* Re: userland nfs server
       [not found] <1766745211.75.1311956818895.JavaMail.root@thunderbeast.private.linuxbox.com>
@ 2011-07-29 16:30 ` Matt W. Benjamin
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2011-07-29 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Sage,

We (Linux Box) have built and published a native FSAL for Ceph, which is pretty advanced, and we've submitted the FSAL driver code upstream for review Philippe Deniel.

In addition, we're working on pNFS support in Ganesha and Ceph, and have a prototype file-based pNFS layout driver for the FSAL that takes advantage of Ceph OSDs for parallel IO.

We're actively extending these efforts and there should be some publication forthcoming.

We have an external git repository here:

    git://github.com/aemerson-linuxbox/ganesha.git

We would really appreciate your feedback--and guidance on how to participate in Ceph, we'd like to.

Matt

----- "Sage Weil" <sage@newdream.net> wrote:

> Has anyone looked at Genesha?
>
> 	http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/nfs-ganesha/
>
> In principle it would probably be pretty straightforward to wire that
> up
> to libceph and avoid the kernel NFS server for reexporting ceph via
> NFS...
>
> sage
> in

Matt Benjamin

The Linux Box
206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
Ann Arbor, MI  48104

http://linuxbox.com

tel. 734-761-4689
fax. 734-769-8938
cel. 734-216-5309

* Re: userland nfs server
@ 2011-07-29 17:21   ` Brian Chrisman
From: Brian Chrisman @ 2011-07-29 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Interesting... I'll pull your Ganesha code and do some testing... I
don't see any docs, should I assume there's little difference with
Ganesha?

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Matt W. Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> We (Linux Box) have built and published a native FSAL for Ceph, which is pretty advanced, and we've submitted the FSAL driver code upstream for review Philippe Deniel.
>
> In addition, we're working on pNFS support in Ganesha and Ceph, and have a prototype file-based pNFS layout driver for the FSAL that takes advantage of Ceph OSDs for parallel IO.
>
> We're actively extending these efforts and there should be some publication forthcoming.
>
> We have an external git repository here:
>
>    git://github.com/aemerson-linuxbox/ganesha.git
>
> We would really appreciate your feedback--and guidance on how to participate in Ceph, we'd like to.
>
> Matt
>
> ----- "Sage Weil" <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone looked at Genesha?
>>
>>       http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/nfs-ganesha/
>>
>> In principle it would probably be pretty straightforward to wire that
>> up
>> to libceph and avoid the kernel NFS server for reexporting ceph via
>> NFS...
>>
>> sage
>> --
>> in

> Matt Benjamin
>
> The Linux Box
> 206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
> Ann Arbor, MI  48104
>
> http://linuxbox.com
>
> tel. 734-761-4689
> fax. 734-769-8938
> cel. 734-216-5309

* Re: userland nfs server
@ 2011-07-29 18:43   ` Brian Chrisman
From: Brian Chrisman @ 2011-07-29 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM, Matt W. Benjamin <matt@linuxbox.com> wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> We (Linux Box) have built and published a native FSAL for Ceph, which is pretty advanced, and we've submitted the FSAL driver code upstream for review Philippe Deniel.

Looking at the FSAL_CEPH, is this expecting the filesystem to be
mounted via the ceph kernel client?  Have you considered building out
an FSAL using libceph as opposed as to writing directly to OSDs
(assumedly via libRADOS or librbd).

> In addition, we're working on pNFS support in Ganesha and Ceph, and have a prototype file-based pNFS layout driver for the FSAL that takes advantage of Ceph OSDs for parallel IO.
>
> We're actively extending these efforts and there should be some publication forthcoming.
>
> We have an external git repository here:
>
>    git://github.com/aemerson-linuxbox/ganesha.git
>
> We would really appreciate your feedback--and guidance on how to participate in Ceph, we'd like to.
>
> Matt
>
> ----- "Sage Weil" <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone looked at Genesha?
>>
>>       http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/nfs-ganesha/
>>
>> In principle it would probably be pretty straightforward to wire that
>> up
>> to libceph and avoid the kernel NFS server for reexporting ceph via
>> NFS...
>>
>> sage
>> --
>> in

> Matt Benjamin
>
> The Linux Box
> 206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
> Ann Arbor, MI  48104
>
> http://linuxbox.com
>
> tel. 734-761-4689
> fax. 734-769-8938
> cel. 734-216-5309

* Re: userland nfs server
@ 2011-07-29 19:05     ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2011-07-29 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Chrisman; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Hi Brian,

FSAL_CEPH doesn't involve the kernel client, rather an incidentally modified libceph and libRADOS--it's linked into Ganesha, not using POSIX.  Writing directly to OSDs is part of the pNFS parallel access strategy.

