* syncing to mainline kernel
@ 2003-10-05  9:13 Louis Garcia
From: Louis Garcia @ 2003-10-05  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fbdev-devel

Any know when all this great new stuff is going to me merged with linus?

--Lou

(sorry for the post on linux-fbdev-commit)

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* Re: syncing to mainline kernel
@ 2003-10-08 14:31 ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-10-08 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Louis Garcia; +Cc: Linux Fbdev development list

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 11:13, Louis Garcia wrote:
> Any know when all this great new stuff is going to me merged with linus?

I've been waiting for this to happen for some time...

Ben.

@ 2003-10-08 18:50   ` James Simmons
From: James Simmons @ 2003-10-08 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt; +Cc: Louis Garcia, Linux Fbdev development list

> On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 11:13, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > Any know when all this great new stuff is going to me merged with linus?
>
> I've been waiting for this to happen for some time...

Very soon. I have new software cursor code that I'm debugging right now.
This is the only thing holding back the syning.

* Re: syncing to mainline kernel
@ 2003-10-08 18:53     ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-10-08 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Simmons; +Cc: Louis Garcia, Linux Fbdev development list

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 20:50, James Simmons wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 11:13, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > > Any know when all this great new stuff is going to me merged with linus?
> >
> > I've been waiting for this to happen for some time...
>
> Very soon. I have new software cursor code that I'm debugging right now.
> This is the only thing holding back the syning.

Great. Note that I may send my new radeonfb to linus directly (though
I'll CC you), same for other fbdev drivers I maintain. I think this
is the right thing to do for driver updates, the fbdev-* trees should
really be only for fbdev core changes imho...

Ben.

* Re: syncing to mainline kernel
@ 2003-10-09  0:41       ` Otto Solares
From: Otto Solares @ 2003-10-09  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
  Cc: James Simmons, Louis Garcia, Linux Fbdev development list

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 08:53:59PM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > > I've been waiting for this to happen for some time...
> >
> > Very soon. I have new software cursor code that I'm debugging right now.
> > This is the only thing holding back the syning.
>
> Great. Note that I may send my new radeonfb to linus directly (though
> I'll CC you), same for other fbdev drivers I maintain. I think this
> is the right thing to do for driver updates, the fbdev-* trees should
> really be only for fbdev core changes imho...

Ben, i have problems with your new radeonfb driver, apart that i have
to update the pci_ids.h and r200.c in both stock 2.6 and your bk tree
to make work my radeon 9200 (rv280 Ya), in your new driver, spaces
becomes '_', and after a while all characteres get messy.  My normal
setup is 1024x768-32@75 but with your driver the only reliable mode is
640x480-8@60.  Any idea?

-solca

* Re: syncing to mainline kernel
@ 2003-10-09  4:51     ` Louis Garcia
From: Louis Garcia @ 2003-10-09  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-fbdev-devel

Linus just announced a stabilization freeze so hope this stuff gets in
before 2.6.0 final.

@ 2003-10-09  7:43         ` Benjamin Herrenschmidt
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt @ 2003-10-09  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otto Solares; +Cc: James Simmons, Louis Garcia, Linux Fbdev development list

> Ben, i have problems with your new radeonfb driver, apart that i have
> to update the pci_ids.h and r200.c in both stock 2.6 and your bk tree
> to make work my radeon 9200 (rv280 Ya), in your new driver, spaces
> becomes '_', and after a while all characteres get messy.  My normal
> setup is 1024x768-32@75 but with your driver the only reliable mode is
> 640x480-8@60.  Any idea?

Regarding PCI IDs, I'm changing that now, I decided to add a separate
drivers/video/aty/ati_ids.h containing a copy of XFree ATI PCI IDs
instead of using the include/linux/pci_ids.h one. That may see odd,
but it helps a lot avoiding the merge problems and makes it easier
to resync with XFree. This is already the case in my bk btw.

Regarding your problem, I don't know what's up with spaces vs '_',
that doesn't ring any bell to me, especially since there is no use
of HW accel in this version, so the chars are really only drawn
by the core fbdev layer.

What do you mean by "reliable mode". What do you get when trying to
use another mode ? It's normal that fbset doesn't work properly in
2.6, this is a known issue. What did you try and what result did you
get ?

Ben.

* Re: syncing to mainline kernel
@ 2003-10-09 18:20           ` Otto Solares
From: Otto Solares @ 2003-10-09 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
  Cc: James Simmons, Louis Garcia, Linux Fbdev development list

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 09:43:26AM +0200, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > Ben, i have problems with your new radeonfb driver, apart that i have
> > to update the pci_ids.h and r200.c in both stock 2.6 and your bk tree
> > to make work my radeon 9200 (rv280 Ya), in your new driver, spaces
> > becomes '_', and after a while all characteres get messy.  My normal
> > setup is 1024x768-32@75 but with your driver the only reliable mode is
> > 640x480-8@60.  Any idea?
>
> Regarding PCI IDs, I'm changing that now, I decided to add a separate
> drivers/video/aty/ati_ids.h containing a copy of XFree ATI PCI IDs
> instead of using the include/linux/pci_ids.h one. That may see odd,
> but it helps a lot avoiding the merge problems and makes it easier
> to resync with XFree. This is already the case in my bk btw.

Good, adding new cards would become easy but i really like the pci_ids.h
approach as is a centralized db, it doesn't take much time to update
the driver to work with my card.

> Regarding your problem, I don't know what's up with spaces vs '_',
> that doesn't ring any bell to me, especially since there is no use
> of HW accel in this version, so the chars are really only drawn
> by the core fbdev layer.
>
> What do you mean by "reliable mode". What do you get when trying to
> use another mode ? It's normal that fbset doesn't work properly in
> 2.6, this is a known issue. What did you try and what result did you
> get ?

I can't set my fbdev to anything different than the booted mode 640x480-8@60,
trying anything else brings me a black screen or unsynched monitor,
i am using Jon's merged driver (benh+khronos) so probably is not your driver's
fault (but edid support is very tempting, although is not used because i'm
working now on an old monitor without ddc :), i will try your driver alone and
report back.

-solca