list

To eliminate another variable, I tried to run the kernel compilation
without changing any kernel settings (just to see if the kernel source
would compile).

Without any configuration changes at all:
# make mrproper		// no errors
# make clean		// no errors
# make xconfig		// no errors
# make dep		// no errors
# make bzImage		// below (seems fine)

tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT >
bzImage
Root device is (8, 7)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 2621 bytes.
System is 1156 kB
warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'

# make modules		// no errors
# make install		// below

tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT >
bzImage
Root device is (8, 7)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 2621 bytes.
System is 1156 kB
warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-8custom bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ""
+ '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
+ '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
+ exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-8custom bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ''
/lib/modules/2.4.20-8custom is not a directory.
mkinitrd failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [install] Error 2

# make modules_install	// no errors

Thanks again for all your help in sorting through this with me.

-- Travis

@ 2003-07-23  6:24       ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-07-23  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: travis, newbie list

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 06:51, Travis Osterman wrote:
> To eliminate another variable, I tried to run the kernel compilation
> without changing any kernel settings (just to see if the kernel source
> would compile).
>
> Without any configuration changes at all:
> # make mrproper		// no errors
> # make clean		// no errors
> # make xconfig		// no errors
> # make dep		// no errors
> # make bzImage		// below (seems fine)
>
> tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT >
> bzImage
> Root device is (8, 7)
> Boot sector 512 bytes.
> Setup is 2621 bytes.
> System is 1156 kB
> warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
>
> # make modules		// no errors

You missed make modules_install (see comment below).

> # make install		// below
>
> tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT >
> bzImage
> Root device is (8, 7)
> Boot sector 512 bytes.
> Setup is 2621 bytes.
> System is 1156 kB
> warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
> sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-8custom bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ""
> + '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
> + '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
> + exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-8custom bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ''
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8custom is not a directory.

The above is caused because you did not do make modules_install .

> mkinitrd failed
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> # make modules_install	// no errors

Too late, that is of no good at this stage.

I have a help page for makeing a kernel at;

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/kernel.htm

It may well help you in compiling, there is no ifo on grub tho'.

@ 2003-07-23 14:58       ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-07-23 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dzlotnik, Dan Zlotnikov, linux-newbie

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 18:28, Dan Zlotnikov wrote:

> I proceed to do the following (cdrom is mounted, accord. to fuser no
> processes are using it)
> alpha:/cdrom# adsl-start
> . Connected!
>
> alpha:/cdrom#fuser /cdrom/
> /cdrom/:              2176c  2485c  2513c  2515c
>
> The processes are: (incidentally, this is all being done as root)
>
> root      2176  0.0  0.4  2308 1392 pts/2    S    10:42   0:00 bash
> root      2485  0.0  0.3  2080 1048 pts/2    S    12:18   0:00 /bin/sh
> /usr/sbin/adsl-connect
> root      2513  0.0  0.2  1936  912 ?        S    12:18   0:00
> /usr/sbin/pppd pty /usr/sbin/pppoe -p /var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe
> -I eth0 -T 80 -U  -m 1412    noi
> root      2515  0.0  0.1  1212  440 ?        S    12:18   0:00
> /usr/sbin/pppoe -p /var/run/pppoe.conf-adsl.pid.pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -U -m
> 1412
>
> For some obscure reason, my running adsl-start from /cdrom has mated the
> processes to the directory.
>
> Is that supposed to happen?

It does not mate the process to that directory as such, the system keeps a
track of what is started and where it was started from.
You can find all associated process in the /proc filesystem under PID's shown
by fuser /cdrom

As someone else mentioned you can try umount -l providing you use a kernel
higher than 2.4.10.

--

@ 2003-07-24  3:20         ` Travis Osterman
From: Travis Osterman @ 2003-07-24  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-newbie

I thank everyone again for their patience with me.  I have tried to methodically note everything I have done during the kernel compilation below.  Everything seems fine until the make install step.

make distclean // no errors
make clean // (probably redudant) no errors
emacs Makefile & // changed 'EXTRAVERSION = -first-try'
make mrproper // no errors
make xconfig // didn't change anything
make dep // no errors
make bzImage // seems fine, see below

Root device is (8, 7)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 2623 bytes.
System is 1156 kB
warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'

make modules // no errors
make modules_install // no errors
make install // errors, see below

warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-first-try bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ""
+ '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
+ '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
+ exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-first-try bzImage
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ''
No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.20-first-try
mkinitrd failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [install] Error 2

  Will these errors cause problems if I bypass the 'make install' and
copy files to my /boot dir?  Thanks again for the help.

-- Travis

-

* Re: Multi-kernel in grub
@ 2003-07-24  7:54           ` Julien Didron
From: Julien Didron @ 2003-07-24  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: travis, linux-newbie

To compile a kernel easily :
make mrproper (if you like, I don't even bother)
make xconfig or menuconfig or config
make dep (with kernel 2.4.x not needed anymore for 2.5.x and up)
make bzImage
(assuming your PC is intel based)
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/another_name_if_you_want_to
make modules
make modules_install

then that's it for the compilation ! there's no need for another "make" ;o)

just edit lilo or grub or whatever boot loader you use, and point it to the
right image (ie /boot/bzImage or the name you've given it)

reboot, and then type 'uname -a' after login in and you'll see if you did
boot on the right kernel.

see ya

> I thank everyone again for their patience with me.  I have tried to
> methodically note everything I have done during the kernel
> compilation below.  Everything seems fine until the make install step.
>
> make distclean // no errors
> make clean // (probably redudant) no errors
> emacs Makefile & // changed 'EXTRAVERSION = -first-try'
> make mrproper // no errors
> make xconfig // didn't change anything
> make dep // no errors
> make bzImage // seems fine, see below
>
> Root device is (8, 7)
> Boot sector 512 bytes.
> Setup is 2623 bytes.
> System is 1156 kB
> warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
>
> make modules // no errors
> make modules_install // no errors
> make install // errors, see below
>
> warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
> sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-first-try bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ""
> + '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
> + '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
> + exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-first-try bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ''
> No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.20-first-try
> mkinitrd failed
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
>   Will these errors cause problems if I bypass the 'make install' and
> copy files to my /boot dir?  Thanks again for the help.
>
> -- Travis
>
> -
> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-
> newbie" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org More
> majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html Please
> read the FAQ at http://www.linux-learn.org/faqs
------- End of Original Message -------

-

* Re: Multi-kernel in grub
@ 2003-07-24 12:32           ` pa3gcu
From: pa3gcu @ 2003-07-24 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: travis, linux-newbie

On Thursday 24 July 2003 05:20, Travis Osterman wrote:
> I thank everyone again for their patience with me.  I have tried to
> methodically note everything I have done during the kernel compilation
> below.  Everything seems fine until the make install step.

The copy the image to /boot by hand and update your bootloader config file
accordingly and if lilo is used rerun lilo. I belive you mentioned grub tho'.

> make modules // no errors
> make modules_install // no errors
> make install // errors, see below
>
> warning: kernel is too big for standalone boot from floppy
> sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.20-first-try bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ""
> + '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
> + '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
> + exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.20-first-try bzImage
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/System.map ''
> No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.20-first-try
> mkinitrd failed
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/arch/i386/boot'
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
>   Will these errors cause problems if I bypass the 'make install' and
> copy files to my /boot dir?  Thanks again for the help.

If you dont need the aic7xxx scsi driver no.