Matt

@ 2011-07-29 21:48       ` Brian Chrisman
From: Brian Chrisman @ 2011-07-29 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Not sure why this is failing:
AC_CHECK_HEADERS([ceph/libceph.h], [], [AC_MSG_ERROR( missing ceph
include files)])

$ ls -l /usr/include/ceph/libceph.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7543 Jul 26 10:57 /usr/include/ceph/libceph.h

checking for ceph/libceph.h... no
configure: error: missing ceph include files

(I can move this discussion to another ml if preferred.)

* Re: userland nfs server
@ 2011-08-01 18:15       ` Brian Chrisman
       [not found]         ` <307037456.76.1312223424767.JavaMail.root@thunderbeast.private.linuxbox.com>
From: Brian Chrisman @ 2011-08-01 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

vinodeno_t is not accessible via libceph (was it previously?) though
it's still used and it's in mdstypes.h, though it doesn't look like
it'll include in a straight C compile.  Is there a missing include?

[bchrisman (aemerson): src] $ find . -name '*.c' -o -name '*.h' |
xargs grep inodeno
./include/FSAL/FSAL_CEPH/fsal_types.h:   vinodeno_t vi;
./include/FSAL/FSAL_CEPH/fsal_types.h:  vinodeno_t vi;
./include/FSAL/FSAL_CEPH/fsal_types.h:  vinodeno_t vi;
[bchrisman (aemerson): src] $

../../include/FSAL/FSAL_CEPH/fsal_types.h:73: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before ‘vinodeno_t’

from mdstypes:

struct vinodeno_t {
  inodeno_t ino;
  snapid_t snapid;
  vinodeno_t() {}
  vinodeno_t(inodeno_t i, snapid_t s) : ino(i), snapid(s) {}

  void encode(bufferlist& bl) const {
    ::encode(ino, bl);
    ::encode(snapid, bl);
  }
  void decode(bufferlist::iterator& p) {
    ::decode(ino, p);
    ::decode(snapid, p);
  }
};
WRITE_CLASS_ENCODER(vinodeno_t)

* Re: Fwd: userland nfs server
       [not found]         ` <307037456.76.1312223424767.JavaMail.root@thunderbeast.private.linuxbox.com>
@ 2011-08-01 18:38           ` Adam C. Emerson
From: Adam C. Emerson @ 2011-08-01 18:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brchrisman; +Cc: sage, ceph-devel, matt

> vinodeno_t is not accessible via libceph (was it previously?) though
> it's still used and it's in mdstypes.h, though it doesn't look like
> it'll include in a straight C compile.  Is there a missing include?

Sorry about that.  We made a few changes to the ceph client library,
which can be found at git://github.com/aemerson-linuxbox/ceph.git

I recommend repulling NFS-ganesha and using the beforelock branch, for
the moment.

* Re: userland nfs server
@ 2011-08-30 22:02   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2011-08-30 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Matt,

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Matt W. Benjamin wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> We (Linux Box) have built and published a native FSAL for Ceph, which is
> pretty advanced, and we've submitted the FSAL driver code upstream for
> review Philippe Deniel.

Not sure if I said this before, but this is awesome!

> In addition, we're working on pNFS support in Ganesha and Ceph, and have
> a prototype file-based pNFS layout driver for the FSAL that takes
> advantage of Ceph OSDs for parallel IO.
>
> We're actively extending these efforts and there should be some
> publication forthcoming.
>
> We have an external git repository here:
>
>     git://github.com/aemerson-linuxbox/ganesha.git

I just took a look at your ceph.git and it looks like there are several
changes you need to make to libceph.  It also looks like it's based on
v0.27 or thereabouts, which is pretty old now.  There seems to be a mix of
pretty simple/straighforward things that are easily merged upstream, and
some larger API additions that I have some questions about.

Are you guys actively working on this?  Can we work together to get these
libceph API changes merged into the mainline?  I would love to see this
run against the packaged libceph (and get the ceph FSAL upstream into
ganesha).

Thanks!
sage

> We would really appreciate your feedback--and guidance on how to
> participate in Ceph, we'd like to.
>
> Matt
>
> ----- "Sage Weil" <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone looked at Genesha?
> >
> > 	http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/nfs-ganesha/
> >
> > In principle it would probably be pretty straightforward to wire that
> > up
> > to libceph and avoid the kernel NFS server for reexporting ceph via
> > NFS...
> >
> > sage
> > --
> > in

> Matt Benjamin
>
> The Linux Box
> 206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
> Ann Arbor, MI  48104
>
> http://linuxbox.com
>
> tel. 734-761-4689
> fax. 734-769-8938
> cel. 734-216-5309

* Re: userland nfs server
@ 2011-08-30 22:07     ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2011-08-30 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Sage,

Yes, we're actively working on this.  We'd very much like assistance adapting the libceph changes for inclusion.  We can start by updating for recent Ceph.

FSAL_CEPH will definitely merge in Ganesha mainline in the next month or two.

@ 2013-05-01 23:19       ` Koffi Nogbe
From: Koffi Nogbe @ 2013-05-01 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

>Matt W. Benjamin <matt <at> linuxbox.com> writes:

> Hi Sage,
>
> Yes, we're actively working on this.  We'd very much like assistance
adapting the libceph changes for
> inclusion.  We can start by updating for recent Ceph.
>
> FSAL_CEPH will definitely merge in Ganesha mainline in the next month or two.
>
> Matt
>
> ----- "Sage Weil" <sage <at> newdream.net> wrote:
>

>Matt W. Benjamin <matt <at> linuxbox.com> writes:

I m trying to build the CEPH FSAL but apparently I m failing. I was able to
pass the first issue about vinode struct that was resolved by using the ceph
source from linuxbox but I m stopped by this one that I cannot figure out:

/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I../../include    -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -I/usr/include
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/root/nfs-ganesha-1.5.1/libtirpc/tirpc/ -g -O2
-D_REENTRANT -Wall -Wimplicit -Wformat -Wmissing-braces -Wno-pointer-sign
-I../../RPCAL/gssd -MT fsal_dirs.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fsal_dirs.Tpo -c -o
fsal_dirs.lo fsal_dirs.c
libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../include
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/usr/include -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
-I/root/nfs-ganesha-1.5.1/libtirpc/tirpc/ -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT -Wall
-Wimplicit -Wformat -Wmissing-braces -Wno-pointer-sign -I../../RPCAL/gssd
-MT fsal_dirs.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/fsal_dirs.Tpo -c fsal_dirs.c  -fPIC -DPIC
-o .libs/fsal_dirs.o
fsal_dirs.c: In function âCEPHFSAL_readdirâ:
fsal_dirs.c:166: error: cannot convert to a pointer type
fsal_dirs.c:166: error: âcephfsal_cookie_tâ has no member named âcookieâ
fsal_dirs.c:167: error: cannot convert to a pointer type
fsal_dirs.c:167: error: âcephfsal_cookie_tâ has no member named âcookieâ
make[2]: *** [fsal_dirs.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/nfs-ganesha-1.5.1/FSAL/FSAL_CEPH'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/nfs-ganesha-1.5.1/FSAL'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

* Re: userland nfs server
@ 2013-05-01 23:40         ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2013-05-01 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Koffi Nogbe; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Koffi,

It looks like you're building the Ganesha "stable" branch.  You want to be using the
pre-2.0 dev branch--that's the "next" branch from https://github.com/nfs-ganesha/nfs-ganesha.git .

There's some limitations with pNFS in this branch, but you can experiment with ordinary
NFSv3, NFSv4, and 4.1 exports.

Thanks,

Matt

* userland nfs server